Notices
Website Discussion Problem? Let us know about it here...

Site Improvements and Priority

Old 04-18-2006, 01:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Limit the amount of lines of text in peoples signatures! Im sick of reading through threads and peoples sigs are 10 times longer than the largest reply in the thread!. 5 lines max would work fine.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Would it be possible to make the thread preview box that appears when you move your cursor over a topic not go away until you move your cursor? It's kind of annoying reading a preview and having the box disappear before im done so i hav to move my mouse back to that spot.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I would like to be able to delete threads from the my posts list. I did posted there once, but don't want to see it again a month later when someone raises it from the dead just to call someone stupid or whatever. But I would like the choice to keep it or trash it.
Some posts I'm glad I did. Some posts I wish I never did.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:45 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Frosty, go to your Watched Topics:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/watched_topics.php
Remove any that you don't want to watch.
Easiest way to do it.

OR, if you just got notified you can click not to watch that one right from the notifying e-mail...

OR, each page has a clickable link in the lower left corner to add or remove that topic from your 'watched_topics' list.

Enjoy! :D

Tom
Old 04-19-2006, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

tom, I think frosty is taling about the egosearch.

I think he wants to be able to avoid seeing 'check out my new dome light' at the top of his list every time some clown opens that thread up to insult the OP.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by cherryBox

I think he wants to be able to avoid seeing 'check out my new dome light' at the top of his list every time some clown opens that thread up to insult the OP.
Yea, I like that idea as well. Like the 377 page "Word association game!!!" I dont care about that thread anymore, I dont want to see it on my Egosearch.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I may be slightly biased because I have gone to this forum since 2002, but I think it is the best layout of all the forums I go to.

http://www.j-body.org/

The front page is neatly laid out and the menu on the left expands when clicked. When you click Forums, all the available ones will slide out. Maybe you ould incorporate the same type of thing BUT allowing us to show and hide the forums we want. When you log in, the menu will be how you left it.

If you also notice, rather than having a "post quick reply" on the forum screen and a button to post a regular reply, they have the regular post set-up at the bottom already, which I like better.

LOL, the one thing they do NOT have is an edit button for non-mods. Everyone wants one, but they do not like the idea of people being idiots and then being able to edit their post (they want to implement a feature where the original will saved on the server) and confuse everyone.

Though I agree about being able to put pictures in your profile from other hosted sources. I have a school server to use and damnit, its not like I use it for anything else.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:03 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zer0
Originally Posted by cherryBox

Yea, I like that idea as well. Like the 377 page "Word association game!!!" I dont care about that thread anymore, I dont want to see it on my Egosearch.
Ah! I didn't realize he was talking about the 'egosearch' since I don't use it because it is totally useless...

Any "search" for specific posts ("MY POSTS") that does not bring back those specific posts, but only vast seas of places where I can further manually look for those posts, is useless.

Same when I use the advanced search to look for something I posted in the past, give it specific words used in the post, and limit the search to a specific author (me). The search results do not show the posts it found, but merely the topics they are in, and leaves it for me to find where in heck the post is in a 300+ post topic. *sigh* USELESS!

SUGGESTION: When any search finds a specific post that matches the searched for criteria, link to THAT POST, not a topic for the user to manually go through, page after page, after page.

Sorry I misread his question. I haven't used the ego search for months, and didn't make the connection.

Tom
Old 04-19-2006, 11:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Sorry Tom, Cherrybox is right. I wasn't clear about that, My bad.
I start drinking at noon.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I think the "egosearch" could be a great tool. Just right now it's not very useable. (for some reason I think it's sad that so many people think it useless)

I would like to see a page of just the Advertising banners and such. Quite often I see something on a banner after I clicked to go to another page and then can't find it again. That would be VERY helpful to me. I know what the banner looks like. I just don't know who it was for.
But, what do I know. I just want to give the advertisers my money.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member

I believe the speed of the site could be improved. The site gets bogged down at night and it takes over 15 seconds to retrieve pages.

It looks like this site is hosted on a shared server. There is nothing wrong with a shared server, but with the amount of traffic this site is receiving, it would benefit the admins plus the members to split the website between servers to reduce load. An easy way to do this is purchase another shared account and host only the mysql db there and have everything else hosted where it is currently.

If you would like to know more about this feel free to ask me. I've been hosting websites for over 4 years.

Thanks,
David Guerra
Old 04-26-2006, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by BrianxB
Limit the amount of lines of text in peoples signatures! Im sick of reading through threads and peoples sigs are 10 times longer than the largest reply in the thread!. 5 lines max would work fine.
i like the length of the sig as it is. i couldnt fit what i have in it now if it was shorter.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
Search results that take you directly to the post with the found terms rather than the beginning of a 300 post topic...
I agree with this^^^ Only I would add that there should also be suggested searches. If you dont type your search exactly, you either get nothing or you get huge amounts of results for the most part.

Its hard to get exactly what you are searching for sometimes, which might be why so many people complain to search (in posts). They could be searching and just not finding.

I would also suggest anyone that is just out and out flaming someone else should get their post deleted instead of letting a flame-fest continue resulting in locking the whole thread.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

we should nominate Scions of the month by category and then vote for the winner...
Old 05-03-2006, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BrianxB
There is a limit - 10 lines.

5. I will keep my signature free of images or cluttered text.
-No Pictures, Icons, Avatars or Smileys.
-Only 1 to 10 lines of text (including blanks) are allowed
But here's another suggestion... in the DARK grey bar up top, there's Recent Posts and My Posts - how about a New Posts button next to those (for the "unanswered" link).
Old 05-15-2006, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, I'm new and there's been just 3 things that I've found to be annoying.

1> Thomas already mentioned where in a search you can't find your search text in some 300 post topic.

2> When I get a list of search results, I click on a subject, read it, then try to go back to the results page. I get an error msg that the page can't be displayed and I have to resend the data. every time. What a pain. How about having the post open in a new window? You just close that window and you still have your search results.

3>Cruising through the member list. Pretty much impossible now. If you are trying to find a person....let's say the name starts with N...How are you going to get to that page? There are ohh....734 pages now of members? How about some way to jump to page #, or links to As, Bs, Cs, etc.?

Oh. I was just wondering if there was some way to have a list of DIYs sorted by model. I'd love to see all the stuff I can do as a list rather than trying to think of something and searching. There may be mods I never imagined and wouldn't know of it, and therefore couldn't search for it.

OK. That's it. Thanks for a great site!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I agree with the last post about searching for members. it is soooo hard to search for one you were looking for, especially if it is in the middle of the alphabet. it would make it simpler if we could search by the starting letter of the screen name.

my only other suggestion, and the one that i wanted to add, is that it is very hard to go through a post with 120+ pages. what i would like to see is a drop-down menu for the page number you would like to go to instead of having to skip to page 3, then go from there when you really need to go to page 49 of 122. this takes allllllllll day. i would love for this modification to be done.

thanx!

- Desirée
Old 05-15-2006, 09:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by xA-llent
Oh. I was just wondering if there was some way to have a list of DIYs sorted by model. I'd love to see all the stuff I can do as a list rather than trying to think of something and searching. There may be mods I never imagined and wouldn't know of it, and therefore couldn't search for it.

OK. That's it. Thanks for a great site!
umm.. think there is... a drop down on the DIY/TECH page that can sort by xA/xB/tC.... or there at least used to be...hmm will have to double check... but it was just above the listing of possible DIY/Tech articals
Old 05-15-2006, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh! My bad! Hadn't seen that before. You are corrrect. Thanks!
Old 05-15-2006, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Still, lot of good stuff xA-llent. Good job.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Site Improvements and Priority