Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Bad Clutch and Bull Sh!t from Longo

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Bad Clutch and Bull **** from Longo

It all started with clunking noises (metal to metal contact) while switching gears. Took it to Longo and the first thing they did was blame my TRD lowering springs. I didn’t buy it and took it in a second time: this time they blamed the same problem on my CAI. I still didn’t give up. I made about 4 different visits to Longo for the same problem but got the same BS excuses. (They actually removed my intake at one point which DID NOT resolve the problem. Yet the managed to blame it on the intake anyhow!) The problem was never resolved.

3 Months later I attempt to drive my car today and it doesn’t get into gear. Any gear, it seems like the tranny is stuck. So I was left with no choice but to have my car towed to Longo (I chose Longo because my car has a history at that dealership with tranny problems and the clunking noises and figured they would be more willing to replace the thing).

This was a BAD IDEA

I had the Shop Forman look at my car and the first thing he mentioned was that I had some extra wiring (wiring of my angel eyes). He also mentioned that I have an exhaust, which he had the nerve to say makes my car a stereotypical racing car. He automatically assumed that my clutch blew out because I drive “hard”. He came to this conclusion based on the fact that I had some extra wiring and an exhaust that came factory on my car when I first bought it from the dealer.

Later I requested to speak to a manager who wanted to charge me $1,000 just to do a “teardown” and determine what the problem is. And of course that money will go to waste if they decide that warranty is not going to cover whatever the problem may be. NOT A RISK I WAS WILLING TO TAKE. After all, in the past they actually claimed that clunking noises from my transmission area were caused by my TRD Lowering Springs.

I basically told him that I have no trust in this dealership because of the constant BS and told him I will rather take my car to another dealership.

And I did.

Norwalk Scion,

Excellent customer service, and most importantly… NO BS. Very straight forward. I dropped my car off. They charged me $140 for the same diagnostic Longo was gonna charge $1,000. They later told me that I have a bad clutch and that warranty will not cover it.

I will most likely have them replace the clutch for me. They are charging $1,150. I will get some other quotes and if they are in the same region I will def. have the dealer replace it for me.

Very dissapointed with Longo Toyota / Lexus / Scion.
Horrible customer service
Tried to rip me off
and too many BS excuses.

I will never step foot into that dealership again.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

This is why I try to avoid buying upgrades for my car whenever I think buying a strut bar won't hurt I hear stuff like this. I could have my rear struts blow and the dealer would probably deny warranty work and blame it on a intake...They immediately try and point fingers at you whenever something goes wrong.

Are you on extended warranty? Some dealers are crapshoots sucks that you have to pay for that poop.

I like how they say you drove it hard because you have an exhaust they can't really prove that....
Old 01-19-2008, 08:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I recently had bad experience at my local dealership Hayward Toyota/Scion, they too are just as bad in customer service and respect for customers.

How many miles do u have on your tC? You mentioned that you have warranty still so im guessing under 36k miles?

Thats way too early for a clutch to go out.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought longo was like the best dealer lol
Old 01-19-2008, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by O5_TRD_tC
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I recently had bad experience at my local dealership Hayward Toyota/Scion, they too are just as bad in customer service and respect for customers.

How many miles do u have on your tC? You mentioned that you have warranty still so im guessing under 36k miles?

Thats way too early for a clutch to go out.

I have 57,000 miles.

But the thing is that i dont think that it was just a worn out clutch. Because i didnt feel my clutch slipping at all. Neither did the dealer. But they said it had something to do with my clutch system and that warranty will not cover it.

Longo forman thought it could be a spring in the clutch system which popped out. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is yet. I am going to get in touch with Norwalk Scion today and find out EXACTLY what the problem is so that i can get other estimates from local mechanic shops.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BlizZard
I thought longo was like the best dealer lol
Thats exactly what i thought too. Thats why i kept going there for my transmission / clutch issues. But it turns out they are full of BS. From the customer service advisor, to the mechanics, to the shop forman, to the managers, and even the Reps from Toyota who work there. I'm very dissapointed with that dealership.

On a side note.

Do you think 1,000 is a resonable price for replacing my clutch? Just want to get some opinions before i get other estimates from local shops.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1g for a clutch replacemnt? cmon now, get a AM clutch and have either them install it if your lucky, or go to a tuner shop and save some $$
Old 01-19-2008, 07:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VoLktc
1g for a clutch replacemnt? cmon now, get a AM clutch and have either them install it if your lucky, or go to a tuner shop and save some $$
I was going to do that. But since there's a chance the problem might be from the tranny and not the clutch itself. I am going to have the dealer do all the work. Because if the problem is from the tranny i might save alot of $$$
Old 01-19-2008, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Or stay a million miles from a "tuner" shop and find a good private mechanic. I know not all tuner shops are bad, but probably 90% of them are run by kids that read too many tuner rags. You have to be VERY careful these days with those shops since they pop up everywhere and can be run by just about anyone. Search around for a good mechanic with real world experience (ignore anything about ASE since it does not in any way gaurantee the person actually knows what they are doing) that people you know trust and use them. You will save money and get better service most of the time that way.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
Or stay a million miles from a "tuner" shop and find a good private mechanic. I know not all tuner shops are bad, but probably 90% of them are run by kids that read too many tuner rags. You have to be VERY careful these days with those shops since they pop up everywhere and can be run by just about anyone. Search around for a good mechanic with real world experience (ignore anything about ASE since it does not in any way gaurantee the person actually knows what they are doing) that people you know trust and use them. You will save money and get better service most of the time that way.
You make a very good point. The same goes with a lot of mechanic shops. Not so much that their run by little kids but its hard to know who you can trust.

In any case, i've decided to let the dealer do any work necessary on my car. Hopefully whatever it may be warranty will cover it. If not, then at least i know my car is in good hands. Plus, i've already talked to the service manager at Norwalk Scion and he says he can do some sort of discount if necessary.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whats up greg, its Jaytee

Does the 1,150 include a new clutch or just labor?
Old 01-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Banned
SL Member

get a stage 1 clutch from dezod and have the dealer install it...
Old 01-20-2008, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NVMyTc
Whats up greg, its Jaytee

Does the 1,150 include a new clutch or just labor?
Whats up Jaytee...

I'm sure it includes the clutch as well. I haven't really asked though, i will do that on Monday.

I'm not gonna know for sure what the problem is untill Monday or Tuesday when they take apart my car. The guy said the problem might even be the tranny in which case warranty will cover it.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have some clunking noise from the clutch too...
but for many months no.. and yet no other problem..i can even hear it without shifting.. just being in secong ger and press/depressing my clutch and i can hear the noise.. its like... something is not tightened up correctly down there.. or something:D
Old 01-20-2008, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

btw i talked to someone from hollywood scion and they told me about this ting... this :" you loose your warranty if you modify your car"

well.. yess.. if you get fidanza flywheel and install it then that thing go wrong after 1 month toyota will not fix it for you under warranty.. but if you have cai... exhaust, new wheels and your brakes are fukkd then they have to fix it because your mods are not related to the brakes..
Old 01-21-2008, 08:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences.

CSOCSO - Look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm