Notices
Toyota News / Q+A Things you would like to see or know...

HIDs (High Intensity Discharge) Xenon Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is it really true they don't have the throw of regular halogen? The #1 concern I have for headlights is how far I can see, on low beam, when driving at high speed at night. I could care less what color the light is -- I just want every extra inch I can get between me and that stupid deer.

Does someone have a link to that study?
Old 02-01-2006, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I found the study.

This one? http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...3/overview.htm

Anyway, I'm pretty impressed with the stock lights on the tC. I can't imagine anything better, while still being legal.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by io333
Anyway, I'm pretty impressed with the stock lights on the tC. I can't imagine anything better, while still being legal.
That's probably because they are brand new, Halogen lights tend to dim over time while HIDs stay just as bright until the day they die. Cool article you linked to though, it has some good points.

Six out of 10 vehicles with HIDs and 9 out of 31 with halogens reached the 400-foot marker on our test course with low beams, compared with an average of 335 feet for all models tested... Both types of lights produced our worst performers. The HID-equipped Audi TT’s low beams lit only to our 200-foot marker, while the halogen-equipped Chrysler Sebring and Pontiac Grand Prix provided weak, nonuniform light.
While is appears that the HIDs traveled farther on average it doesn't mean all HIDs will perform well (of course neither do all Halogen either) and Halogen lights can travel as far or further if they are quality ones- I'm sure you get what you pay for. Some are good quality some are not. All HIDs will be brighter and clearer and last longer however.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The only real benefit I see, other than a very slight bling factor that most people I know dont even notice, is the longer life... but, I dont think I have ever purchased more than 3 sets of bulbs over the life of a vehicle. So even if I bought some "super white, super blue...blah blah" "expensive" bulbs I would spend around $90 over the life of the car on them. For HIDs to make up for thier cost in reliability, I would have to had replaced normal bulbs 20 times over the life of the vehicle... so they are useless in this case. They may last 50 years for all I know... but where will your car be then???

As far as clearer lighting.. I will give them that, but it is not that big of a difference. Especially a $600 difference. I can see more than well with stock headlights.

As far as lighting distance, we have seen that even the good ones perform slightly better than halogens, and some perform worse than the better halogens, so there is not necessarilly a huge difference, if one at all some of the time.

Then you have to look at some of the blinding issues with many of them. I would say that over half the HIDs I see coming at me on the road make me want to pull the driver over and feed them the bulbs. And try to ride towards those same ones on a motorcycle where you dont have a big, thick partially refractive windshield in front of you. Any lights that blind other drivers should (and are) be illegal.

So, if you like them that much, then more power to you. But keep in mind the points above and the study mentioned.

For reliablity: Absolutely not worth the price
For vision: Some benefit on the better ones, but not always the better choice
For blinding factor: A quality set should not blind others.. but many do terribly
For bling: If you are really looking for it I guess that is there. But many dont really notice

I am not bashing those who like them. If you do and it is worth it to you then you should go find some.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
For reliablity: Absolutely not worth the price
For vision: Some benefit on the better ones, but not always the better choice
For blinding factor: A quality set should not blind others.. but many do terribly
For bling: If you are really looking for it I guess that is there. But many dont really notice
That's a good sum of it, except they do give a much brighter and clearer vision than you give them credit for. But bottom line, people mostly want HIDs for the bling. For the same reason they spend $400 on a spoiler, $900 on a ground effects kit, and $1,500 on 18" wheels. I'd go as far as saying people want HIDs as much or more than all of the above. Just look on the forums at all the people putting these in themselves because Scion won't offer it as an option.