Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

5 bulbs in 5 months, headlight issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default 5 bulbs in 5 months, headlight issues?

About 5 Months ago one of my low beams burnt out, it was an original oem. I replaced both with Sylvania Silver Star Ultras, about 3 months later one burnt out. I replaced them both with Sylvania Silver Stars, just what the local store had in stock, and I saved the good Ultra as back up. Two weeks later one of the Silverstars burnt out so I replace it with the good Ultra I saved. Two days later the Ultra burnt out. Three days later the other Silverstar went. Now after a week with no low beams, one of my original oem high beams went out yesterday. Should I just be really ____ed with Sylvania which I've been told are junk, or should I be suspecting other electrical issues in my car?
Old 01-25-2009, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I know people that have had issues with sylvania, but I have run them for over 50k in the past without failing.

But, even with not so great quality bulbs they should not be burning out that fast. My guess is that you are touching the bulbs with your fingers before installing them. That will cause them to fail quickly every time. If you touch the glass part, you need to wipe it down very well with alcohol before installing it, and handle it with a clean rag if you must touch the glass portion.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't touch the Dang Bulb w/ your Greasy Finger's!!!!...LoL....U know!

Just purchase a HID Kit too!
Old 01-25-2009, 08:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

one of my silverstar ultras went out in a matter of 2 months.
it was the one i thouched with my fingers...

with the money youve spent on bulbs.. you could have bought an HID kit by now!
Old 01-25-2009, 09:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is the unfortunate thing about halogens, heck even if you breathe on them wrong they could end up failing. I have some Silverstar Ultra's in the Ram and they have been going strong for 83,000 miles now. Heck they don't even look "smoked" on the inside of the glass.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

no offense but i didn't mention not touching the bulb cause that's common sense to me. I"m smarter than that I always make sure not to touch the glass. The high and low that originally went out were untouched original oem's, unless coincidence thats another reason this is starting to make me wonder. Nobody in town sells anything but sylvania and i gotta do some night driving so I just broke down and got another set tonight guess I'll see what happens.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My wife's tC had both of the original low beams go out at the exact same time one night. She started the car, turned on the lights, they flashed and then only thing left was the running lights. She had to drive home on high beam, and foglights when she met other cars. Since then I too have had to replace probably 3 sets between both headlights. And as you stated, I too did not touch the bulbs before installing them, I even wiped them down with denatured alcohol, so I know your frustration.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Crex14
what was theproblem with the lights????this same thing happened to me but i checked the bulbs and their not blown. plus i checked the fuses and they arent blown either.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^I never found out what was causing it. I checked the fuses first thing, because I thought there was no way that both bulbs would blow at the same time, but I was wrong. I don't know what would cause yours to go out if the bulbs and fuses are good. Maybe the switch?
Old 01-27-2009, 12:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Silverstars are junk. I've heard of them burning out quickly. Save your money and get an HID kit.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

check your harness wire jack....you might have soem corrosion in there creating a poor connection that will build up resistance and cause the bulbs to die off faster too......went through that with my last car.blow them out clean with air and then plly a little bit of dilectric grease to the junction.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by BZinn1
check your harness wire jack....you might have soem corrosion in there creating a poor connection that will build up resistance and cause the bulbs to die off faster too......went through that with my last car.blow them out clean with air and then plly a little bit of dilectric grease to the junction.
man im glad i got on here cause i was going to go get them replaced and freak out on the cost , things cant come at a more worse time for me . my wife is tippin and needs her car for work so i got to get this done , anyone able to follow up on there posts. my tc is ____ing me off ive got like 130+ so i know when a good time for bulbs to go out is but it seams a lill weird just out lights in didnt touch them , has anyone had to rplace there high low switch cause of this
Old 08-04-2009, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

didn't have problems with my silver star ultras, they were great, until a deer attack destroyed the passenger side headlight.