Notices
Buyer / Seller Experiences rant or rave about an exchange...

ZPI's practices questionable...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OK OK OK geez this thread is getting hectic. I have read the first 11 pages and i cant continue. im going to put my 2 cents in. first off let me start by
I AM NOT SPONSORED BY ZPI NOR AM I A ZPI HYPE RIDER.
Everyone got that clear? Ok. I will say this much. As far as their stage 0 kit, it states clearly that you do not get an intercooler. And everyone on here basically says its stupid to run a turbo without an intercooler because compressed air is hot. Your right about compressed air, but its not stupid to run without i/c. Many volvos and other vehicles have been doing this for years to get a little extra umph. for the price of the kit, i dont think its bad. as far as engineering, yes trd has better technology, but lets be real, cars out of the factory are setup so stupid safe its retarded. you can successfully run the stage 0 without engine management. whether people decide to go with it or not thats their choice. the stage 0 is a budget kit for the folks who want the extra horsepower, a good look at a good price. its still cheaper then the supercharger and produces better numbers. i myself run a stage 1. i can say this much, when i went to zpi ( AND YES THAT MEANS PHYSICALLY WENT TO THEIR STORE IN THEIR BUILDING, ITS NOT A MYTH) i had no problems. Kenny and Keisha are a very respectable set of people. Her father is cool as hell also, there was also a few other workers there that i met that were awesome also. Theres alot of talk about them ripping people off. while i was there i think i spent around 300 or 400 bucks for about 1500 or higher worth of parts and work, easy. i definitely felt guilty when i left like i didnt pay them enough. i left owing them 100 bucks also which i paypal'd later. but my only complaint was this. once i arrived back home i placed an order for aem eugo. it took forever and i ended up settling for another part custom made for my car, a bov with a new throttle pipe. it took them a long time to get me the part.
I do think they get sidetracked, but i dont think they are intentionally trying to rip people off. Its not like they dont have money, but i also know they arent trying to become a super huge business. They are happy being a small business, and these are the frustrations of dealing with a small business. As far as customer service, even before i drove there i was getting excellent help. Maybe they chose to help me because i have a good personality on the phone, or maybe its how people approach them for help, i dont know, but i havnt had a bit of problem. slow shipping was an issue, but no big deal.
One complaint i have is selling items that arent instock. On their web page it should be updated on delays and items that are not in stock so there is no confusion as to delivery dates. all in all, if you havnt delt with them personally, dont judge their character. as far as getting that kid his money back, yeah they probably should have gotten it back to him. also keep this in mind, when you buy something from a company, you have to read the print. if it says 25 percent restocking fee, guess what, thats what your paying. dont blame them for your ignorance in not reading their agreement. im not justifying that the 25 percent is correct, but all in all thats their set price. if someone buys a kit from them, they order the parts and that buyer backs out, there should be a penalty. on top of that it costs money to refund money, and you cant expect the shop to cover all of that.
well im sure i will get flamed for my book but thats ok. i will try to check back here and see the replies but im currently in the middle east and only able to log on every now and again (stupid graphic intense scionlife prevents me from loading the pages).
Hopefully everything gets worked out and all turns out well. I vouch for them as being legit people, but how they handle business with everyone else i dont know. like i said, no major problems here, im quite content.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad

SL Member

Originally Posted by pollup
OK OK OK geez this thread is getting hectic. I have read the first 11 pages and i cant continue. im going to put my 2 cents in. first off let me start by
I AM NOT SPONSORED BY ZPI NOR AM I A ZPI hype RIDER.
Everyone got that clear? Ok. I will say this much. As far as their stage 0 kit, it states clearly that you do not get an intercooler. And everyone on here basically says its stupid to run a turbo without an intercooler because compressed air is hot. Your right about compressed air, but its not stupid to run without i/c. Many volvos and other vehicles have been doing this for years to get a little extra umph. for the price of the kit, i dont think its bad. as far as engineering, yes trd has better technology, but lets be real, cars out of the factory are setup so stupid safe its retarded. you can successfully run the stage 0 without engine management. whether people decide to go with it or not thats their choice. the stage 0 is a budget kit for the folks who want the extra horsepower, a good look at a good price. its still cheaper then the supercharger and produces better numbers. i myself run a stage 1. i can say this much, when i went to zpi ( AND YES THAT MEANS PHYSICALLY WENT TO THEIR STORE IN THEIR BUILDING, ITS NOT A MYTH) i had no problems. Kenny and Keisha are a very respectable set of people. Her father is cool as hell also, there was also a few other workers there that i met that were awesome also. Theres alot of talk about them ripping people off. while i was there i think i spent around 300 or 400 bucks for about 1500 or higher worth of parts and work, easy. i definitely felt guilty when i left like i didnt pay them enough. i left owing them 100 bucks also which i paypal'd later. but my only complaint was this. once i arrived back home i placed an order for aem eugo. it took forever and i ended up settling for another part custom made for my car, a bov with a new throttle pipe. it took them a long time to get me the part.
I do think they get sidetracked, but i dont think they are intentionally trying to rip people off. Its not like they dont have money, but i also know they arent trying to become a super huge business. They are happy being a small business, and these are the frustrations of dealing with a small business. As far as customer service, even before i drove there i was getting excellent help. Maybe they chose to help me because i have a good personality on the phone, or maybe its how people approach them for help, i dont know, but i havnt had a bit of problem. slow shipping was an issue, but no big deal.
One complaint i have is selling items that arent instock. On their web page it should be updated on delays and items that are not in stock so there is no confusion as to delivery dates. all in all, if you havnt delt with them personally, dont judge their character. as far as getting that kid his money back, yeah they probably should have gotten it back to him. also keep this in mind, when you buy something from a company, you have to read the print. if it says 25 percent restocking fee, guess what, thats what your paying. dont blame them for your ignorance in not reading their agreement. im not justifying that the 25 percent is correct, but all in all thats their set price. if someone buys a kit from them, they order the parts and that buyer backs out, there should be a penalty. on top of that it costs money to refund money, and you cant expect the shop to cover all of that.
well im sure i will get flamed for my book but thats ok. i will try to check back here and see the replies but im currently in the middle east and only able to log on every now and again (stupid graphic intense scionlife prevents me from loading the pages).
Hopefully everything gets worked out and all turns out well. I vouch for them as being legit people, but how they handle business with everyone else i dont know. like i said, no major problems here, im quite content.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pollup
Many volvos and other vehicles have been doing this for years to get a little extra umph.

Kenny and Keisha are a very respectable set of people. Her father is cool as hell also, there was also a few other workers there that i met that were awesome also.
Volvos have not been running intercoolers because their fuel system is made to withstand the boost from the factory. They go as high as 2 BAR stock. Their technology is just far more greater than the Scions. Now with all the newer model Volvos coming out I have seen some going as high as 2.5 BAR with no intercooler, and a option for 3 BAR with an intercooler setup.

So why even compare Volvo to Scion? That was just stupid. (not calling you stupid just calling your comment stupid)

As your point towards K & K. No one has ever questioned both of their character. Everyone questions their ability to run a small business.

My last point:

Without an intercooler you are more prone to detonation & piston damage, limited on how much boost you can safely run on pump gas (about 15 psi vs 25 on the same gas) and how much power you can generate.

That my friend is common knowledge. So its up to you on what you want to run on our tC. Stock fuel might be able to withstand 5psi, but you up that even more you will be needing EMS and a FMIC. Your LTFT/STFT will be so off your car will eventually have damage overtime, it will more than likely be a Rich Mixture/Lean Command and your AFR's will be all over the place.

Which where Engine Management comes into play to adjust all your readings and monitors to give you the best optimum AFR for your car at idle, through your rpm band, and at WOT.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by zer0
^^ Yea, lets give them till Aug. 1. That is the date backorders should be filled. We really dont need anymore talk, unless someone has another issue.
Agreed, besides this thread (for those of us that actually spent time here) really got out of hand. It's a "sit and wait" situation. ZPI has kept there word wherever possible, I'm excited to see all the orders filled (hell, including my own). With the advent of their new facility, staff increase, etc, things should be on track once again. Good luck to all!
Old 07-09-2006, 03:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My statement wasnt to compare volvos to scions, it was to state that a turbo can be run without an intercooler. Your right, volvos technology is far superior to scions, i was just saying its possible. yes you might run the risk of detonation, but then again anyone who knows a decent amount about turbos would want to run an intercooler anyways. there were a few comments stating kenny was trying to rip people off and that seems like a character attack to me. i agree about the engine management, it should be there, but you get what you pay for. instead of taking the cheap way out get the big kit, even if you dont want alot of boost, get the intercooler kit and lower the boost. i myself run 10psi with an intercooler and i havnt had many problems that arent usual from turbos. either way about the damage to your car, when you bolt on a turbo that forces more power of the motor then factory, then yes you are going to damage your vehicle at what ever rate. the motor is performing other then it was setup to do. either way, besides small business problems, they are alright. as you can tell my common knowledge of turbos is lacking, i know how they work, and i know what they do. i know when i stomp the gas i fly by people . makes me happy.

Volvos have not been running intercoolers because their fuel system is made to withstand the boost from the factory. They go as high as 2 BAR stock. Their technology is just far more greater than the Scions. Now with all the newer model Volvos coming out I have seen some going as high as 2.5 BAR with no intercooler, and a option for 3 BAR with an intercooler setup.

So why even compare Volvo to Scion? That was just stupid. (not calling you stupid just calling your comment stupid)

As your point towards K & K. No one has ever questioned both of their character. Everyone questions their ability to run a small business.

My last point:

Without an intercooler you are more prone to detonation & piston damage, limited on how much boost you can safely run on pump gas (about 15 psi vs 25 on the same gas) and how much power you can generate.

That my friend is common knowledge. So its up to you on what you want to run on our tC. Stock fuel might be able to withstand 5psi, but you up that even more you will be needing EMS and a FMIC. Your LTFT/STFT will be so off your car will eventually have damage overtime, it will more than likely be a Rich Mixture/Lean Command and your AFR's will be all over the place.

Which where Engine Management comes into play to adjust all your readings and monitors to give you the best optimum AFR for your car at idle, through your rpm band, and at WOT.[/quote]
Old 07-09-2006, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

I hate Volvo's.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

volvos technology is far superior to scions
I completely disagree. The Scion is not a turbocharged car. Its technology is just fine. When YOU add a turbo to the Scion, YOUR technology is lacking.
As your point towards K & K. No one has ever questioned both of their character.
I question their character! If you owe someone that much money for that long and continually tell them things that never come to pass, that's poor character in my book!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scott17
volvos technology is far superior to scions
I completely disagree. The Scion is not a turbocharged car. Its technology is just fine. When YOU add a turbo to the Scion, YOUR technology is lacking.
As your point towards K & K. No one has ever questioned both of their character.
I question their character! If you owe someone that much money for that long and continually tell them things that never come to pass, that's poor character in my book!
Your right, the scion is not a turbo charged car. But its also not a supercharged car either, yet its a factory option. If i want to put a friggin rocket on the back of my tc, then guess what, its rocket powered. to each's own i say. i like my turbo'd scion, and its numbers are very impressive for a 4 cylinder with a bolt on. and i agreed they should have refunded them the money.

whats this reference about my technology lacking? are you saying that turboing a scion is stupid? thats pretty funny since i have had no problems with the turbo, so whats lacking there? lets see, spend a few bucks, go faster, motor still runs great. sounds good to me..
Old 07-10-2006, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

If I only had time to explain this all to you.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:59 AM
5 Year Member

wtf does that have to do with zpi... go argue this in F/I

Anyways more ZPI concerns post it here!
Old 07-12-2006, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Please Keep all posts in one thread from this point on....

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73788