A/C Control Color Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Originally Posted by jack_d12
tried to do this took out the bulbs colored those and it doesn't work (colored using sharpie and ink just rubs off) colored the the yellow condom w/ the sharping and it doesn't work .... i can't take off the white part that consists of the bulbs i just screwed out the bulbs ... anyone can help me ? i took off the condoms anywayz so it looks a bit brighter but still amber.

had problems taking out the three connectors tho and prying the center console out on the bottom nearly took my nails off with it
ok take off the center piece and then sharpie the backs of the dial faces. know what i'm talkin bout? yeah that worked for me. with the addidiot of the clear plastic light"tubes"
Old 10-30-2004, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the problem is i can't take off the center piece( the one covering the light tubes) !!! feels like i'm going to break the whole thing !!!
Old 10-30-2004, 08:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

you just gotta unscrew the two screws holdin it in then just pop it out. then pull the light tube out
Old 11-11-2004, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very nice.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Default I Have Found A Much Better Way of Doing The A/C Color Change

I bought blue T1.5 Instrument LED bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com just to see if I could rig something up. I took out the A/C bulbs (the ones with the white base), unbent the wires so that I could remove the bulb from their housing, then I did the same with the LED instrument bulbs by pulling the LED from their housing, unbent the wires and removed the bulbs. I then put the LED bulbs in the original white housings. The LEDs will not work unless they are placed in the correct position (one wire is positive, one is negative, they won't work when put back into the dash in the reverse). They look really good; very bright, much better than the rubber condom thing (I had the condoms on before I did this bulb changeout). I've heard of people taking out the bulbs and running LEDs off of their interior light kit, but I figure since there is a spot for bulbs to go and it already has power going to it, I didn't have to run any new wires and mount lights that weren't already there. I wish all of the lights in our cars were this easy to switch out.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

this is helpful- thanks...
any one know how to change the color of the dashboard lights (speedometer, gas gauge, etc.)? I searched but couldn't find anything (doesn't mean it's not out there, *I* just couldn't find it).
Old 11-23-2004, 08:57 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by PMDJoe
this is helpful- thanks...
any one know how to change the color of the dashboard lights (speedometer, gas gauge, etc.)? I searched but couldn't find anything (doesn't mean it's not out there, *I* just couldn't find it).
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28496
Old 11-23-2004, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

There are two ways of changing the speedometer color, the cheesy way using marker (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20758) and the best (but most dangerous) way which involves switching out the LEDs (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28496). I haven't done either, but I hear that the marker fades quickly. I plan on doing the LED change as soon as I get the *****.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey pdrizzle,

How many bulbs are there to replace for the ac ***** and instument panel?
Was it a perfect fit for the bulbs in these areas or did you do something extra to hold it in place?
I am assuming all these instructions would be relatively the same for the xA. Would this be a correct assumption?
Old 11-27-2004, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

There are two bulbs behind the A/C *****. In my method, you will be using the bulb housing that came with the car, so there isn't anything extra needed to hold it in place. The bulbs are very close to the original bulbs' size, but the LED bulb had some extra plastic molding that I had to break off (it was like a 1mm piece that I snipped off with a needle nose, nothing major). I'm pretty sure the xA is the same, but I can't confirm that.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:13 PM
5 Year Member

is there an easy way of changin the clock's light color?
Old 12-01-2004, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: I Have Found A Much Better Way of Doing The A/C Color Ch

Originally Posted by pdrizzle
I bought blue T1.5 Instrument LED bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com just to see if I could rig something up. I took out the A/C bulbs (the ones with the white base), unbent the wires so that I could remove the bulb from their housing, then I did the same with the LED instrument bulbs by pulling the LED from their housing, unbent the wires and removed the bulbs. I then put the LED bulbs in the original white housings. The LEDs will not work unless they are placed in the correct position (one wire is positive, one is negative, they won't work when put back into the dash in the reverse). They look really good; very bright, much better than the rubber condom thing (I had the condoms on before I did this bulb changeout). I've heard of people taking out the bulbs and running LEDs off of their interior light kit, but I figure since there is a spot for bulbs to go and it already has power going to it, I didn't have to run any new wires and mount lights that weren't already there. I wish all of the lights in our cars were this easy to switch out.
i found the page listing the T1.5 Instrument LED bulbs sizes and part numberr but when i went looking for it on the LED products i couldnt find it? what ws the bulb name that you used?
Old 12-09-2004, 06:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

I just went to my local auto zone and couldn't find the rubber bulb caps. Would there be another place that I can purschase these rubber caps

Thanks
Old 12-09-2004, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I used the rubber covers at first and they were too dim for me. The LED bulbs cost just as much for just as much labor and a better result.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Thanks

What size and where can i purchase these led bulbs

Thanks
Old 12-10-2004, 02:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

number 74 can work if u extent the wires.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Count 11 posts up from this and start reading. PM me if you have any further questions.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yeah but a number 74 will also work. thats all i was sayin the bulb u are referring to is less common to get ahold of.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CamoGreen
is there an easy way of changin the clock's light color?
Assuming that you don't want white color, you can change the color of the clock by using colored clear plastic dividers and then cutting them to size. You can slip them right behind the LCD display so that the combination of the amber LED's and the color of the divider you choose will create the color you want. However, I'm biased to changing the LED's because like pdrizzle said, it looks better and you don't have that dim bulb cover effect.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

After a few months I'm filled with dissapointment. The red has completly faded on the speedo, as well as the ac *****. I colored the yellow plastic covers in that white peice, on the speedo housing. I did not directly sharpie the bulbs. This method is a quick, yet short fix.......In the end 'm highly unsatisfied, and have no motivation to take apart those damn needles ever again.

I think I'll just buy a replacement....to bad I cant find the flame cover, like they make for the Chevy trucks.

Quick Reply: A/C Control Color Change