Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Clutch *clunk* noise when shifting abruptly

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 08:02 PM

Default Clutch *clunk* noise when shifting abruptly

I've always wanted an xB, and I just got myself a 2004 with 155k! It does, however, have an issue with the clutch. (Or at least it seems like the clutch.) When I release the clutch pedal nice and easy, like I usually do, everything's fine. But when I release it a little more abruptly than normal I can hear and feel a distinct *clunk*, and sometimes two or three clunks, not loud but very noticable. It happens when shifting between all gears. It sounds and feels like something is kinda loose and banging into something else, not just the grabbing/jerking I'm used to from an abrupt clutch drop. The clutch doesn't seem to slip at all, and the car drives fine other than this. I haven't noticed any grinding, whining, or other weird noises. I've driven lots of stick-shift cars, including an Echo, and have never had a clutch do this to me.

The previous owner said the clutch was just replaced (and maybe it was, but who really knows). Was this hypothetical installation done poorly? Is there an adjustment I can make? Do I need a new clutch? New motor mounts? Something else? I really wanted an xB and I didn't pay too much, so I'm fine with putting some work/money into it, but I'd like to know what I'm up against. I've searched and didn't really find anything about this specific problem. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 05-24-2018, 08:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have a check on the Motor mounts for torn/broken elements.
You can also have the hood up, handbrake on, start the car put it in first and slowly let the clutch out to see how far the engine moves. It will rotate a bit.

Perhaps it wasn't rebuilt properly. Not sure how they get to the clutch
Old 05-25-2018, 01:16 PM

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try that test you mentioned.

Unfortunately, everything I've read about how to get to the clutch involves basically removing the transmission.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:48 PM

Yep, it was the rear motor mount. Pretty cheap to fix, and the problem is GONE. No weird noises, and the clutch has a nice solid feel it didn't have before.