Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Clutch Chatter.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 04:25 PM

Default Clutch Chatter.

Got a 06 tC with 150k. The clutch is 2 years old. All oem parts. The flywheel was replaced too. I get some clutch chatter when taking off in first. The chatter is much worse and continuous if I’m going up an incline like my driveway or uphill. It’s always first gear only as I take off. The excessive movement makes me feel that a motor or transmission mount is really what’s causing the clutch to chatter. These are all original mounts. My question is this; which mount is likely to be the cause of this and how do I get access to inspect the blown mount?
Old 10-09-2023, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

On my Mazda the clutch was super chattery, turned out that it was caused by a warped flywheel. Without driving the car though, this could be many different things.
Old 10-09-2023, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by drizzoh
On my Mazda the clutch was super chattery, turned out that it was caused by a warped flywheel. Without driving the car though, this could be many different things.

yeah I would have definitely blamed it solely on the flywheel normally but the flywheel is brand new and a Toyota master tech did the job. When I first picked up the car after the clutch job the chatter was minimal. It has progressively gotten worse. The passenger side mount is pretty noisy(chirping). I bet the transmission mount contribute the most to keep things still. I realize all 4 mounts are probably gone. It looks like a nightmare job.
Old 10-09-2023, 06:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you know you have existing issues, my thought process is to fix those before looking for new ones. New mounts could very well help remedy the clutch issue.

Also IMO OEM is the only way to go for mounts.
Old 10-09-2023, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by drizzoh
If you know you have existing issues, my thought process is to fix those before looking for new ones. New mounts could very well help remedy the clutch issue.

Also IMO OEM is the only way to go for mounts.

I think you’re right, that really helped to hear that from you. Oem on the mount. Got it 👍🏼