Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

xB Cargo Space

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default xB Cargo Space

I've got a 1st generation xB (2006) which is a wonderful vehicle until I need to travel. Having come from a recent trip to the in-laws for Christmas (9 hours each way), I'm a bit down on the car at the moment. The occupant space inside the cabin is great, but the cargo space leaves a lot to be desired. My largest beef is the cago space. With three people in the car, I'm forced to use a roof rack and a cargo pod. I know, it's a small car and I do like the fuel mileage. But I'm curious, does the second generation xB have any more cargo space than the 1st generation or is the space behind the rear seat similar in both cars?
Old 01-04-2010, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cargo volume behind the rear seats is about the same:
1st-Gen xB = 21.2 cubic feet
2nd-Gen xB = 21.7 cubic feet

The big difference in cargo volume is with the rear seats folded down:
1st-Gen xB = 43.4 cubic feet
2nd-Gen xB = 69.9 cubic feet

On a side note, the 2nd-Gen has over 10% more passenger volume with the rear seats up:
1st-Gen xB = 90.2 cubic feet
2nd-Gen xB = 101 cubic feet

I hope that helps.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Different cars with different strengths, but both good ! If you really want simultaneous max occupant and cargo space, there are other vehicles out there, though I think these trade those off reasonably well .

PS. One can also consider roof rack and hitch rack possibilities.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
Cargo volume behind the rear seats is about the same:
1st-Gen xB = 21.2 cubic feet
2nd-Gen xB = 21.7 cubic feet
Some of that is because the 1st gen is taller inside. The 2nd gen has more depth behind the rear seats so you have more usable storage area. Is it a ton more? No, but it is more than the .5 cu. ft. from the specs makes it seem.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greg S
Some of that is because the 1st gen is taller inside. The 2nd gen has more depth behind the rear seats so you have more usable storage area. Is it a ton more? No, but it is more than the .5 cu. ft. from the specs makes it seem.
I know there are some serious preferences b/w 1st-gen & 2nd-gen owners, and I didn't want to start another argument thread, so I just presented the simple numbers. Personally, I'd rather have slightly more width & depth in the back (xb2), than height (xB1), but that's just me. To each his own, but I also love the much greater cargo space when the rear seats are down, as well as the additional leg space for rear seat passengers when the rear seats are up & functional. Just my .02, so to the 1st-gen xB owners, please don't hate on me.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No arguement from me. I like my 2nd gen.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Space int he Tardis

When I moved to my new house last spring I was using alot of 8.5x11 inch copy paper boxes. I could fit over 28 of them in the xB with the seats down, and the front seats pulled forward (using the passenger seat also). I don't think my mom's 1st gen could hold more than 18...
Old 01-04-2010, 05:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks for the input.

Actually, I try to keep luggage, etc. no higher that the top of the rear seats. One of the nice features of the xB is visibility, so I'd rather not compromise it. The additional height of the first generation car really doesn't help me very much, but the additional width of the 2nd generation might. I'll have to go look at the new model and crawl around inside one. But then I'll probably end up buying a new car and then I'll really have some 'splaining to do.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:50 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Can someone measure footprint space for the 2gen? I can do teh same in the 1gen, I think that more than anything tells useable cargo space. Most people don't stack stuff so high that it can hit the rear glass to begin with.

Take two measurements, one with the rear seats folded down, to the back of the front seat with the front all the way back, and another with the rear seats up.

For passenger space, I don't see how you could possibly need more than what the 1gen already has unless there's three people in the back, it is narrower than the 2gen.

If you needed to seat more than 5, I would have suggested the Ford Freestyle, but sadly it's no longer in production. Normally I'm not a fan of Ford but the Freestyle was basically a Volvo XC90 without the luxury bits.

Edit: On my xB cargo spaceis never an issue, though passenger space leaves something to be desired.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142245

Last edited by vettereddie; 01-04-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I found the following info for the Gen2 xB on www.cargodogs.com. Here is the actual site address: http://www.cargodogs.com/2008/12/scion-xb.htm

They have some diagrams as well which relate to the designations in the parenthesis below. They don't have the Gen1 (but they do have the xD).

Depth from back door to front seats (2nd/3rd row folded) = maximum depth range (D1): 55-64.5"

Depth from back door to second row seats (D2): 22"

Depth from back door to third row seats (D3) n/a Height from cargo floor to ceiling behind front seats (H1): 32"

Height from cargo floor to ceiling behind 2nd row seats (H2): 34.5"

Height from cargo floor to ceiling at entry of vehicle (H3): 32.75"

Height of wheel arches (H4): 8"

Height from ground to top of bumper (not pictured): 27"

Width of cargo area at ceiling (W1): 43"

Width of cargo area maximum (approx. at 2nd row seats (W2): 52"

Width of cargo area between wheel arches (cargo "table" holders encroach into space): 38.75"
Old 09-30-2019, 04:02 PM
SL Member

I know this is an old thread, but my husband's looking into a 2nd gen xB, and I own a 1st gen. Do you know the basic height difference with the seats folded down vs. them folded up? We don't pack the rear full, but we mountain bike and the interior of the 1st gen has the perfect amount of space to store a mt bike. I'm just worried that the 2nd gen wouldn't be tall enough to fit the bike...
Old 09-30-2019, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to be overlooked, the rear hatch on Gen 2 raises higher than Gen 1 hatch; my head wounds had now all healed since I got my 2015 xB.

Mrcee
Old 10-06-2019, 08:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We have put 2 bikes into the 2nd gen by laying them down on their sides with the back seats down. The trick is to turn the front wheel down into the remaining space between the seats then try to get the 2nd one in without the pedals catching in the spokes. Just adds to the fun doing a bit of weight lifting before a ride.