Notices
Scion tC 1G Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Quick and Dirty H.I.D. FAQ For N00bs

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:00 AM

I don't think DDM tuning is selling hid anymore
They say its back-ordered but from what I've heard their lifetime warranty finally caught up to them as they didn't fulfill defects. I'm not sure but they had changed that back order date many times
Oh yea, another thing. I've sold hid for the past few years so I know a thing or two about these stuff. I dealt with factories directly.

Because each vendor can run out of stock, they can get product from another so they made a system to tell the difference in quality

Here's my input and its from first hand experience
Here's how you can tell which one is good and bad

Bulbs: (look at power wire)
Light blue is best
Dark blue is next
Red is worst

Ballast: Long story short just go by weight
14-16 oz is best
10-14 is what everyone should be selling
Anything under 10oz would be considered lowest quality and I've seen 8oz ballast
I am referring to slim ballast. NOT ultra slim

Also there are wires that come out of the ballast. Just make sure the color on the power wires matches between bulb and ballast.
So if your bulbs power wire is red but the ballast is blue, it will work but better and last longer if the chemistry between the two are more compatible

Have you seen ballast under water?
Thats because those ballast are injected with heat shrinking foam inside. Doesn't really help. Its not like you will turn on your hid under water. Only good for moisture

Hope this helps

Also, for those who are considered noobs and have a hard time installing hid. Google a type of hid kit call "All in one Hid kit" They have it for 9006 and I had it on 2005 TC. If you can change your original bulb then this is the kit for you. Bulb and ballast built as one. I had good experience with them. Black and silver are cheapo. All black ones are better

Last edited by hpun49; 04-08-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hate it when I have to drive anywhere near someone who has HID's. ____ those things are bright as hell, and quite frankly... unnecessary.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:47 PM

Ethan get over yourself and just grab a diaper and some sunglasses if their to bright for you. If you think about it H.I.D. were created for people like me who live on long un lighted streets in nm so that we can see. And look at the progression of headlights bro. From sealed beam lights that provided little to no usable light to hid's that can light up a 5 lane highway. They provide usable light and thats why they have been adopted to most car manufactures. I love my HID's and since i did my retro fit i haven't been flashed once unlike my pnp 8K kit where i couldn't even turn them on without being flashed.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scion TC- Please Help- HID's Not Working

I bought this kit new just a bit back. All of the sudden neither the drivers or passengers side bulbs are lighting up. I'm not sure what the problem is. I've checked the in-line fuse in the fuse block holder, the headlight fuses in the car and I cannot find a loose wiring connection. Can anyone else give me a suggestion??? Thanks!
Old 04-23-2011, 08:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the kit I bought is the DDM Tuning 55w 6000k HIDs
Old 04-24-2011, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so, if anyone can help me out that would be great.

i have a kit i bought from mobileHID a long time ago and my relay just went, it was corroded from the winter. Anyone know where i can get the relay for this?

its 40a/120v
Old 04-25-2011, 02:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

Originally Posted by straightsilver21
so, if anyone can help me out that would be great.

i have a kit i bought from mobileHID a long time ago and my relay just went, it was corroded from the winter. Anyone know where i can get the relay for this?

its 40a/120v

I wish they were still around, they sold the best kits.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by uncblue07tc
I bought this kit new just a bit back. All of the sudden neither the drivers or passengers side bulbs are lighting up. I'm not sure what the problem is. I've checked the in-line fuse in the fuse block holder, the headlight fuses in the car and I cannot find a loose wiring connection. Can anyone else give me a suggestion??? Thanks!
try to use a relay. When I bought mine, I tried to install it without a relay, it didn't work. It's working fine with the relay.

P.S I got mine from DDM Tuning, 55w 6000k
Old 05-31-2011, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just popped these off my 08 tC and threw them on my girls 11 tC - No relays, no expensive kit - Bought these off eBay for $34 free shipping back in 2008 and they still running stong - eBay respect!
Old 05-31-2011, 05:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DRL light delete as well btw - 8K for reference
Old 07-09-2011, 08:12 AM

Should I go with 6000K or 8000K on my 06 csm?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:53 PM

Im all for ebay! u can find some good stuff if u know what ur looking at and how to shop it.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:28 PM

Just some quick info for my virginia ppl and the law with hid's. state law says u are not allowed to have hid's unless they are factory, UNLESS you properly install them so they do look stock. so you must buy a conversion kit or a "plug and play" kit to hook the hid's to your stock wiring. and you still arent allowed to have them unless you have the proper housing to properly "project" the beam. so you must have projector headlights because if you have hid's on ur stock housings, and ur coming towards a cop, he can write you up because your light is shing in every direction and he can say you blinded him. so for you folks, id take the extra step so u wont get pulled over. you may have hidks installed but only if you have projector headlights to properly shine them bright bltches. lol. this is an arguable topic but i hope this little fact helps some of you who live in somewhat strict states like me.
Old 09-01-2011, 03:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mandystc
Just some quick info for my virginia ppl and the law with hid's. state law says u are not allowed to have hid's unless they are factory, UNLESS you properly install them so they do look stock. so you must buy a conversion kit or a "plug and play" kit to hook the hid's to your stock wiring. and you still arent allowed to have them unless you have the proper housing to properly "project" the beam. so you must have projector headlights because if you have hid's on ur stock housings, and ur coming towards a cop, he can write you up because your light is shing in every direction and he can say you blinded him. so for you folks, id take the extra step so u wont get pulled over. you may have hidks installed but only if you have projector headlights to properly shine them bright bltches. lol. this is an arguable topic but i hope this little fact helps some of you who live in somewhat strict states like me.
Wisconsin must be diff , I've read the statutes word for word, it talks about proper aiming, 75ft from front of vehicle, enough to light up signs on right side but also must be mounted a certain height off the ground (in other words, lowering / lifting your car is illegal period) lol unless u remount ur projectors at the right height.

HIDs in TC halogen projectors would be a fail regardless without proper modding imo.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone know how much glare there is on the tc without projectors? ive lookd at other cars and noticed that the prius has the same large round housing setup as us and they dont have projectors. so would ours shine bout the same or shine all over the place like im afraid theyd do. i really wanna get the purple 12000k hid's but wont if i gotta get the housings first. any pics would probably help. TIA
Old 10-13-2011, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by skeeter04
Does anyone know how much glare there is on the tc without projectors? ive lookd at other cars and noticed that the prius has the same large round housing setup as us and they dont have projectors. so would ours shine bout the same or shine all over the place like im afraid theyd do. i really wanna get the purple 12000k hid's but wont if i gotta get the housings first. any pics would probably help. TIA
1st - DO NOT run purple 12K HID's unless you are on a showfloor. Illegal, and the purpose of headlights is so you can see in the dark... ever see violet on black paper? not a pretty sight lol.

The Prius runs D2R OEM bulbs (R denotes REFLECTOR). The housing is reflector, BUT... the cut-off shield is designed to reduce the glare. Your OEM TC halogens will glare all over the place because it was not meant to run factory HID.

Your best route is to do this...Here is the 08-10 OEM projectors, MODIFIED for no "squirrel spotter" aka glare to light up the signs.

Name:  ksTBl.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  14.1 KB

OR get a real retro-fit projector done to your headlights and get this... (Not my pic, it is a single projector output of TSX projector + lens)

Old 10-13-2011, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That really helps a lot. i had a feeling it would glare. i thank u for ur information. as for the 08-10 headlights, how do u "modify" them? just curious. that light beam looks really good too btw.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will have a DIY on how to install AUDI-Style LED strips into headlights soon, so I will link it to you personally... soon! lol as soon as I get pics up!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So has anyone come out with an official HID headlight yet?
Old 12-09-2013, 07:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not going to read through 15 pages of posts to see if this was mentioned yet but...

I have an 07 tc and I've had Kensun 6K HID for High and Low beams for about 2 years now and haven't had a problem yet. Just my 2 cents.

Low Beams

High Beams

Quick Reply: Quick and Dirty H.I.D. FAQ For N00bs