Notices
xB Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xB

A/C Control Color Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Allright, here is how you can modify (trim) LEDs.

Take a new LED and chuck it in your drill with the leads and the bottom flange sticking out of the chuck. Dont tighten it too hard or you'll crack the LED. Then use a coarse file and just turn down the flange.

Then flip the LED around in the drill chuck. Now you can turn down the front of it. Again, using a file turn down the LED. I use various conical shapes to get more diffused light out of it. Also leave the turned down part rough (don't polish it out). That difuses the light better than a polished surface.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by D_M_A_N
Hmmmm.... Cathodes... I wonder If you could get them to fit behind the a/c controlls. Maybe the 4 inch cathode. Or cut the plastic off of it and then run it back there. Will it work?
LED's are not the way to go... you can fit 2 4" Cathodes in behind the A/C controls once you take the clear diffuser out. LED's will always be brighter in the center and dim at the edges no matter how much you modify them. The Cathodes are even and bright all the way across and can still be dimmed.

Here's a pick of mine using 2 4" Cathodes purchased from Oznium.com

Old 08-16-2006, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweeeet! I thought that might be possible, Nice job!
Did you do the LED's in your HU yourself?
Also whats inside your AC Vents LED's or Cathode?
Old 08-16-2006, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks.

Yes, I did the HU myself... not to "toot my own horn" but I was the first one to do the LED swap on the head unit... I just dragged "butt" on getting a DIY out there... I'm not very good at write-ups.

The vents are all LED's also purchased from Oznium.com.

Here's a link to my gallery at se-detroit.com, please feel free to check out some of the many LED mods I've done to my xA and shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

http://se-detroit.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=10
Old 08-16-2006, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Unique Scionikz
SL Member

Originally Posted by Blue_Estel
Thanks.

Yes, I did the HU myself... not to "toot my own horn" but I was the first one to do the LED swap on the head unit... I just dragged "butt" on getting a DIY out there... I'm not very good at write-ups.

The vents are all LED's also purchased from Oznium.com.

Here's a link to my gallery at se-detroit.com, please feel free to check out some of the many LED mods I've done to my xA and shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

http://se-detroit.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=10
Wow, there's a DIY on the HU too? I can't seem to find it.

How difficult was it to find a location to mount the cathodes in the A/C Controls? Can you turn it on/off? Also, how did you get the LEDs in the AC Vent?
Old 08-16-2006, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, you aren't looking hard enough
Here is how you use the "look around the website" feature. haha

go to "features" at the very top of this page
go to "tech"
filter to the xB
go to "radio color change"

the pics aren't working for some reason. I'll PM the guy who wrote it.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey Blue_Estel, would you mind posting a pic of how you mounted the tubes into the dash, behind the AC controls? Thanks, great idea.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice mod Blue_Estel!

I'm doing my HU now. That thing has a crapload if 0603 LEDs in it! What a pain. My plan is to wire in RGB LED under the "color" button, so that it changes color with the display. This is the new iPod unit.

Also, my LED A/C mod illuminates pretty evenly. Looks good to me. I also put white LEDs in the clock/odometer display (xB).

I'll post a picture once everything is finished.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:54 AM
5 Year Member

this is awesome how to do you guys get to the inside of the headunit to where the LED;s are?
Old 08-17-2006, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

EVERYONE READ FOR EASIEST METHOD WITH GOOD RESULTS

go to ur local pep boys and pick up a 3 pack of "PIOLET LED Anywhere" LEDs for about 5 bucks. i suggest u get a few packs n some nice switches cuz these things r addictive and way too easy. they come with snap in holders and are ALREADY WIRIED W/ RESISTORS. now as stated awhile back u can tap into the brite white wiring harness for ur power n ground connections. green wire=power and white w/ blk stripe=negative. these particular LED's snap-in holders are a 100% PERFECT FIT in the hole where the lamp plugs in. so pop in ur holders insert the LEDs and run the wires into the harness. i that easy. i suggest u sand the tips of the LEDS with sand paper for an even glow, this was also stated on page 5 i think. you may want to run some other LEDS while ur in there too. i did the controls, the oven, and my AC vents. looks sick and only took bout 45 min to do everything.

Or u could wait 2 weeks n order leds form japan, or bust plastic wedge tips off, or attempt to fight with miniscule resistors to save $1.50...i thats ur thing...
Old 08-18-2006, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hcsif
this is awesome how to do you guys get to the inside of the headunit to where the LED;s are?
Pull the radio out. There are 2 screws on the sides of the faceplate - remove them. Then release all the faceplate tabs (all around). Faceplate pulls right off the radio. Then you need to unscrew 8 screws with white arrows pointing to them. Don't mix them up as some are different. Those 8 hold the green circuit board. Pull up the circuit board. All the LEDs are solderd to the circuit board.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:20 PM
5 Year Member

i found these condom caps for mine on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=48696
Old 08-26-2006, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's my dashboard mod. I used white LEDS for backlighting everything, with some color sprinkled on the radio faceplate. I also used an RGB LED under the radio's "COLOR" button and I wired it into the display backlight circuit. So the "COLOR" button's backlight changes color with the display. I also left the warning lights in the original colors, so they stand out better from the backlighting when they illuminate.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Too sweet (almost) for words.

I'd love the details on how you did the A/C fresh air/recycle lever. That one's been bugging me. Given my experience and skills (i.e., lack of), I'd love to see how it's done by someone who actually knows what they're doing.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks!
As far as that silly lever goes, it was bugging me too. Originally I thought I could just cut a slit in it and put in a piece of clear acrylic in it as a light "pipe". I was planning on just pointing it down towards the fully illiminated center cavity. But there is a big dvider between where the lever is and the bottom illuminated cavity. So, that wasn't going to fly.

But I still drilled through the lever and using a very small jigsaw I cut the slit. On the inside I drilled a hole into the slit to accomodate a white T1 size LED. I then put in a piece of 1/16" thick acrylic inn as a light "pipe" then at the visible (outside) end I glued in a strip of .0.20" white styrene (to diffuse the light). Since the lever handle is hollow I had to glue pieces of black styrene on the bottom to prevent light from scattering down.

I then uses a dollhouse zip-cord (very fine 2-conductor flexible wire) to hook it up. I drilled through the lever's pivot point and threaded the wire through the hole. Then I ran it to the blower switch assy. That is where my other white LEDs are installed. I did put a in-line connector in case I have to take the dash apart again.

This mod was a bit of a pain but I think it was worth it.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow. Thanks for all the details - I was afraid you were going to say something like that... guess I'd better just swallow hard, get my materials together, and get to it.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I used bulv condoms to make my climate controls blue, but after seeing some of the above pics I may just have to go and spend a little more time!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks good man good post i think bright led would be cool but more money and work..
Old 09-11-2006, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like GREAT JOB
Old 09-13-2006, 04:12 AM
5 Year Member

Default replacement bulbs

Check out this site: http://autolumination.com/74.htm. Scroll about half way down. These bulbs seem to be a direct replacment for the ones installed at the factory. I ordered some the other day and I am just waiting for them to get here. Should only be a day or two. I will post again with my results and hopefully a pic or two.

Quick Reply: A/C Control Color Change