Notices
xB2 Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xB2

Mobile HID INSTALLED! (w/ pics)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:28 AM

Default do it.

I have the 6k kit and used industrial velcro to install the ballasts (in case I ever need to remove them for some reason).

The kit is AWESOME! They do a bright flash when you first turn them on...does anyone else get that? then they go dimmer while they warm up (takes about 10-20 seconds). I LOVE these lights!!! Thanks Cliff!
Old 10-31-2007, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sorry to ask but what size bulb is the xb2?
h11?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:43 AM
SL Member

im pretty sure its h11
Old 10-31-2007, 07:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

m3rs- yep, H11 bulb.

toyota is moving more towards using projectors - first they introduced them in the new camrys and 4runners, then lexus is250/350 vehicles and now the xB2 and new 08 tCs. - they all use h11 and these projectors have GREAT cutoff and the resulting beam pattern post HID conversion is very nice.

lol, i'm just a bucket full of lighting info.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The cutoff isnt bad. Better than any aftermarket projectors off of ebay... But there is still this tab at the top of the cutoff plate on the xB projectors that causes that tad bit of glare above the line. Its definitely not enough to blind people though so people shouldnt be worrying about that. I personally like the look of perfect cutoffs so I may modify the plate later on to make it perfect :D
Old 10-31-2007, 08:05 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Does anyone have a front view pic comparing a 4300k vs 5000k bulb in an xb2? Want to get an hid kit but still on the fence as to what kelvin I should get. I want the look of a stock Lexus/Acura hid color or something similar.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Guys, I just installed the Mobile HID kit with 4300K bulbs. Let me assure you, they do not look yellow at all. They even have that hint of blue, very OEMish. I personally would not want it any more blue. Heck, at first I thought I might have gotten the wrong bulbs because I was expecting a yellowish white.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And at 4300K you have all the lumens you paid for. Think of that, getting light out of them, not a tint of color, wow! :-P
Old 11-02-2007, 05:18 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Maytag
Guys, I just installed the Mobile HID kit with 4300K bulbs. Let me assure you, they do not look yellow at all. They even have that hint of blue, very OEMish. I personally would not want it any more blue. Heck, at first I thought I might have gotten the wrong bulbs because I was expecting a yellowish white.
Can you post pics please!
Old 11-02-2007, 07:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AAG
Originally Posted by Maytag
Can you post pics please!
Follow this link, he has links to others who have reviews and pics.
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=152060

From his site: Pics
http://www.mobilehid.com/2008-xB.htm
Old 11-10-2007, 03:31 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

[quote="biggiej"]heres the pics of the old headlights:

Mobile HID without flash

I just installed my 5000k and I have that same "yellow" spots when the HIDS are on. Why does it do that? First time I've seen it with a hid kit.

At first I thought it was the turn signal lights so I swapped them with clear ones. Well it was still there. I then tried it with the turn signal lights unplugged and it still there. Kinda annoying.....
Old 11-15-2007, 04:51 AM
SL Member

Woot-Woot!!! I just ordered mine... I am counting the days be4 i can see better in the dark. I go to work between 4 & 5 AM each morning and drive 90-120 miles one way. I can use all the brightness the 4300K will bring to keep me awake!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well u wont wait long, i ordered mine before i am home, they were there in a few days two if i remember correcrtly, now im just waiting to get home to put them in!!! cant wait!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 05:01 AM
SL Member

bugtoxb, sounds like u are gettin it all together at a young age...good job. At 21 I was too busy snowboarding 100 days a season to have a 'new' car...
Old 11-15-2007, 02:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, i am from ny, my dad owned two yamaha shops and a farm supply shop we are down to just the one shop now. We gave up yamaha cuase the intrest on the machines was just too crazy. we are from upstate and the market in ny sucks!!!!!! so when that happened I started to look for a diff job, This one came available owner is a family friend so that always helps! I had a 98 new beetle and loved that car but this job requires some decent sized equipment so I said u Know toyota is a hell of a brand and the new xb is alot nicer so i did it, i leased it im paying 198 a month. Only thing about this job that i dont like so much is being away from family for so long. but o well pays good! Any way thank you for the compliment! Perks of the job is that i only work 7 months a year lol and get unemployment the other 5. so life isnt too bad in that respect. Plus i get paid to see the US. My dad pretty much instilled in me u have to work to get anywhere so when i wasnt in school i was working for him selling atv's, motorycles, off road bikes, and snowmobiles. All statred at age 13. Lol so yeah always had my eye on bigger things! Sorry for the rambling!
Old 11-15-2007, 03:21 PM

hahahaah the same place that I install mine ;)
Old 11-15-2007, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

installed my 5000k yesterday. Install was a snap. 10 minutes max. I do want a real sano ballast mount solution so I'm gonna try and get some brackets at Home Depot. For now its zip tied to the subframe.

The difference from the halogens is NIGHT and DAY. love the output. dont know how much better it would be if I had HID-ready projector lenses. Best 140 i ever spent. Love it. thanks Mobile HID

the pics are wack, its from my cellphone, its not meant to be a accurate representation of the light output of course but i love the beam effect in the shot
Old 11-17-2007, 03:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice.

now the second test begins. Longevity.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

4300K MobileHID.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by uberspeed
Originally Posted by snowromance
Originally Posted by biggiej

my review from driving around tonight:

the HIDs are very bright. you turn the car on and it takes a couple of seconds to warm up then its like daylight. having the projector headlights, the light pattern has a very clean cut-off point...
so is this clean cut-off above or below all that glare? lol. sorry man, not trying to ruin your fun but that has got to be one of the worst cutoffs. the whole point of using projectors in headlights is that no light shines above the "cut off". you have 2 GIANT glares above each projectors supposed cutoff.

you wanna throw an hid kit in, thats fine. llooks ok. but dont act like it functions the way its supposed to.

there is a difference between projectors made for halogen and projectors made for hid. you have an hid bulb behind halogen projectors and thats why you are getting the poor results and very bad cut-off that will be having oncoming traffic saying wtf when they have to cross paths with you.

:-(

dont let it get you down, and if you muster up the courage...retro the projectors to get the results that make true HID systems beneficial. best of luck. take it easy
cutoff, proper

Yes I personally prefer the ECE cutoff but the US DOT regulations require a percentage of the light to be directed above the cutoff to light up overhead signs, etc., which is the reason the Scion projectors allow this "glare". The photo shown seems to exaggerate the glare above the cutoff because most digital cameras, except some Fujifilm models, cannot show the full dynamic range of light intensity. My own measurements show the intensity above the cutoff on my xB, to be withing regulation. Personally my next project is to disassemble the projectors and modify the cutoff shield to eliminate (or minimize) any above the cutoff glare and also angle light upwards to the right at a 25 degree angle.
In fact I wish the US DOT would accept ECE headlights as Canada's DOT has.

Quick Reply: Mobile HID INSTALLED! (w/ pics)