Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2006 Scion TC coming to an end?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2022, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2006 Scion TC coming to an end?

Hello all.
Im coming up to my 16-17th year now with my 06 BSP. Sole owner of this car and now at 174k miles manual transmission. Last few days been feeling the gears getting tougher to get into. Not really feeling much of any difference on the clutch. Yesterday.. BAM couldn't get into gear. I was able to jam it in 2nd and drive like that until I got home.. (Luckily I was close to home)
After much reading online, it looks like a clutch master/slave cylinder needs replacement. BUT this may not fully fix my problem. It could also be the clutch that needs replacement. After calling up a couple dealerships and local mechanics I got the same quote.. for master/slave cylinder installed around 12-1400.. Clutch is about 1400 installed. I live in South FL so Im sure this is probably much higher than it should be, because thats normal now.

Anywho.. I could hope and spend the 1400 on the cylinders and if it fixes it, I can move forward and sell and get myself a Kia GT forte manual or keep pushing until the car finally craps out on me. I just changed the starter myself like 2 months ago and its been fine since..
I guess what I'm asking is for opinions. The car isnt worth more than 2k.. is it worth repairing?
Thanks all.

PS.. Just found locally a used 06 tc stick shift with only 100k miles... 4700... hmmmmmmm
Old 11-29-2022, 02:30 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Reasons to change an entire clutch assembly.

If the clutch disc is worn out and slipping during acceleration.

If the flywheel face is burnt and clutch engagement feels jittery and the car vibrates when starting to move the car from being stationary.

If the clutch disc has "exploded".

If some of the spring tines on the pressure plate have broken off.

When it is difficult to position the shift lever smoothly into one or more gear positions.
Old 11-29-2022, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

"If the clutch disc is worn out and slipping during acceleration.

If the flywheel face is burnt and clutch engagement feels jittery and the car vibrates when starting to move the car from being stationary.

If the clutch disc has "exploded".

If some of the spring tines on the pressure plate have broken off."

To be honest.. If the clutch was ever changed, I wouldn't even be able to tell you since its been so long. Symptoms of what I felt were, getting into gear was getting tougher. Then it was like thrusting them into gear even when I was flooring the clutch. Then.. no matter what I did, it wouldn't budge into gear. Luckily I was able to get it into 2nd and made it home. I never felt any change on the clutch since the symptoms started. I've had a clutch gone bad on me in another car, but this was different which is leading me to believe its the cylinders. I am really hoping it is. I think I'm moving forward with the repair. Maybe it will last me long enough to be ready for a new 2023 Scion tc. lol
Old 11-30-2022, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Something as simple as an air bubble in your slave-cylinder line could prevent gear changes.

Ever had to top off the brake fluid?

Ever had air in your brake lines?

Had any brake work done recently?

Your clutch does not have a dedicated master cylinder. It shares the brake system's master cylinder. Air could enter your slave cylinder line the same way air get into brake lines - too little brake fluid in the reservoir.

Doesn't sound like you're experiencing the problems that 18TTony described. I'd consider bleeding the clutch slave cylinder line, particularly if you answered yes to any of the above questions.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, I haven't touched the brake system in a while. I'm hoping I'm wrong. I'm going to really take a look at everything before taking it in to get fixed to see what I can do. If I find anything weird or fix it, I'll update. Just need it for a few more months! lol
Old 12-10-2022, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got quoted 2800 for a clutch replacement and master/slave cylinder replacement. Had to decline and now looking at new options.
So far Im looking at the 2023 Kia GT forte manual. Drove it and it was amazing. Do you know they are putting tv screens as infotainment systems! lol. It was a fun ride. close to 17 years single owner. <3
Old 12-14-2022, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to hear the clutch/brake news. That Kia you're looking at sounds awesome. Sooner than later, your tC will be a distant (yet fond) memory. Best wishes with the Kia.