Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Scheduled maintenance and coupon books.... whaaa?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scheduled maintenance and coupon books.... whaaa?

When I got the financing on my tC, I went ahead and got the warranty extension to 7 years/100,000 miles in addition to an optional service plan for 3 years/37, 500.

Today I got the information on the service plan in the mail and included was a coupon booklet. Every 7,500 miles I get a free oil and filter change and every 15,000 they additionally do a 15 point inspection. I just bring in my coupon for the mileage and they staple it to my service order and I drive off.

Additionally, they included a series of coupons for discounts on maintenence services (50% off tire rotation, 5% off AC servicing, free brake inspection, etc), which isnt bad since those services aren't covered under warranty and I haven't the means or knowledge to do them myself.

Since I paid for it, I'm definitely going to use those oil change coupons. However, I'd rather run the engine with a synth or synth-blend. I doubt these 7,500 mile intervals are for synth oil (though the mileage interval makes me think they are), but do you think I should go ahead and put the synth in myself before the first change?

I haven't got it in front of me now, but when is the first recommended maintenance for the Scion? 5,000 or 7,500? It would be stupid to go in for scheduled maintenance and then return a month later to get it done again for free cause my coupon says so.

Tell me what y'all think.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:02 AM
5 Year Member

I know nothing of synthetic oils or oils in general for that matter. But I have this Castrol windshield sticky on my front windshield that says 3000 on it. So I'm guessing thats when the first oil change should be at.
Old 03-30-2005, 05:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok here is the recomended oil change intervals! every 3000 running regular oil it is ok to run to 5000 miles running synthetic oil it is recomende every 5000 but you can runn it to 7000 and I got the service plan because yes I work on vehicles all week long and no I dont want to work on mine unless I have to or it is a considerable savings!!!!! As I recall The coupons say every 3000 and the dealer recomends 5000! it also depends on the type of driving you do and the enviornment you are driving in! If you live in a verry dusty area i would recomend a shorter change period and if you a lot of stop and go driving if it is mostly freeway driving and you arnt driving in a high dust area I would go for longer change periods!!! And for all of you that think that oil should be cleen when you drain it you are dead wrong!!! o the dirtyer and blacker the oil is the better it is working it meen the oil is taking that junk out of the engine!!!