Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Better throttle response..voltage stabilizer the answer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 04:26 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Better throttle response..voltage stabilizer the answer?

Hey guys I tried searching for almost an hour but most of the results I got were xA and xB only. I'm looking to improve throttle response and reduce the lag from the TCs drive by wire system. I know theres a dyi to adjust the accel. pedal by putting a rubber pad or something on it but I'd rather try and solve the issue electronically. Has anyone tried this voltage stabilizer from SunAuto? I heard good things about it on the mazda3 forums when I was an owner.

http://store.racinglab.com/hypervmr-251.html

The kit is custom made to fit the TC but it's a bit pricey. Is anyone out there running voltage stabilizers with or w/o ground kits? Please let me know how you reduced your dbw lag.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think this is the answer.

Most power-increasing modifications will boost your throttle response as well. The best one is probably a larger throttle body, as it allows more air instantly.

Next would be pulleys or flywheel, as it reduces the intertia of the motor. The engine has to speed itself up first, then supply the accessories, and only THEN does power start going to the wheels. After that, exhaust mods will also help nicely.

A cold air intake may slightly lower throttle response due to the reduction of filtered air (airbox) available immediately for use before having to pull air into the induction system.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i've never heard of a cold air intake reducing throttle response...but thats just me

basically what he's saying is correct though...aside from my arguement with ^

the voltage stabilizers are ok...the do allow the car to become electrically neutral with itself much faster....what that does, no one really knows
Old 07-29-2006, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The electrical system is designed for the fluctuation in encounters. Everything is regulated within the ECU in its power supply circuitry. Same for any well designed electronics module. Voltage stabilizers, ground wire kits, etc... will do NOTHING for this car.

The delay is part of the programming and component response in the system.

To increase rev response outside of the delay, you need to decrease rotational mass. The other power mods will help, but this is the most direct response. And all other arguments about it aside, the only method I reccomend to reduce mass (other than a custom valve train or lightened internals) is to go for a lightweigh flywheel. You will lose some on the launch, but will end up with a faster revving engine.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Interesting idea, sounds a bit like a ground wire "box" Like others have said, I'm not too certain this would do very much for our cars. Your best bets to increase throttle response would be pulleys, a flywheel, and a bored out throttle body.
Old 07-30-2006, 05:13 AM
5 Year Member

SL Member

Some people say that cai's reduce throttle response because of the extra distance the air must travel through the piping compared to short rams or the stock airbox.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To increase throttle response you need to decrease rotational mass like engifineer said. There is no other way to do so. Also the stock drive by wire is extremely responsive as I have a vacuum gauge on my car and the throttle moves the gauge almost instantly. The heavy flywheel/other stuff are what really bring down the throttle response.