Notices
Regional - Northeast: NYC Metro New York City Metropolitan Area

When are they going to fix Belt Pkwy

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 03:22 PM
SL Member

Default When are they going to fix Belt Pkwy

The potholes and bumps on the bridges of Belt Pkwy are so terrible, every weekend I go to Brooklyn from Queens there is always traffic jam on Belt because cars slow down to 20 mph on those areas.

One of my friend told me that I will love Toyota suspension for sure before I bought my XB, but I actually felt better with my old Integra when going through those bumps. This is my biggest disappointment on the Scion XB. I only drive once a week and Belt is the only rout I drive, now I just hope the city will fix those terrible roads so I won't feel so bad in my XB
Old 08-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

never, and if they do fix it its gonna take 20 yrs jus how it took about 10/15 yrs to fix the van wyck, which is still sh*tttt
Old 08-06-2009, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Man keep dreaming for that to happen, LoL.....Besides there are other ways to get to Brooklyn from Queens
Old 08-07-2009, 05:28 PM
SL Member

I used to take Jackie Robinson Pkwy, love those curves on my Integra, but can't do it with XB any more so I take Belt. I thought if the bumps are so bad that even 4x4 have to slow down then the city would do something.
Plus driving a stick shift on a go and stop traffic is very tiring...
Old 08-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

never happening, and I hateee the curves and turns on the jackie robinson lol
Old 08-29-2009, 03:36 AM
SL Member

The reason why people slow down at the bridges is because they can't see over the crest to the other side (imagine a car stalled 20 feet on the other side of the crest on the passing lane at 2 AM?) and crosswinds affect those big SUV's on some days. One time I went over that drawbridge at 85 mph. Bad mistake because I had absolutely no control of my car for that split second on the steel surface. Also, there's that traffic light before the drawbridge so people slow down thinking it may turn red. You can also blame the livery cab drivers that do 45 mph on the left lane and won't move to the right. Then there's always the loads of people coming onto the Belt from Springfield Blvd (eastbound) and Nassau Expressway (westbound) because they want to avoid the tolls on the bridges toward Rockaways. Finally there's those really short entrance ramps at 135st before splitting onto Southern State Parkway. I find the best times to go crazy on NYC highways is 4AM or 2AM. Pick your poison. There are alternatives you can take like 495 or Grand Central Parkway.

Best places to SPEED on the Belt (Westbound):
1) After merging with Southern State Parkway btwn. 121 st and south conduit ave.
2) After exit 17west (No Conduit Ave) until the Fountain Ave bridge (most potholed bridge)
3) The area between Spring Creek Park bridge and Fresh Creek basin bridge with Erskine street and the huge Home Depot outleft on your right.
4) From Fresh Creek basin bridge to next bridge near Bergen beach.
5) After Mobil gas station at Flatbush exit.
6) 35 seconds of heaven after Ocean parkway exit near Coney Island Hospital.
7) All the miles after Verrazano bridge exit until 66th street exit.

Best places to SPEED on the Belt (Eastbound):
1) After the split from 278 near 62nd street till the merge from Verrazano and Fort Hamilton Pkwy.
2) 1 minute of enjoyment after Bay Parkway exit up to exit 6.
3) After passing by Knapp street (UA movie theater) up till Mobil gas station. This place is variable in traffic, only in the afternoons it gets crowded because of that little rest area/ beach.
4) After the drawbridge near that horse ranch until Rockaway Parkway.
5) Spring Creek area.
6) After Nassau Expwy/ JFK exit up to Springfield Blvd.

Hope this helps and stop tailgating other people in that Xbox of yours because the rocks from the car in front of you is what's cracking the XB's windshield.