Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Rattle, Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default Rattle, Rattle

For a couple of months now, I have this like rattle that seems to come from the passenger side part of the car...almost sounds like the strut...so while I was getting my oil changed after my road trip to arizona from virginia, I asked them to check it out...they heard exactly the sound and went directly to the strut area...as soon as they saw that I had put on aftermarket springs they told me that they would not look no further..I pleaded with them and they looked and looked and measured and didnt find anything

this is what they diagnosed it as...the strut was put in incorrectly...is is "keyed" and was put in with the key not in the slot....cost to fix @ toyota $130

I said thank, but no thanks and went down to my local shop and asked them to comfirm this and fix it....after they looked and looked they said..wait a minute the strut is not keyed and is in correctly and the spring is seated correctly.

Soooo, what could be making this sound?

to rule out the trunklid, rear seat and glove box I had them fix the TSBs for them...still same problem
Old 09-23-2004, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If its still comming from the same area could it be the hood? Some one else claims to have a hood rattle so maybe. If its not that is everything down to right tq specs? Also im not sure but is there some type of rubber part that goes between the strut & strut mounting point? If not then I dont know. Hope you can figure it out.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

my box does it too. i think it is the latch on the passenger side rear seat. there is a toyota service memo that covers how to fix it. [/url]
Old 09-23-2004, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Shannon
my box does it too. i think it is the latch on the passenger side rear seat. there is a toyota service memo that covers how to fix it. [/url]
Yeah, I hear a similar sound in my xB and I am pretty sure the seat is what it is. I haven't even fixed it...I'm just content knowing what the noise is.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Shannon
Supposidly, they fixed the seat...I had it done a a month or so ago, but still the rattle rattle