Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Air Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Air Compressor

Question for you tuners out there. I am thinking about getting an air compressor and air torque wrench to do my mods DIY. However, I was wondering what type of success people have had with the less expensive models out there. The way I figure is that if I get a $200 compressor (2 HP w/ 5 gallon tank on wheels) that it would soon end up paying for itself. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any specific recommendations or if any of you think that the cheap ones are not worth it.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:20 AM
Banned
SL Member

I personally have a no name tank that was given to me, and a set of impact tools i purchased from BJ's for $70 bucks. Have had this set up for about a year now, and have used it maybe a dozen times. It serves it purpose for me.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks CBSIMONSEZ. Anyone else using air tools around the home garage? Any suggestions for brand, hp, tank size, max psi. What has been working and how well?
Old 04-07-2004, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the bigger the tank the better.....air tools hog air....especially my impact gun.....are pressure isnt much of a concern since most tools max out around 90-110psi....and most compressors go way above 110lbs......i have mine regulated at 90psi.....
Old 04-07-2004, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Get something with a warranty from a reputable store. You want it to last as long as your Scion right? Also get a decent sized tank. Other than that price really is the main concern. It's just home use, you're not using it 24/7 like in a shop. Don't over spend if you're really not going to use it that often.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get a 30 gallon tank, minimum. the ones that stand straight up should be good for you if you're low on space.

just a reminder, these tanks are iron on the inside, they're just painted on the outside to look nice.

when you compress air, the water vapor condenses within the tank, every day you need to blow it out.

I suggest that when you let the tank empty, let all the air come out first.

when it stops, run the compressor for 10 minutes w/ the release valve on the bottom of the tank open. when no more water comes out, your tank is bone dry.

this will prevent rust.

also, you need to run compressor oil before every use. a light coat of oil will keep the inside of the tank coated with a little bit of oil.

Also, when using impact air tools, wear safety glasses, you never know what might pop out from excessive uses of force.

Another tidbit, always put a light weight oil into your tools before use, this will keep even cheap tools last forever.

If you want a good impact wrench, get one from ebay. A snapon or Mac impact wrench will usually kill anything.

Someone I know spent 99 bux on a 500ft/lb impact gun, and it works fine, it's husky brand from home depot, but when I tried to use it on a crank pulley bolt, that didn't work. I've read from other people that a snap on or mac impact gun works waaaaaaaaaay better.

Also remember, good impact tools don't come w/ a warranty.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info. I ended up getting a Husky w/ 17 gallon tank. The 30 gallon was a little big for storage reasons. Anyway, its got a 5 hp engine on it so it fills really quickly. It also has 150 max psi and operates at 5.1 SCFM @ 90 psi which should be fine for just about everything I'll want to do with it. Also I got an oil-less compressor, but as you say, I will most definitely oil the air tools so they last. Thanks again for the suggestions.