Notices
Website Discussion Problem? Let us know about it here...

Site Improvements and Priority

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 12:32 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Site Improvements and Priority

OK guys, this topic is an open discussion of what you think needs to be improved (or fixed) on this site and put that list into an order most important to least important.

Lets start by throwing out the things that you think the site needs -- they could be new features, improvements to existing features or just fixes for something that isn't working right.

I will preface this by saying that phpbb 3.0 is nearing release and as soon as a stable version is available I am going to upgrade the forums. A complete list of the forum features that will be available are here:
http://area51.phpbb.com/docs/features.html

Some other ideas that I have...

- Monthly Award for Highly Ranked Vehicle in Registry
The monthly featured ride is getting tiresome... and I don't necessarily think I should be the one that chooses and writes the feature each month. I am thinking that it should be based on our voting system in the registry. It has been four days and I haven't gotten a single email asking when the next feature is coming out. And I don't have one ready anyway!

- Community Based Buyers Guides
- The parts database isn't getting much use. I am thinking that a community-based Buyers Guide for the major component groups might be better than the database format. It is a little scattered, and while it does work OK it might be easier to have something like this instead: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55160 . We could keep the parts database, but not sure if we would need it at that point.

- Site Layout To Accommodate Larger Resolutions
I am tinkering with a slightly revised layout for the site that will allow it to stretch to the width of any monitor instead of being a fixzed 800 pixels wide. This is still in testing and I have not committed to the layout yet.

- Chat Themes and Timetables
It might be nice to set a more controlled chat environment with themes at certain times, possibly celebrities/guest experts, and a moderated format. This would require locating an affordable FLASH-based chat system -- I will not install any java-based systems as many people behind firewalls can not use them.

- More User-friendly and Customizable Profile Pages
The profile pages could have more features and could me changed around more - ala MySpace. It would also be nice to link your friends, etc, just like MySpace.

- Integrate New Classifieds System
Instead of using the forums for classifieds we would have a real classifieds database that is easier to search, etc.

OK, let me have your ideas!
Old 04-05-2006, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

New chat!!!! Possibly with moderation???
possibly bigger PM boxes?
Old 04-05-2006, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Site Improvements and Priority

Originally Posted by scionlife
It might be nice to set a more controlled chat environment with themes at certain times, possibly celebrities/guest experts, and a moderated format. This would require locating an affordable FLASH-based chat system -- I will not install any java-based systems as many people behind firewalls can not use them.
This I like. You could have Scion marketing execs or something, or maybe one of the drag car drivers or something like that. There's a lot to go with there.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:50 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Feedback for buyers and sellers in PPC.

I love the chat idea.

And my PM box is always full.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Hmmm... you know how we have a dealer and parts review portion of the site.... maybe we should have a test drive portion? of course just like the dealer reviews, the test drive reviews would be monitored.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1. trader rating /buyer and seller feedback
2. bigger PM boxes
3. bigger avatar?
Old 04-05-2006, 01:19 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Nice, keep it going guys!
Old 04-05-2006, 12:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When you post a message and get the screen where it tells you to "Click here to return to your message | Click here to return to the forum."
I would like a choice in what it defaults to. I personally would like it to go to the forum every time.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

When I receive a PM. I'd like the email that is sent to show the title of the PM and the author.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I like all the ideas thus far..
Old 04-05-2006, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

1. bigger PM boxes capacity
2. instead of 80 x 80 avatar can you move it up to 100 x 100 possibly
3. Traders' feedback rating

Old 04-05-2006, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ I think it's 80x80 b/c of the size of the other profile images. If you look on the left side and have an 80px wide avatar, it pretty much matches up with the other items.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think 80x80 is fine, like ack said it matches with the rest of the stuff in the left columm. Plus it's a simple way to save a small amount of server space.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

okay..80 x 80 then by popular demand. let the avatar size they way it is now.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Site Improvements and Priority

- Monthly Award for Highly Ranked Vehicle in Registry
The monthly featured ride is getting tiresome... and I don't necessarily think I should be the one that chooses and writes the feature each month. I am thinking that it should be based on our voting system in the registry. It has been four days and I haven't gotten a single email asking when the next feature is coming out. And I don't have one ready anyway!
I read a lot of stuff and never read this.

It might be nice to set a more controlled chat environment with themes at certain times, possibly celebrities/guest experts, and a moderated format. This would require locating an affordable FLASH-based chat system -- I will not install any java-based systems as many people behind firewalls can not use them.[/b]
with so many other ways to "chat", a centralized "interview" chat would allow me visit and interact with a scheduled guest and host. Announcements could advertise "on this date and at this time we'll be talking with this person...join us".
Old 04-10-2006, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I dont like how it is checked automatically send me an e-mail when i got a reply. I think it should be unchecked at first.

Fix the site so it will show images that have a space on the file name.

Seller rating right next to the username
Old 04-11-2006, 12:47 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Cool -- keep going guys -- anything and everything you can think of.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:18 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Search results that take you directly to the post with the found terms rather than the beginning of a 300 post topic...
Old 04-11-2006, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I want to be able to add additional pictures hosted somewhere else on my profile. The space limit on the profile only allow people to post a few not so high quality picture.

SL need to run an official ruffle ticket lottery that is officially runned by SL. Post a prize.. once so many # of tickets have been sold (that will cover the item price and shipping), SL will pick a winner. For example CAI cost $250 shipped.. sell 250 tickets $1 each. Run a program to pic a random number between 1 to 250. Of course you need to add pay pal fee. Hell.. maybe do Supercharger for $5 a ticket.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

also, I dont think the navigation is that great.. I've been a member for a while and I really thought you guys deleted the owner lounge (general discussion) for tC because when I put my mouse over forums>tc owners lounge> it will give me pop up windows of choices. I didnt know I could actually click on tC owners lounge instead of picking one of the forum. I think if you were a noob, you will never make it to the owners lounge. The will think you have to choose between aero, power, fi, ice, suspension, or wheel.

I hope that makes sense.. I havent been to the general discussion tc forum in ages.. forgot about it!!!!

Quick Reply: Site Improvements and Priority