Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

My Header Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default My Header Nightmare

ok this is a long story so Ill just start. Pics to follow if desired.

So I read over post after post on what to get. I eventually cheaped out and just went with an eBay header because of the price and figured why not try it out. Bad idea. First off the company on eBay I bought from was terrible to say the least. Their ad showed it came with all necessary hardware and gaskets ...which it did not. All I received was the manifold. Long story short...they said they'd replace, ended telling me manufacturer doesnt provide but they will find me some, then told me they wont, then told me to ship back myself on my own dime, and then I was effed by Paypal who decided in their favor leaving me stuck with the header and no parts. not a major deal. quick trip to the auto parts store and I had gaskets and hardware needed(for those wondering the eBay seller was EPARTSGOGO...do not but from them...buyer beware...worst product ever and worst customer service ever). I bolted everything up....front pipe and manifold didn't meet up great but seemed to get it to fit eventually. dipstick had to be moved slightly which was fine and expected..no biggie. BUT, heres where the issues come in. First drive....exhaust leak at the manifold to front pipe joint. after a quick drive I noticed a ting ting tinging in the scuba. I drove to my muffler shop. He at first thought the scuba was bad and cut it out to replace with a Magnaflow. after cutting it out he looked inside and poured out a small piece of metal (which I later found out broke off the interior of the ebay header). He simply poured the piece out and welded the scuba back in place. I was then not happy with this header and decided to try the Tsudo header and s-pipe set up. Now on to the Tsudo issues...

Manifold is even closer to the dipstick so more adjustment was needed. again no biggie. However, the manifold does not fit well and hits the engine on the right side where the little number badge is (looks like tranny). under low acceleration it is vibrating against it hard enough to have left a mark on both the header pipe and the engine. I contacted TSUDO about this and what I thought to be a small leak at the manifold to s-pipe connector. All they told me was double up on gaskets. I did so and still same problem. I now went back to the stock setup only to find I slightly tweaked the stock S-Pipe (or front exhaust pipe) while installing the ebay header and now have an exhaust leak at that same joint on one side. Ugh.

So, I'm basically looking for any advice or people who have run into any similar issues with the Tsudo set up and to warn people about the epartsgogo eBay header. I also need a stock S-pipe ( or also called a front pipe) so if anyone has an extra lying around let me know. Thanks everyone!

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-11-2021 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 04-27-2016, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sucks you are running into problems. For what it's worth I went with the ebay header as well and couldn't be happier. I don't remember who the seller was, but mine came with the upper gasket, and I just re-used the stock lower. The fit wasn't great where it meets the stock S pipe, but I just oblonged the holes a little and cranked down on the bolts real good. I've been running it for a good two years now with no issues.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

how's the sound....everything I read about on the tsudo was saying little to no rasp. At idle and putting around it sounds clean and smooth. under any acceleration I hear a light hiss and lots of rasp under heavy acceleration. Both headers Ive tried had this sound. is this normal? is that a leak? its almost like a very subtle hiss and if you rolled your tongue while blowing air(lol)

trd intake ...trd axelback
Old 04-28-2016, 10:45 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

And this is why my exhaust system has remained stock after 8 1/2 years and 120k miles. No one imo ever made a quality header for our vehicle and I didnt want to deal with CELs due to the missing cat.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't recall any rasp or hissing sounds, but I'll get on it tonight to verify.
As far as the CEL's go, you just need the big daddies CEL eliminator. Other companies sell them too. It just gets the second o2 sensor out of the direct flow of exhaust to trick the computer. Mine has never thrown any codes.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:46 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So i went back to stock on the header. feels normal again. the head to the manifold was clearly leaking and not sealing properly no matter how tight I cranked down based off of the black marks spreading out of the bottom of each whole on the gasket once header was removed...mainly the center two. Went in the correct order as well tightening with numerous attempts. not sure what gives. back to stock parts and everything fit nicely and snug tight. no leaks. Super annoying. spent 130 on the ebay exhaust and 330 on the tsudo plus the extra 50 for the weapon-r cel eliminator. Im done with attempting headers at the moment. Moving on to crank pulley and exhaust instead. pm if anyone wants to buy either set up. maybe you can make them work. both are for sale.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I purchased the entire Tsudo header, S-cat, Scuba, and duals system when SEMortors.com was intro-DEALing it back in 11/2012. I did have to get the first header replaced due to weld residue in the #4 tube port which made sensor install impossible; but SEM did it immediately on their dime. I got excess gaskets.
Name:  Tsudo%20port%20inside%20weld_zpsd3jfz0le.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  130.1 KB

Yes, you do have to dremel a ~1/4" deep arc and bend the dipstick bracket to clear #1 tube. And the contact you/BluexB2 references on #3 is the heat shield above to clutch slave cylinder; again, dremel out its' corner to eliminate. And I applied/shaped several layers of aluminum tape to cover the hole.
Name:  Tsudo%20heatshield%20contact_zpsy9ix7lik.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  161.7 KB

But what you get is great low-high range long-tube power and performance sound (can't say none, but not much rasp).
Name:  ef8ca5aa-97e4-4a15-bab9-ade0bcd9b1d3_zpsrzo9fupx.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  306.8 KB

I share this because somebody has an opportunity for a deal here on BluexB2's parting.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GDubya
I purchased the entire Tsudo header, S-cat, Scuba, and duals system when SEMortors.com was intro-DEALing it back in 11/2012. I did have to get the first header replaced due to weld residue in the #4 tube port which made sensor install impossible; but SEM did it immediately on their dime. I got excess gaskets.

Yes, you do have to dremel a ~1/4" deep arc and bend the dipstick bracket to clear #1 tube. And the contact you/BluexB2 references on #3 is the heat shield above to clutch slave cylinder; again, dremel out its' corner to eliminate. And I applied/shaped several layers of aluminum tape to cover the hole.

But what you get is great low-high range long-tube power and performance sound (can't say none, but not much rasp).

I share this because somebody has an opportunity for a deal here on BluexB2's parting.
If you say so...It's all for sale. eBay header and tsudo plus s pipe header system(also have the weapon r cel eliminator I'll sell with either system). Pm if anyone is interested. I'm much happier back to stock header. However I did just order the NST pulley and borla axelback exhaust. The borla will be replacing my trd axelback. If I like the borla better, the trd axelback will also be for sale. I'll let you guys know on that once I get the borla in as soon as it arrives. I won't be able to keep my hands off of installing that thing right away so I should have a response for you guys next week. Thanks.