Notices
xB Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xB

A/C Control Color Change

Old 01-16-2007, 08:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Yyou will need two of the neo wedge bulbs. These are totally different bulbs than the "easy bake oven" uses. The easy bake uses 194/168 wedge base bulbs like the one in this link.

http://autolumination.com/194.htm
Old 01-19-2007, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member

okay so i bought the neowedge led and the light bulb version and guess what the neowedge looked just like my led saoldered version but the lightbulb version looked just like the orig amber but GREEN haha i showed my freind and she said "wait what are you showing me?" he couldnt tell that there was dif it looked as it came with the green car so evry1 just skip the leds and buy the lightbulb serios it looks waaaaay better plus they are only 1.49 a piece!! http://autolumination.com/74.htm

i also bought new license plate lights i bought the 5 led wedge matrix 194 bulb and wow stunnin its WHITE with a hint of blue absolutly amazing even the parents were saying WOW
http://autolumination.com/194.htm
P.S a hint with the license bulbs is if they shine thru the top put a piece of tape on top of the light bulb housing.
Any qs just ask
~yigs
Old 01-19-2007, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

yeah but the LEDs wont burn out as fast. Longer life on the LEDs
Old 01-19-2007, 03:21 AM
5 Year Member

huh? okay the oem are light bulbs so replacing with lightbulbs = same lifetime as stock lights i would think but anyways they work wonderful for now so im keeping them
~yigs
Old 01-19-2007, 09:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so to recap, i can just get those neo wedge things from autolumination and its a direct replacement? just take out the entire oem base and bulb, and stick the neo wedges in??
Old 01-19-2007, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member

yup basically thats all you have two choices led (bright in the center dim on outer edges of console) or incandecent bulb (a little dimmer than led but looks stock but dif color)
Old 01-20-2007, 10:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

this is similar to my write up, but i have LEDs...
Old 01-27-2007, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i just put in the led neo wedge and i looks just like my soldered version just like yigs said. hopefully it will look better at night but i dont think it will. are these the ones you used yigs?

they are about half way down and 1.49 a piece?

anyways, thanks for all the help!
Old 01-27-2007, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

There is no way you can get those neo-wedge bulbs like @ a automotive store say like pep-boys/autozone etc.. ? or just online?
Old 02-10-2007, 03:44 AM
5 Year Member

yea emfomas those are exactly the ones i used (i personally used the green ones and they look real good) i will also probably be ordering the blue ones soon for my gf
Old 02-10-2007, 03:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey thanks for the response yigs, i have an orange color scheme going on in my interior, any ideas for colors for the hvac? any help would be appreciated!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by emfomas
yeah i just put in the led neo wedge and i looks just like my soldered version just like yigs said. hopefully it will look better at night but i dont think it will. are these the ones you used yigs?

they are about half way down and 1.49 a piece?

anyways, thanks for all the help!
I bought the blue ones to replace my LED solder job and the color came out looking like a light green or teal so I'm not too happy with the color. I'm going to have to go back to the website and maybe buy a different set now and try those out

edit: I bought a couple of the blue LED ones this time, we'll see how the color turns out on those.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

so how did the led version of this bulb turn out....the $2.99 one? Anyone have pics? No resister soldering is required correct?
Old 02-15-2007, 02:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had the same problem as my soldered in leds with faded out edges but i think other people have had a bit more luck. i sanded down the leds so the edges look a little better. im going to try the bulbs maybe, or even the white leds.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm gonna bite the bullet (extra $4) and buy both sets and post pics of the different sets (LEDS and Bulbs). I've been watching this thread for a while let me at least contribute.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Alchemist80
so how did the led version of this bulb turn out....the $2.99 one? Anyone have pics? No resister soldering is required correct?
Okay I put the blue LED ones in today and waited until tonight and I must say they look fantastic, much much better than the regular ones and much better than my LED solder job I did before. So yeah, get the $2.99 LEDs instead of the cheaper bulbs.

I also put a pair of those white 5 LED wedge matrix in for my rear plates and those also look very good, much better than my old stock bulbs so I would recommend getting a set of those as well.
Old 02-20-2007, 11:38 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok here is the differences between the bulbs and the leds in an 06 XA:

Do not take the cream this off TRUST ME I'll tell you in a bit why.....

These are the bulbs:

These are the LEDS

Huge difference but still the edges are dim.... anyways back to major mess up!!!

I pulled out the cream part and either I lost something or messed something up but my AC doesn;t work right. There is no contact with the copper and the middle 3 spoke thing in the pictures...I put a washer there and it makes contact but it's not right...any help in this situation would be appreceated.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey buddy! Ok, I started to think of how to do this myself, and took the two outer ***** off, but couldn't get the middle **** off...it seriously wouldn't budge. Do I have to take the middle **** off, or is it ok where it is??? Thanks for your help.....oh, and I'm doing green too most likely!! It will match the theme that I am starting!

~Stephanie
Old 02-22-2007, 10:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Rey I bet you made the mistake of losing the little ball baring that is behind that center ****, well not behind the **** itself but when you detached the white part from the assembly you probably dropped the baring somewhere.

If it's not the baring look for a little tab that sticks out from the assembly. That has to go back in one of those little holes on the center **** assembly so that when you put it all back together when you turn the **** it will "click" to each setting.

I don't know, kind of hard to explain when you don't know the exact terms.

The good news for other people is that you don't have to detach the white part from the assembly and risk losing the ball baring just to replace your bulbs.

And the middle **** does come off just as easy as the other two, just make sure you pull straight out, jiggle it a little if you have to. Make sure to remove the two screws in front that were behind the outer *****.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From what i've read I lost a spring that goes between the silver 3 spoke mtal thing and the plastic thing wher ethe **** goes...The ball is where it is suppose to be I dropped it once but I found it..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C Control Color Change