Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

08-10 Tail light mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 07:52 PM
SL Member

Default 08-10 Tail light mod

What's up everyone! I've been toying with the idea of modding the 08-10 tail lights since I got my 08. I've never been thrilled with the reverse lights being moved to the top, plus I love the look of the eye lids on the tail lights, which would render them useless (more than they already are). Also you could either paint match the eye lid or tint it...all your choice.

I plan to relocate the reverse light to the reflector in the lower corner near the hatch like so:

Name:  reversemod_zpsf394e660.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  45.5 KB

The next mod for the tails would be a turn signal mod, where the silver rings would flash from the inside to the outside when activated, like so:

1st flash
Name:  Turnmodp1_zps7efff51a.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  49.6 KB
2nd flash
Name:  Turnmodp2_zps978fab45.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  48.3 KB
3rd flash
Name:  Turnmodp3_zps28e01952.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  49.6 KB

The turn indicator and side marker would be tinted (with overlay) and blacked out (or color matched with the rest of the housing to your paint code). I didn't add the tint/color matching due to the images being the main mod I want to do.

All thoughts and comments appreciated!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know if the 08-10 turn signal area has a separate interior lens like the 05-07 tails. If you do, you can tint that. It'll give it a cleaner look than tinting directly on the outside/inside of that exterior lens. If you don't know what I mean, PM me with your email address and I can send you some pictures.

Tinting that turn signal area will help clean up the look but if you're also making that bottom reflector clear, I'm not too sure if that'll contrast too much seeing as the rest of the taillight is composed of darker colors (assuming you've tinted the top turn signal). Just my two cents- as they say, "to each their own"!

Reminds me of the mustang tails. very cool. I'm a mechanical engineer and I've took a few electrical circuit classes.. but I haven't got any idea how you would do it LOL hopefully you know what you're doing. Post some pics of your progress!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, what about daytime running lights where those (I assume is LED) bezels would glow red when the parking lights are on and than illuminate brighter when signaling. Just an idea, though it'd be awkward if you're set on doing the transitioning light movement.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:10 PM
SL Member

If I remember correctly the outer light (the brake lights) are also the parking lights, so that won't be an issue. As for the reflector lenses all 3 of the areas I'm working on are removable, and if they aren't they will be. I know a few things about electronics (I'm working on an Official iPod/AUX rewire thread) so if I do need any help I'll hit ya up (plus I'm starting school at UTI Monday to become ASE certified).

The bottom reflector will be removed completely and will have LEDs installed. As for the turn signal lens I'll probably tint the actual lens (paint matching would be for SW or another lighter color). The housing itself will be paint matched, so between tint and lens removal, including the side marker, it should look like the lights are protruding from the body itself. The statement of "mustang tails" is kind of where the idea came from, I've always liked that feature and love the "waterfall" effect with lighting.

PM me and get my contact info brotha!
Old 03-22-2014, 09:59 PM
SL Member

BTW, if anyone has a set of 08-10 tail lights they want to donate for this project, it would be much appreciated! I DD my car to/from school/work so those are staying for now. Just be in decent condition...for those of you who have new tail lights, you should help this project I can send the finished product back if you like how they come out...or be the guinea pig
Old 03-23-2014, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Much props to you for trying this. The idea sounds great and I can't wait to see updates. I've always liked the sequential signals on the mustangs.