Notices
Maintenance & Car Care Tune-ups and shake-downs...

Someone egged my Egg!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Someone egged my Egg!

So I was parked peacefully on the street in front of my girlfriend's house, for no longer than it took to watch CSI and South Park. I got in my car to drive away, checked the rear view mirror, and lo and behold, the rear windshield was smudged to the point that I could no longer see through it. Mother trucker! I knew what had happened! Naturally, I did not expect the Police Department to be able to help -- what exactly did they have to go on? Finger prints from the egg? Come on, I was watching CSI on TV, not on the news or in real life. No, so I took some pictures, which will be posted soon, and washed the offending ovum from my vehicle.

The reason that I'm posting this in Maintenance & Car Care is to ask for any opinions on how to prevent any permanent paint damage from where the egg ran down the hatch and bumper. I've heard that egg can cause serious damage to clearcoat, so should I report this to my insurance comapny before it is too late to make a claim? Does anyone have any horror stories about egg damange? And most importantly, do you think my baby will be all right?

EDIT: Here's the picture that I promised. Best I could do in the dark of an Alaskan night.

Old 10-21-2005, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The most harm to a car's paint job from an egg is the impact, the fragments from the shell will leave small scratches in the paint job.

Luckily, it looks like the impact was on your glass.

I believe that egg yokes are slightly acidic and can do damage to the paint if left for long. Now, I'm hoping that sprayed it off when you got home, so if it was on there for a max of maybe an hour or so, I'd say that not much damage would have been done to the paint.

Get the car all cleaned up and inspect the paint, if you see any scratches or marring, I'd go ahead and go to the store and buy some Meguiar's ScratchX. Follow the directions and you should be able to get out any defects by hand.

I don't think this warrents a claim to insurance as you will have to pay out your deductable to get it fixed. If you have a $500 deductable like I do, it would hardly be worth it to bring it in to have the paint cleaned and polished as you would just end up paying for it anyway.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

WHEN?WHAT? HOly ISH Gary When Did this happen? i just talked to you yesturday didn't I?
Old 11-01-2005, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It happened almost two weeks ago! Somehow I knew you would find this thread, too! Everything worked out all right, except now the car needs to be washed AGAIN and it's too cold to do it. Any tips on car washing in the frigid North?
Old 11-01-2005, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AKScionxb
WHEN?WHAT? HOly ISH Gary When Did this happen? i just talked to you yesturday didn't I?
^^He did it! I watch CSI too. The first person to show up at the scene asking the police what happened is ALWAYS the one who did it. There's your egger. Case closed.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha...I'd believe that if he didn't live 300 miles away! Besides, after his baby got hurt a while back, I'm sure he wouldn't do that to someone else.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

Also, for the future, DO report any vandalism to the Police. Chances are that yours wasn't the only car vandalized and you'd be surprised at how often these vandals are caught through their own stupidity. Our club President had his rear window taken out (along with several other people in his neighborhood) and the kids responsible were eventually caught with the help of some eye witnesses or something like that.

CSI? Probably not, but I've also watched "America's Dumbest Criminals."

Hope everything turned out okay.

-Alex
Old 11-01-2005, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes, it was reported to the Police Department, and no, my car wasn't the only one that was reported egged. Unfortunately, they never caught anyone. I've got my eyes open, though...