Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Problem at the Gas pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Jeez........Why not just get it fixed and not have to hassle with it anymore?
If it was the station why would Toyota come out with a TSB to fix it?
I've had it done, it makes a world of difference.
Just do it! (it doesn't cost you anything)
Old 03-14-2005, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FrankenScion
Jeez........Why not just get it fixed and not have to hassle with it anymore?
If it was the station why would Toyota come out with a TSB to fix it?
I've had it done, it makes a world of difference.
Just do it! (it doesn't cost you anything)
sounds good.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by agi_jw
Originally Posted by Dewmerz
Originally Posted by SCI_TC_GUY
the fact that some people will run to the dealership over ANYTHING kinda aggrevates me....that's why i say obsessive-compulsive......i say retards because some people can't figure out how to run a gas pump effectively by using common sense.....maybe just too many type-a personalities around here.....
Calling people retards because they are willing to do the research to find out if there is a fix for a problem they are having is wrong. I had the fill up problem since the day I bought my xB and searched on here to see if anyone else had the problem and what the fix was. I did not complain to my dealer about it as it was random with the stations I use but once a fix (not a recall) was issued I called my service writer and asked if he would order the parts and have the tech do the work. In the repair they replace the tank with a new part number as well as the filler neck with a new part number. If there is a new part number with a change in design there was obviously something wrong. It is just not fatal.

Try going to a state like Oregon where they do not let yu pump your own gas and watch the frustration of the gas station attendant.

I guess I am a retard because I care about my car and had it FIXED.
good point ... the gas station attendant takes their agrivation out of you/your car/your service .... so thank you for bringing that point out

and for me as woman ... i dont know much about cars ... so i was under impression "I" was filling my tank somehow wrong but actually no, its not me .... its car :-)

So thank you DEWMERZ for helping me :-)

yeah, i am going to NJ so i will have to deal with gas station attendants ... so i will see how it gets into them!!!!
eesh I'm going somewhere there is peace
Old 03-24-2005, 12:53 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by hnefrdo
OKAY! i have the gas pumping problem with my xa and it looks like my car falls under this "TSB."

what's a TSB?
Technical Service Bulletin. It's a notice to dealers that whatever needs to be fixed or replaced if the customer complains, not quite a recall as the problems are not dangerous, just annoyances like rattles, A/C not being cold enough, or a gas tank not accepting gas as fast as it should.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had the problem in my Jeep, but not since i got my tC. I know with my Jeep i had to screw around with it until it would take the gas. The pumps withouth the vapor seal never gave me a problem.... anyways, good luck!
Old 03-24-2005, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

u just pull the nozzle out about half way and it will not lock up. Some new cars it does this but just pull it out a little while ur pumping and itll b a ok.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know I'm a bit late on the subject but I figure I can add some of my knowledge to this. I'm a Fuels Tech for the Air Force so I know a little bit about how all this works. The cutting off is going to largely depend on the station and condition of the pumps, how fast they flow and how much volume is being pushed through, combined with the angle of your inlet valve the higher the rate the more backpressure and more shutoffs. Another factor is outside temp and fuel temp, the higher they are the more vapor you get and the more pressure that builds up in your tank and piping and without a proper vent it has nowhere to go so it causes the nozzle to shutoff. There's no real fixing the problem other than slowing down the flow rate or replacing your fuel systems pipes with a better vented system.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-20-2018 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Awarded USAF icon
Old 03-26-2005, 05:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by cubaricantC
I know i'm a bit late on the subject but I figure I can add some of my knowladge to this. I'm a fuels tech for the air force so I know a little bit about how all this works. The cutting off is going to largely depend on the sation and condition of the pumps, how fast they flow and how much volume is being pushed through, cobined with the angle of your inlet valve the higher the rate the more backpressure and more shutoffs. Another factor is outside temp and fuel temp, the higher they are the more vapor you get and the more pressure that builds up in your tank and piping and without a proper vent it has nowhere to go so it causes the nozzle to shutoff. Theres no real fixing the problem other than slowing down the flow rate or replacing your fuel systems pipng with a better vented system.
Not trying to flame you or anything but, if you haven't read this whole post you really shouldn't comment.

There is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) out on it. I have had it fixed, as have many others. Its just an inherrent problems that most xB's have.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I read the whole thing that was mainly for the tCs which if i'm not mistaken there is no TSB for. Maybe if youd read the whole thing you could have figured that one out.

I know you weren't trying to flame or whatever but I think I have the right to put my 2 pennies in when I wan't to and please don't say this thread wasn't meant for tCs because there were just as many tC owners replying to this thread as xAs or xBs. I'm not trying to be rude or anything but people on these forums kinda need to calm themselves on the thread policing, Its just possible that maybe someone has read a previous post or missed one that was posted 2 years ago and find it a tad easier to repost to get more up to date info or maybe would like to add some info to something they think might be relevant. This is a forum not your lifes work. We come here we get and exchange info and ideas, we shouldn't have to deal with everytime we post something someone wants to delete it or get chewed out because it was posted before on aug 15 1998 or something like that. All i'm trying to say is if the post isn't overly vulgar and demeaning in any way towards someone and its not offending anyone leave it alone.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My ole' man told me a long time ago that you shouldn't place the fuel spout all the way inside of the gas tank nozzle. I wish he was hear so i could ask him why...

But low and behold, I try it and... the auto lock works while refueling!
Old 04-07-2005, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Toyota designed the hole to be smaller so that people didn’t accidentally try filling up with diesel fuel.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

there is a service bulletin out for this. has anyone tried to get their dealer to fix the problem?

Make: TOYOTA
Model: SCION TC
Year: 2005
Type: PASSENGER CAR
Service Bulletin Number: 04904
NHTSA Item Number: 10011811
Summary Description:
DIFFICULTY ADDING FUEL TO THEIR VEHICLES. AN IMPROVED FUEL TANK AND FUEL TANK FILLER INLET PIPE HAVE BEEN DEVELOPED TO CORRECT THIS CONDITION. *NM
Old 06-01-2005, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lucky
there is a service bulletin out for this.
Actually, I've never seen that problem with my tC. Maybe it's just the early VINs?

Used to happen all the time with other cars I've had...my guess is that they changed the gas pump laws in WA a few years back (stations no longer have those big "vapor return" things attached to the nozzle) and that made a difference.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I had the problem with my xA and took it in. They replaced the tank and now I have no problems filling.

I also have to add that my mileage has been consistently better since getting the tank replaced. (I know, it really shouldn't be related, but I have no other explanation.)
Old 06-04-2005, 03:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

I attempted to have the service bulletin performed and the toyota dealership reported having no record of it in their system. they refused to look at my printout of the above bulletin.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BMarle
TSB EG049-04 November 19, 2004
Fuel Nozzle Clicks Off Before Tank Is Full
Applicable Vehicles: 2004-2005 model year Scion xA and xB vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VINs shown below.

Scion xA Takaoka Plant JTKKT6#4#50103217
Scion xB Takaoka Plant JTLKT3#4#50202999
Scion XB Central Plant JTLKT3#4#54007594
To expand on this, the TSB calls for the replacement of the following components:

Fuel Tank, replace 77001-52080 with 77001-52180
Fuel Filler Pipe, replace 77201-52170 with 77201-52270
Exhaust Pipe Gasket 17451-21030 (Exhaust has to be removed to remove tank)
Compression Springs (2) 90501-35036 (only if free length of spring doesn't meet spec)
Check Valve Gasket 77177-33010

When you're taking your car in for this work, be sure that you run the tank almost empty. No tech likes to have to deal with 10 gallons of gasoline!

George
Old 06-17-2005, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Scion Corporate is claiming the NHTSA screwed up and that the tC does not have an official fix out.
Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-20-2018 at 03:03 AM.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I fill up at Costco, Shell, and a Chevron once. No issues here.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-20-2018 at 03:04 AM.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I have seen lists of the TSBs for the tC, and none included this one.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lucky
scion corporate is claiming the NHTSA screwed up and that the tc does not have an official fix out. Can anyone confirm or deny this.
They are correct. The NHTSA site shows a TSB that is supposdly for a tC, but the TSB number is for the xA/xB document.

Quick Reply: Problem at the Gas pump