Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Blue smoke...help

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Blue smoke...help

My tc has been giving me extreme trouble since my last oil change, which was about a month ago and it was done at firestone. For starters the car feels like its running on 3 cylinders, its burning a ridiculous amount of oil, my gas mileage is horrible. When i pull off, the exhaust just pours out blue smoke, and also when i have the clutch engaged theres a rattling sound and the idle drops to almost a stall..

My car was running a little sluggish before, but nothing like the way it is now since i got that oil change..could it have been something firestone did wrong?

Im about 200 miles away from 100k and ive started maintenence, spark plugs, new filters, tranmission fluid change etc..but i have 2 CEL's that read p0012 and p0011..I've done my research on here but i need a direct solution, any ideas guys??
Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Don't expect a direct diagnosis from behind a computer screen unless someone has had this happen to them before. If you Google those codes, they have to do with timing. One is for timing being over-advanced and the other over-retarded.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0011
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0012

The symptoms are right on par with what you're describing.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Jon
Don't expect a direct diagnosis from behind a computer screen unless someone has had this happen to them before. If you Google those codes, they have to do with timing. One is for timing being over-advanced and the other over-retarded.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0011
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0012

The symptoms are right on par with what you're describing.

That was the purpose of this post to see if it has happened to someone before. I'd rather go to the dealership or wherever knowing exactly what's wrong with it so i can tell them exactly what needs to be fixed, and not have them charge me an arm and a leg for unecessary things.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:45 AM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Without having the car in front of us, there's no exact way to know considering those codes have more than one cause listed. It could truly be timing, or it could be a wiring or sensor issue. There are tools for checking timing, but of course one would need the car to do so.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Id start with clearing the codes and then seeing if you get the same ones again. Find it strange that your getting too much timing and too little timing together.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by STlTCHES
Id start with clearing the codes and then seeing if you get the same ones again. Find it strange that your getting too much timing and too little timing together.

dont quote me on this but with the blue smoke at idle and the 2 codes I bet your getting "Continuous oil flow to VCT piston chamber" which came oem 07+
Old 08-16-2012, 01:32 AM

burning oil probably coming from piston rings
Old 08-17-2012, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont quote me on this but with the blue smoke at idle and the 2 codes I bet your getting "Continuous oil flow to VCT piston chamber" which came oem 07+
I took to it to a mechanic today and yes this is exactly what it is. The piston rings are stacking and this allows oil to get past them which is what is causing the blue smoke. He said i would need a new engine, if this is the case ill just see if i can get a new car..
Old 08-17-2012, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I cleared the codes and now im only getting p0012 but now im also getting a misfire in one of my cylinders. I think the continuous oil flow is fouling my plugs..
Old 08-18-2012, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

See if you can get a junkyard/used motor and sell yours for parts
Old 08-18-2012, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dhooks90
]firestone

Problem number one.

Chances are they didn't do anything to it. Then again, how will you ever know.

I've worked on top of 200F degree asphalt in the dead of summer in the middle of parking lots just to avoid grease monkey shops like that. The piece of mind you get is priceless. Never know what some inbred with no high-school diploma is doing to your car behind that counter.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PRODIGY3000
Problem number one.

Chances are they didn't do anything to it. Then again, how will you ever know.

I've worked on top of 200F degree asphalt in the dead of summer in the middle of parking lots just to avoid grease monkey shops like that. The piece of mind you get is priceless. Never know what some inbred with no high-school diploma is doing to your car behind that counter.
Very true. Now because of this ill have to get a new car, wont be going to them anymore.