Notices
tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

Scion Security Rewire (Disable Low Beam Flash)

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if I'm able to put together a small DIY kit for everyone so you guys don't have to go driving around, wasting gas and spending a load of money on shipping cost, would anyone be interested? all you'll need at your end is a wire crimper and a wire stripper (some of these are 2 in 1).

updated 2/7/2009: kits no longer available.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes I'm interested. I would like to do this ASAP.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

reading over the directions here, everything makes sense except one part:

where do you connect the ground? or where did you drill in order to make a new ground connection?

thanks for the help!
Old 02-17-2008, 07:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what I did was remove the fuse panel that is located under the power mirror switch. if you look up the hole, you'll see a convex metal structural piece that I think mounts to the dashboard internally somehow. start a small hole there with a small drill bit. this helps prevent what you do next from slipping. Next, you use a self-tapping screw to ground your lead.

if you don't want to do this, you can always find a bolt somewhere and ground it.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default I will vouch for Tekstyle's DIY kit

Using Tekstyles DIY kit, I was able to disable the lowbeams from flashing w/ my security system (fyi, its a Karr brand alarm, not the Scion Security. it was installed by the dealership). Yay! I can now go buck wild on my panic button!

One word of caution though: Tekstyle's provided wiretap is for use with the thicker gauge wires, like the thick blue ignition wire. I was being cocky and I first tried to tap a preexisting wire that had already been tapped to the blue ignition wire. Well, that wire was too thin and didnt work so well with Tekstyle's kit. Thank goodness he sent me an extra wiretap.

Moral of the story: If you follow his directions exactly, you won't have any problems.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the positive feedback B-Izzle! I was unaware that you were doing this mod to a karr brand alarm system. Though my kit does work with all alarm systems, if you have an aftermarket alarm that has a (-) output when armed wire, you can just use that to trigger your relay to open circuit to the headlight wire at the fusebox.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed my hid's on tuesday but have not had time to install the tekstyle kit. I noticed that my horn no longer honks when I arm my alarm. I have a 5000K kit form www.mobilehid.com. My horn does work when pressing the horn switch and tripping the alarm/panic button.

What could be the cause of this? :?

I dissconected my battery to do the install. I'm wondering if I reseted my personalization settings (if any) when I did that. I looked in the owners manual but did not find any info.
Old 04-17-2008, 08:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry to hear that your horn doesn't work. i don't see why the HID install will cut your horn in anyway. they are on 2 completely different circuits. check your connections. maybe you unplugged something during the install and forgot to plug it back in. check your fuses as well.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tekstyle
sorry to hear that your horn doesn't work. i don't see why the HID install will cut your horn in anyway. they are on 2 completely different circuits. check your connections. maybe you unplugged something during the install and forgot to plug it back in. check your fuses as well.
my horn still works it just doesn't honk when I arm the alarm. panic and horn switch do work.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have an 05 only my signal lights flash. i guess this doesnt apply..
Old 04-18-2008, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ErnieS
i have an 05 only my signal lights flash. i guess this doesnt apply..
did you try pressing the panic button or setting of your alarm?
when your lock/unlock your car only signal and parking lights flash, but when the alarm goes off, lowbeams flash.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:40 AM
5 Year Member

tekstyle's mod is GREAT. my low beams dont flash now which is exactly what i want because i have hids.
im not an electrical person myself and wen i read this DIY i was jus totally lost. its not bcuz he didnt write it good, i jus have no idea wen it comes to stuff like this but luckily for me this guy was in my area so i went to him and he got it done for me. this guy has a lotta patience. he couldnt get my ignition to work after the mod but he kept looking for a way to fix it. i was surprised by the patience he had lol. he was even willing to pay for my repairs if he couldnt fix it but luckily he got it fixed in da end which is good for both of us.
i recommend everyone with hid to buy his kit so u can save ur ballast and if ur in da bay area, jus let him know and he install it for u if u want. he knows his stuff very well.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

tek- did you ever find out what color the wire is for an '05??
Old 02-07-2009, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member

Default I want to get HID's but my alarm flashes my headlights

The kit you are selling comes with everything i need to get this done? obviously minus the tools? How can i get one of these kits?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for your interest. Unfortunately, I am no longer selling kits right now. I just started grad school and haven't had much free time. Sorry everyone.

Best regards
Old 03-14-2009, 10:47 PM
SL Member

Well tekstyle, thank you for the write-up. When you find time to make some more kits, let us know.