Notices
xB Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xB

Air Suspension Information

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by squirrel
BOXZILA ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see it in person again.
LOOKS HOTTT!!! but thats something brad, ken, and i didnt really need to see...
Old 05-31-2004, 04:17 PM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by xB ey
Originally Posted by squirrel
BOXZILA ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to see it in person again.
LOOKS HOTTT!!! but thats something brad, ken, and i didnt really need to see...
Uh yeah. I really don't NEED to see it. Dang, everyone is getting supa low.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

are the bags 'mounted' or do they just sit in there? I read in one of eric's original posts, that he had to 're-set' the bags after going all the way up.

I talked to a few guys with Air Ride at Showfest in greenville a few weeks ago, and he said there was no plans for an xB kit. Easy street however, said they were working on one.

MattB
Old 06-05-2004, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member

ok well there are alot of pro and cons to air ride ive been reading and reading some have good thing to say and some shouldnt be talking at all.

oh yeah by the way what up phil havent talk to u in a while

mind is set up with bags all around camber does change in the front of a macpherson strut type car from -2.0 degrees laid out to a 0.5 degrees raised up . raised im at stock height laid out i tuck 19" wheels so depending on how you do it depends on how low or high you get air strokes good on heavier cars with honda as an example the stroke sits in the center of the lower control arm giving the stroke more leverage on lifting the car and ride quaility on a mac type car the stroke is at the end of the control arm deminishing the lift of a honda and the ride of horse drawn carriage.

<html></html>

wheel size does not matter.

Ive also read about splitting up the rear valve set up it do this would just cause you to spend more money on valves and fittings. the rear is a straight axle with torsion stability splitting up the rear bags cancels the purpose of the torsion suspension it does let it work. need to split the front because the bags will send air to each other while turning giving a wild body roll my scion handles better now then stock

<html></html>
Old 06-05-2004, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

is the top pic laid out? looks like it is still up some off the rim?
Old 06-05-2004, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by sadistic1
my scion handles better now then stock

Your xB looks really good.

Phil is in Pleasanton at the GoodGuys show, but I wanted to chime in and say that since we bagged the rear of the Scion the ride is so much better. I would even argue that it is better than the stock ride. The front is still ultra tight since it is just ground control, but hopefully we will get some time to get the front bagged before this show season is over.

Vicki
Old 06-05-2004, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member

have phil call me ill sent you up some
Old 06-05-2004, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member

the front will only get to the top of the rim without cutting the strut is completly collapsed
Old 06-10-2004, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default heres mine

tttt

Last edited by bonzai272; 11-05-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Originally Posted by eric m.
one problem i always have is scraping my tank if i drop it down when i'm moving. there is a movie of my sparking on the freeway last year during a scion meet that another member took. it looks cool but i'm afraid that eventually it's going to put a hole in the tank which obviously would be bad.
I was just looking through some old videos and found the one of eric m throwing sparks. http://www.randode.com/ericmsparks.MPG
Old 08-14-2004, 12:12 AM
5 Year Member

Default Air Ride

For those front end suspensions we are running our new X-Air system. With the X-Air the bottom bracket is precision machined with 3 bearings pressed into it. The lower bracket rotates on the shaft of the cylinder allowing the front ends to drop all the way down as you can tell on Steez's Xb. As you turn your steering the bracket rotates on the shaft of the cylinder. No longer will you twist the shaft and wear out the seal or rotate the entire cylinder causing airline issues.

On the shaft of the cylinder its over 1 1/4" thick of harden steel. I would like to see this cylinder bend or snap!

We invite you to go purchase the current Issue of Import Racer and there is the 6 page tech article for the full install.

To view another picture of a Xb goto Truckrun.net

Currently we are running this system on almost a doz. scions and its laying the front ends out!!

There is other bag strut applications out on the market place, however on the Xb's they sit at aprox the 2" away from the tire laid out.

With the X-Air system in the front end its a DIRECT BOLT-ON application and maximum drop. (Scion's sit with the front tires tucked all the way up inside the fenders.

If you do not wish your car to go that low, we can always assemble your brackets differently to adjust how low and high your car will go.

If you have any questions please feel free to give us a call at 877-399-9987
Old 08-14-2004, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Re: Air Ride

Originally Posted by ExcentrixAuto
For those front end suspensions we are running our new X-Air system. With the X-Air the bottom bracket is precision machined with 3 bearings pressed into it. The lower bracket rotates on the shaft of the cylinder allowing the front ends to drop all the way down as you can tell on Steez's Xb. As you turn your steering the bracket rotates on the shaft of the cylinder. No longer will you twist the shaft and wear out the seal or rotate the entire cylinder causing airline issues.

On the shaft of the cylinder its over 1 1/4" thick of harden steel. I would like to see this cylinder bend or snap!

We invite you to go purchase the current Issue of Import Racer and there is the 6 page tech article for the full install.

To view another picture of a Xb goto Truckrun.net

Currently we are running this system on almost a doz. scions and its laying the front ends out!!

There is other bag strut applications out on the market place, however on the Xb's they sit at aprox the 2" away from the tire laid out.

With the X-Air system in the front end its a DIRECT BOLT-ON application and maximum drop. (Scion's sit with the front tires tucked all the way up inside the fenders.

If you do not wish your car to go that low, we can always assemble your brackets differently to adjust how low and high your car will go.

If you have any questions please feel free to give us a call at 877-399-9987
Do have strut bags for the front? how much for a 4 way air suspension kit with strut bags for the front (if you make strut bags for the front)?
Old 08-14-2004, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member

You can run strut bags in the front however i would recommend against it. With strut bags in the front the xB's the lip of the fender sits aprox. 2" away from the top of the tires on a 17/18" wheel. That is after modifying the strut and dropping the bag as low as possible.

Ive only seen one xB that sits low on bag struts and thats the green one that was at Resolutions last year and also was in Mini Truckin. With his setup he cut and raised his strut towers to allow it to drop down low.

If you run our X-Air setup it will lay your tires flat inside the wheel wells without cutting anything.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member

Default warn against the above shop

my buddy got his scion xb done with the x-air system that the above shop installed for him. recently he had to put it into the shop at the dealership due to the brake lines not being tied out of the way of moving mechanical parts after the air install. apparantly the front left abs/traction control sensor got shredded by the axle as well as the brake line strut mount shredding the cv boot. on the right side the brake line was also pinched causing the brakes to slowly go out (while driving!) i guess this is costing him about $1500 to have the dealership fix and of course its not under warranty due to the cause of the problem being the air suspension mods. the shop offered no help of any kind. think twice before you modify your car like this.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: warn against the above shop

Originally Posted by xbfromhell
my buddy got his scion xb done with the x-air system that the above shop installed for him. recently he had to put it into the shop at the dealership due to the brake lines not being tied out of the way of moving mechanical parts after the air install. apparantly the front left abs/traction control sensor got shredded by the axle as well as the brake line strut mount shredding the cv boot. on the right side the brake line was also pinched causing the brakes to slowly go out (while driving!) i guess this is costing him about $1500 to have the dealership fix and of course its not under warranty due to the cause of the problem being the air suspension mods. the shop offered no help of any kind. think twice before you modify your car like this.
I WOULD SUGGEST RETURNING THE VEHICLE TO THE SHOP THAT DID YOUR INSTALL OR TAKING THE CAR TO A DIFFERENT SHOP FOR A SECOND OPTION.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member

Default reply

i dont know the exact details of whats going on with his xb but he said the shop that did the install offered no help of any kind, saying that they always just leave all the lines hanging there and that it never causes a problem or gets caught on anything.
Old 08-17-2004, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member

Typically you will secure the brake line and abs sensor onto the body of the car. typically you can attach the lines onto the hole that is above the drive line, a simple ziptie wrapped around the hole will secure the lines.
Old 08-17-2004, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member

Default nice!

damn! that seems so simple! why couldnt the shop just do that in the first place? it could have saved him $1500 and an ulcer! seems like the shop shouldve done something like that to keep the lines out of the way but they didnt, and now hes the 1 stuck with the 1500 charge!
Old 08-26-2004, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by ExcentrixAuto
You can run strut bags in the front however i would recommend against it. With strut bags in the front the xB's the lip of the fender sits aprox. 2" away from the top of the tires on a 17/18" wheel. That is after modifying the strut and dropping the bag as low as possible.

Ive only seen one xB that sits low on bag struts and thats the green one that was at Resolutions last year and also was in Mini Truckin. With his setup he cut and raised his strut towers to allow it to drop down low.

If you run our X-Air setup it will lay your tires flat inside the wheel wells without cutting anything.
the X-Air setup? Is it cylinders in the front or airbags? too many horror stories about cylinders. Plus, I am a VIP Tuner. I will run at least a +26 or lower for my offsets for my rims (18x8J).
Old 08-26-2004, 02:30 PM
5 Year Member

Yes there is alot of issues with running a cylinder setup in a McPhearson setup when you are running the standard threaded cylinders.

The main issue is when you rotate your steering the internal shaft of the cylinder is twisted causing extra stress on the shaft and severe wear on the internal seals.

With the X-Air system the bottom bracket has the 3 bearings inside allowing the bracket to rotate on the shaft eliminating all prior issues.

Another issue with the standard cylinders is that with the McPhearson suspension the cylinder absorbs the constant "side load" when the car hits a bump/pot hole and if the cylinder shaft is small in diameter (most of my competition is 3/4" or smaller) the shaft can bend/break. With our cylinders we are running a 1 1/4" thick shaft with no threads made from solid harden steel.

As far as with your tuner market I highly recommend our cylinder setup due to the infinitely adjustable dampening (depending on how you install the kit) and force articulation of your vehicle during corning. When you drop the inside of the vehicle while you enter the turn and raise it as your leave the turn the possibilities are limitless.

Also I have a customer that is working on a completely “Active” suspension to level the vehicle while turning, braking, and acceleration. As far as a release date its undetermined.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Information