Notices
xA Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xA

Ground Wire Kit Install (Homemade)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

A 4awg wire has considerably more resistance then the engine block. Among other things this "mod" will not stop or lessen is static discharge when exiting the car (unrelated to parallel wires under the hood).

Just cleaning the existing connections then coating with a anti-oxide compound where the factory grounds attach to in the chassis would of produced better results then adding more wires and now introducing “ground loops”.

…by the way a 3 1/2 digit DMM is not a suitable device to use as reference standard since it does not have enough resolution to generate valid results.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow This this mod is awesome. I did it three days ago and I have to say its incredible just the difference in the throttle response alone was worth the effort.

Felt like I was driving and different car. they should have made this stock.

Great write up. thanks.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default ground wire kit

How much did everyone spend on parts for this kit? Wheres the easyist place to find everything u need? Any info would be great thankx
Old 04-30-2007, 06:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bought 8ga. wire from Home Depot for about $1/ft.
Then I bought 30 8ga ring terminals from:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290069371801
for $6.50. The wire crimper I have already. It's only supposed to go down to 10ga, but crimping the 8ga rings worked fine.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

For those people with auto and grounded to it, where did you attach the ground? I can see one bolt straight down behind the airbox, and then there's a few around the housing. I can't really tell what the one pointing down is for. It doesn't really look like it's holding anything together, but I don't want to accidentally release something internally if I remove it.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just use the same bolt that the stock ground wire is attached to. Under the airbox. Just follow the wire that branches off from the battery negative..the same one that also grounds to the body.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the negative lead was taken off the battery, how would the ECU set? I know how to set the clock, and the radio. TIA.

As I have a stoplight idle really rough, which goes away if I shift to neutral or park. I'll try this to see if there is any difference.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The ECU will reset. You shouldn't notice any difference though. Just reset your clock and radio presets. Actually if you disconnect and reconnect the battery ground
within in minute or two the radio will probably retain it's memory. I know mine has at times.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Just did mine today...4-gauge power wire from KNukonceptz on Ebay instead of at their site. It was much less expensive than ordering from their website.

Thanks for the great write up!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 11:06 PM
SL Member

Just installed this on my XA. I got all the supplies fro Oznium. I used the Stinger Pro 4 guage wire. I can'te believe the differece this mod made! My XA has 800 miles on it. The throttle response and shifting are incredible now. This is a must do mod. Thank you for the write up.... good stuff.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Did this mod about a week ago and for the price how can you go wrong....Ive noticed a better throttle reponse and smoother shifts than before.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

took 30 mins to finish this mod after i went shopping for parts. i used a 10 gauge wire, b/c no one carried an 8 gauge in my area.

i hope to see the same differences as everyone else
Old 06-08-2007, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I don't know if it's been mentioned in the thread (as I didn't read it all - at work, can't really do that), but I am hoping this works for the tC. If not, do you know where the points would be?

I've search for this topic for the tC, but didn't find anything. I will look harder when I get home. But if anyone else can help me find it, I would appreciate it. :D
Old 06-08-2007, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team XcelsiA
SL Member

I did this mod myself the other day. I was very skeptical, but now I echo what everyone else has said. Throttle response is much better and the shifts in the automatic is now very smooth. I didn't notice any hp change or stereo change, and my car only has 1800 miles on it.

I got my parts from ebay. Tsunami high performance 8ga wire for about 1.00 a foot, and the rings I got for 12 for 48 gold plated ones (smallest quantity I could find). Heat Shrink and Wire crimpers I got at Fry's.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Amoxapine, there are a few tCs on here that have done it. One person has a cardomain on it. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/861695/3 I'm checking it out to, just looked at our engine bay and there seems like lots of good points to mount to. I have a A/T and everyone on here talks about putting a ground on it and then to the battery for better shifting. I don't see how unless the tC is different b/c I have a stock ground that goes directly from the top of the tranny to the neg on the batt. As far as the others I'd say they might help some. Seems like a hit or miss thing with some cars.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds good and easy to do. Although I have a stick shift xa 2006 model, my lights, ac fan, etc will slow or dim when my engine returns to idle then they return to original speed and brightness. Also at idle with or without ac on it does go from smooth to a slight rumble to a smooth idle again. Ive stalled it about once a month when hitting the gas and it just dies, so sounds like unless my voltage regulator in my alternator is bad, this will help. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I DID IT, I DID IT, WOW!!!!

I used 10 guage wire and connecters as I could not find 8 locally at a parts store and I got connectors that came prefitted with heat shrink from advance auto.

I started up and it sounded the same however as I just released the clutch I notice it was smoother as the rpms dip to 500. It seemed to have better low end throttle response when driving around the hizzie at 15 mph and shifting gears, stop and going driving. With ac off, I swear it was idling at what looked like 400 rpms. It was below the half way mark between 0 and 1 once it warmmed up. THe ac fan speed still dipped when I came to a stop light and returned to normal speed, so that problem was not fixed.

Great find.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:15 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i get a rough idle with my a/c on too, i just turn it off when i'm at a stop light and turn it back on when i go
Old 06-18-2007, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My idle would always vary from smooth to rough with or without the ac on. Not any more. I did stall it out at the wendys just releasing the clutch and putter around the parking lot.

I sure miss that from the mercedes 240d I owned. I would always release the clutch, then give it some gas. Got to do the reverse with the scion.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am still in shock and awe over this mod. With ac set to fan speed of 3 I can squeal tires at 2 grand. Got to watch it where I use to stall it.

Quick Reply: Ground Wire Kit Install (Homemade)