Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

05 Engine whine..

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 02:47 PM

Default 05 Engine whine..

I got an 05 maybe 3 months ago or so. It had a whine in the Engine from the first time I started it. I thought it was the Alternator, had AutoZone do the test on it after I put a new battery in it because it happened to die in their parking lot. Test showed bad alt. The man I got the car from swore it was good his mechanic checked. Battery was replaced. No more power issues other than the ridiculous whine in the engine bay. It is consistent with acceleration like an alt. Whine but it's weird its consistent until the car changes gears and then the sound of the whine in the gear change slightly lags from the the car actually changing gears. Car runs drives rides AMAZING other than that dang whine. Changed the Alternator yesterday was super pumped it wasn't going to do it any more and bam, I'm wrong. Still whines up. It ever so slightly lessens if I put the car in neutral to idol but not enough to matter at all.
could it be something w the trans or torque converter. No one knows anything about these cars where I'm from so I'm literally on a snag!

Give me any and all ideas!!!!

___

Last edited by MR_LUV; 05-29-2021 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-29-2021, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have you checked the power steering fluid level? How about the condition of the accessory belt?

Check these videos. One might be the culprit.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...e+accelerating
Old 05-30-2021, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's some design flaw in transmission input or output bearing that causes that whine. One guy actually found this bug, re-engineered it, made his own bearing carrier, took apart his tranny to install and whine was gone!

I did everything I could think of on my 2004 to get rid of whine (short of installing re-designed bearing carriers). I flushed and replaced T-IV ATF along with dropping pan, cleaning magnets and replacing filter. Toyota is bats for suggesting fluid can last lifetime, it's more like 50k-miles max. Toyota's own techs suggests replacing it often. Whine was reduced significantly, but I can still hear it.

What finally got rid if whine (to barely detectable levels) was installing external Hayden trans-fluid cooler (I was planning on towing motorcycle to tracks), then using Red Line HighTemp ATF. It's fully-synthetic formulae compared to Toyota's mineral-oil based Type-IV fluid. Doesn't shear and get thin under load and high-heat.

My late-2005 doesn't have this whine at all. So I suspect Toyota found their design flaw and fixed it around mid-2005.
Old 06-02-2021, 05:30 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
There's some design flaw in transmission input or output bearing that causes that whine. One guy actually found this bug, re-engineered it, made his own bearing carrier, took apart his tranny to install and whine was gone!

I did everything I could think of on my 2004 to get rid of whine (short of installing re-designed bearing carriers). I flushed and replaced T-IV ATF along with dropping pan, cleaning magnets and replacing filter. Toyota is bats for suggesting fluid can last lifetime, it's more like 50k-miles max. Toyota's own techs suggests replacing it often. Whine was reduced significantly, but I can still hear it.

What finally got rid if whine (to barely detectable levels) was installing external Hayden trans-fluid cooler (I was planning on towing motorcycle to tracks), then using Red Line HighTemp ATF. It's fully-synthetic formulae compared to Toyota's mineral-oil based Type-IV fluid. Doesn't shear and get thin under load and high-heat.

My late-2005 doesn't have this whine at all. So I suspect Toyota found their design flaw and fixed it around mid-2005.

Toyota claims lifetime on all their products (Lexus and Scion). My LS400 made it 256k miles without a fluid change. Now it needs a new transmission, or at least a rebuilt one. I was the second owner and bought it at 246,000 miles. Researched the service records and everything on that car had been serviced or replaced except for the transmission. Big ouch. Now it sits in a friend’s backyard waiting until I can find a suitable transmission.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DannoXYZ

Thissss. Change that transmission fluid OP. Low fluid will cause a whine like this. Old/burned fluid can cause noises as well. Some disagree with me, but I change my tranny fluid every 30k.