Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Car dying and then when cranking, makes a loud pop in the exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:40 PM

Default Car dying and then when cranking, makes a loud pop in the exhaust.

Could it be bad gas? Coils turning off from heat? Car only dies when it's spring/summer/fall. Winter it only died once.

Car would suddenly die, (It's died randomly before but would start right up again.) and not start up again till I cranked it a few times. first time it did this about 2 weeks ago in my dad's driveway it would crank and crank untill suddenly when I stopped cranking it I heard a loud boom from my exhaust. (good thing I had a muffler on.) It sounded like a gun shot cause it was so loud. This is the third time it has happened since 2 weeks ago and I don't know if it's bad gas or the car. My father game me 30$ for gas on friday to go look at a new 2014 scion
tc.
But, he put in Sams club gas. I usually put in Circle K, QT, or chevron gas. 91 was used every time.

Video:
Old 04-14-2014, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mods? since you have gauges, I assume you are F/I (supercharger or turbo). The gunshot sound is likely unburnt gas or fumes in the exhaust that detonate. It's common especially with exhaust leaks. As for the no start, what are the other symptoms? Any CEL? What EMS?
Old 04-14-2014, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by That_Kid_Ju
Mods? since you have gauges, I assume you are F/I (supercharger or turbo). The gunshot sound is likely unburnt gas or fumes in the exhaust that detonate. It's common especially with exhaust leaks. As for the no start, what are the other symptoms? Any CEL? What EMS?
It only backfires when it doesn't start like this. except for sometimes when i let off the gas, I get a small pop. No CEL at all, EMS? is that a piggy back? I use an AEM F/IC for that.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

EMS (Engine Management System). I recently had the same problem. I assume that your harness has the resistor mod (either boomslang or hard wired). Try reflashing the firmware on the FIC. That's been working for me. If you don't have the resistor mod, do it.