General driving and racing...

Street racing is not a sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

the act of street racing probably isnt really that much more dangerous to racing at a track. the BIG, HUGE, GIANT ect, difference is that at a track, A- its controlled, road surface, traffic, ppl, trees, ect. B- if something does happen there is medical staff with in feet of you.

unless your street racing in front of a hospital your an idiot to the 15971851 degree. it doesnt matter what car your driving, how old you are or how "empty" the street is. your an idiot. and frankly i dont show remorse for a driver in a street racing death, if they were that dumb its better for the human race they dont reproduce.

the problem with street racers themselves is that even though there are plenty of documented deaths, and tons of "i know this guy" stories they still do it because "it wont happen to me". and its the confidence/ignorance that is problem. ask anyone who has been directly effected by a street racing death and they will tell you how stupid it is to do for "the adrenaline rush"

anyone whos counter argument is "everyone does it" or "you cant tell me you dont drive fast, blah blah" your just admitting your guilt and trying to make yourself feel better about it.

the only ppl that would defend street racing do so because they are to stupid/narrow-minded/scared to admit that what they are doing is stupid and dangerous. and they want to be viewed as a "bad-___". get over yourself cause no one cares how fast your car goes.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xSTANDxSTRONGx
Street racing is stupid, so is drinking, so is smoking (anything but food), so are a lot of things, but they all happen EVERY SINGLE DAY IN EVERY** CITY IN THE US! That doesn't make it right.
Although you had something going there... you lost it when you introduced this statement.

street racing denotes two things:
"Racing" and "public roadways".

"drinking", in itself isn't stupid. "drinking and driving", is.
It's the context in which the activity occurs. Drinking in your home, isn't stupid. Drinking while hanging off the side of a helicopter, might be.
Likewise, racing isn't stupid. street racing is. It's where the racing occurs that makes it stupid.

about who has street raced... sure, I'm guessing a large population has been involved in a street race at some point. Does it make it "RIGHT" or "SMART"... that's the key thing. There's not a question whether it happens or not, it's a question whether you're smart enough to know better (i didn't when I street raced, as are 99% of street racers).

But, I grew up and got smarter... when will these "27 year old kids" do that?
Old 12-05-2007, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

this is for the street racers out there. do yourself and anyone you might pass on the road a favor
http://www.staginglight.com/links/trackfinder.html
http://www.scca.com/home.aspx
http://www.nasaproracing.com/

why your an idiot
http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...cal&id=5697821

tC, meet Maple tree
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...434&highlight=
Old 12-06-2007, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by blown_xa
I used to streetrace bigtime 7 years ago until I got carjacked at the streetraces and people were shooting others and stabbing and crap. The people associated with streetracing are scum IMO.
I like to see somebody who thinks they are fast on the street, slap them on a real ractrack and sit back and laugh.

Where the fudge do you live at.... Dang bro, time for you to move.

Hope the last part of that comment wasn't directed towards me? People I am familar with run on the street and the track, as well. Pretty fast if you ask me, 600whp 350z's and Cobra's. Trappin at like 130+mph in the 1/4 on Nitto tires.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by mtxblau
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
First of all, you can't lump everyone into the same category. Drivers all have different experiences, have been driving a lot longer, and have different knowledge and driving habits.
Exactly. This is why street racing is inherently stupid. You don't know what kind of experiences the other person has. For instance, I can assume that you're a terrible driver, since you've given me no reason to believe otherwise. And likewise - you don't know me, so what can you assume?

Your Germany example - they do a lot of classwork and fine people for not maintaining their cars so everyone has at least passable driving skills. What do they do in the U.S.? Drive around the block, parallel park - hey, you're a legal operator of a several ton vehicle!

The flip side to that though is, I'm a good driver. If you took a look at my driving record, it's completely clean.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by HondaCRX
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
You don't even know me dude. I'm a grown man not some teeny booper who only "Think" he knows how to drive.
But you are. What quantifiable evidence do you have to prove you know how to drive? cause you raced some kids in a straight line?
Age doesn't denote maturity... demeanor and actions do. You defending street-racing with your non-sensical arguments are proof you are no better than the F&F crowd.

EMT's can't help you if you die instantly bro...
Captain Obvious has joined the thread ladies and gentlemen.
And the fact that you are even arguing this point shows your mentality (and maturity level).

Just because you have a kid doesn't make you responsible (or an adult).

WTF are you talking about. There are speed limits on parts of the Autobahn, and then there some that are not governed. Last time I heard though, that is about to change. They might be putting a speed limit everywhere on it.
"heard", which denotes you have no ACTUAL experience, therefore you are accepting what others have told you. Hence, you have very little to support your claims.

and for the record, a good portion of the Autobahn is speed limited.

Last time I checked, people didn't only smoke in their homes. Second hand smoke never harmed anyone though right... Guess they were waisting their time by banning smoking in public places if second hand smoke was so harmless...
And those who risk my health with their own idiocy are spoken to about it.

And didn't I already tell you where I race is void of Stationary objects and traffic. Only 2 lanes of street with a very large medium and then 2 lanes going the opposite direction.
Last I checked, a medium is pretty stationary. Oh... if you drove there without having some kind of gate to block others from entering, you are still on a public road!

What's interesting is how you defend an activity usually reserved for high school students.

btw, in the 40s-50s, there weren't 300 million registered passenger vehicles... more people driving... hmmm... making the practice far more moronic.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VDW0ZnZxjn4
Old 12-06-2007, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by YourNameHere

Plan on doing those next season. I ended this season with the Drift Fury event.

A little practice first:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=T5QcuR8ByIw

Then the event:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JHicQ5e86Pw
Old 12-06-2007, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

it doesnt matter what car your driving, how old you are or how "empty" the street is. your an idiot.
exactally! case closed
Old 12-06-2007, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

What gets me is all the people bad mouthing anyone who acts in a "speed" contest, as if they themselves are saints. And then turn around and admit they have street raced....
Old 12-06-2007, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

the problem with street racers themselves is that even though there are plenty of documented deaths, and tons of "i know this guy" stories they still do it because "it wont happen to me". and its the confidence/ignorance that is problem. ask anyone who has been directly effected by a street racing death and they will tell you how stupid it is to do for "the adrenaline rush"

If they did allow that to affect them, then things like Motorcycles, cars in general, base jumping, skate boarding, roller blading, hunting, water sports, snow sports, and ANY thing else you can dream of along with just short of getting out of the bed in the morning.....people would cease to do. As they all are dangerous, and risk the acts of bodily injury and death.

We would not have Tony Hawk, Danica Patrick, Drift King, Reese Millen, Kyle Petty, Darl Waltrip, Valentino Rossi, and any other professional sports oriented person on the planet, because they would be scared from all the "I know this guy" stories, along with the documented deaths from their particular profession.

Thats like asking why do spectators stand only 2 inches away from the Rally course on a high speed corner, when there are 50 million videos of Rally drivers smashing into a crowd of spectators. Yet....each season they are lined up taking pictures and dangling inches away from Rally cars speeding through.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

right...your going to street race you tC and then Ferrari is going ot make you there next F1 driver...get over yourself....
Old 12-06-2007, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

not to mention everyone one of those pros you mentioned does there "sport" under controlled conditions with medical personal RIGHT THERE.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

i think what needs to be made 100% clear is that the reason street racing is stupid is WHEN something bad happens to the drivers, or a bystander, or some lady walking down the street, medical attention isnt standing right there, meaning someone could get seriously hurt or die. and all because some vin diesel wanna-be wanted to be cool and see how fast he could his car to go.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The whole argument is pointless. People will be stupid until they ruin their car, plunge themselves into financial and legal turmoil, and nearly destroy themselves.

I can testify; I was driving far too fast for my own good, went to pass my friend, passed him, but came into a corner far too fast to handle, it unbanked in the middle and had a rise in the road, it sent me off the road, and the car proceeded to roll, shearing a telephone pole and landing on a truck's hood. My insurance went up $1000 a year (I cost them +$30k), it's still pending whether I lose my license or not, I instantly totalled my pride and joy and lost $2000 in parts that insurance did not cover, I could have easily killed my friend who did not have a belt on, the list is quite lengthy.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

and now you have a new audi....
Old 12-06-2007, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is a pointless arguement based on the fact that street racing has been around for years and years. It will always be there because people want to show off, feel a rush of adrenaline or anything else associated with street racing.

Is it right, wrong, morally wrong, stupid or fun? Its all.

Everyone hears sad stories about someone getting hurt or dying, but that isn't going to change anything.

Starting a thread on a scion forum isn't going to change anything.

Hell, making a world wide announcement on tv isn't going to change anything.

People know smoking cigarettes could more than likely give you cancer and kill you. But people do it anyway.

You only get one chance in life, instead of complaining about something, why don't you start an organization? Sure, it still wouldn't change much but at very least you would be doing something more productive than you are now.

...Actually do one better, really want to help dent street racing? Open a chain of tracks that are open every day of the week, charge $5 per car for the day or night. 1. You'd make a killing. 2. It would take many street racers off the street and put them on a track.

Way i see it: This is pointless because everyone can complain and b**ch about things, situations or events. But very few have enough ***** to really make a motion and change things. Or at very least try.

Thats why this thread is pointless.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and now you have a new audi....
That I am paying for. My dad gave me what I got from the Scion as a downpayment; he is foolish, but I am not going to argue with him.

I need responsibility. Otherwise i'll repeat my mistake in a different scenario.

Back to topic.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if mcdonalds ever was short on employees they just need to PM alot of ppl in this thread.. the fact it has continued this long is a miracle by its self..

/ this ____ thread already
Old 12-06-2007, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

not to mention everyone one of those pros you mentioned does there "sport" under controlled conditions with medical personal RIGHT THERE.

Yeah....NOW they do. They didn't start that way like I have mentioned before.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

i think what needs to be made 100% clear is that the reason street racing is stupid is WHEN something bad happens to the drivers, or a bystander, or some lady walking down the street, medical attention isnt standing right there, meaning someone could get seriously hurt or die. and all because some vin diesel wanna-be wanted to be cool and see how fast he could his car to go.

And the problem is, none of those elements are present. So, you need to be addressing those people that do it with those elements present. And I don't believe there is one person here who said street racing was NOT stupid. Even street racers themselves know it's stupid. Again, not enough to stop some people though.

Quick Reply: Street racing is not a sport