Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

DIY: Tenzo R Cold Air Intake installation guide 07+ tC

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 05:15 PM
SL Member

=) have you tried bringing it in and getting the code to see what's causing it?
Old 09-26-2008, 06:09 PM

No as i dont want the dealer to try and funny stuff over a simple CAI . Thats why i put the stock airbox back on.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:40 AM
SL Member

The intake is good in performance but my damn CEL light keeps coming on again. I've even taken it ro the dealership to get an aftermarket mass air flow sensor & still the light comes on. What a waste of $175 down the drain. I just don't know what to do. Someone please make this damn CEL come off.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I love the color of that intake..sucks about the fitment issue thought :/ my injen is scratched to hell cause when my friend and i were installing it we just shoved it through the hole (no pun intended).
Old 11-11-2008, 06:17 PM

I dont think anyone on this forum knows how to get the CEL light to go off... or it would have been told how to by now...

I ended up taking my intake off as my GF couldnt stand the CEL light in her face constantly. And there is deffinatly a performance loss from running the stock intake. But I do believe its is mainly because of the small restriction that the stock intake tube goes down to after the filter box. I have yet to try and remove that and see how the car feels and if the CEL light comes on with that tube off the car.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How much did you pay for it? Maybe sell it and get an Injen? The piping is the same size and i've had no CEL issues and don't think i've really ever heard of any with it either
Old 11-11-2008, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

a friend won one at a show and the CAI pipe was difficult to install because she didn't want a scratch on it so i took off the wheel and fender liner and nothing so i left it as a short-ram and it has been running good without a CEL for over a month and noticed the car feel abit better than before which is good.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:53 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any more updates on this intake? Is the CEL going to be the same issue that Fujita has with there's that every time it rains the damn light comes on?

I'm looking at getting one for my 06 but not sure yet.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:41 AM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone know if this is a dryflow filter like AEM, or is it one that needs to be oiled?
Old 12-18-2008, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just bought the Tenzo R CAI for 07 and im having the same problem with the cel. i had an injen intake and had no problem dont ask why i took it off. In a similar topic someone said they had a small hole or gap at the TB to intake coupler. they said that fixed their problem but i dont think thats the case for all. My tC throws cel at 60miles and just the last one at 144.4miles i had they fujita awhile back as well and had this same issue i just gave up on that one and sold it. Someone posted in a similar topic that they grinded down the base of the intake where the MAF sensor sits. On the Tenzo R the maf sits atop two posts that screw into the actual intake then you screw the Maf sensor screws on to those. i just looked at my sensor and it seems like it can go down a bit more even though it does look like its air tight. im gonna try grinding some of the base and/or the posts since no more damage can be done at this point. ill let everyone know the result.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^that's odd how alot of people get the CEL for the tenzoR and fujita intakes and yet i've installed alot even ebay intakes and none of my cars have gotten a CEL, they only get it when i put headers and they don't have an anti-fouler at the moment yet after they get a anti-fouler the CEL goes away so idk what all of you could be doing that isn't right.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its def the product, not the user. i have installed many intakes and like i said i had an injen cai for the tC and not one problem. if you can mess up an install on a cai you prob. shouldnt be doin mods. i measured many diff spots on the stock box and aftrmrkt, the maf sensor does sit about an 1/8" higher on the aftrmrkt....while checkin everything out i broke out the LED flashlight started looking around and noticed that when i shine the light down into the maf hole i could see the light through the holes where you have to put those brass colored posts in order to screw the sensor down. one of the holes i could see almost all the way down into the pipe. not sure if the holes would be airtight when everything is screwed in but im def. gonna seal that up tomorrow and grind down the posts to the correct size.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:12 AM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^That is most likely your problem right there. As soon as the ECM picks up ANY amount of unmetered air, it'll throw a code for the MAF sensor. My intake should be in tomorrow and I already received my AEM dryflow filter to slap on it, rather than the Tenzo R filter it comes with.

Fujita had an issue with their intakes causing a CEL during heavy rain and I believe it was the type of filter they used....looks VERY similar to the Fujita filter (just different color). I'll let you all know how the install goes (I have an '06) and if anything comes up with the CEL or driveability concerns.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:12 AM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Installed mine on my 06 tonight and it took about 2 hours due to fitment issues. Same as mentioned though.....Support too short (but I have a Dr. I panel so there's no need for it anyways), and the normal secondary pipe through the fender. Just to be safe, I sealed the MAF sensor with RTV black silicone (VERY thin layer) just to prevent any air gaps. Also, I did not use the provided Tenzo R filter and purchased a 3" x 5" AEM dryflow instead.

So far, the scangauge I have has been registering some better numbers in the mpg range and definitely cooler temps in the IAT measurements. 68 miles so far tonight and no CEL. MUCH more audible tone than the K&N Typhoon intake I had as well.

***Side note.....As many with the Injen intakes, and since this has the same diameter piping, if you have the DC Sports Front strut bar as I do, you will have to put a small buffer cushion of some sort between them. I had some spare exhaust wrap and just made a nice little wrap. I will post pics tomorrow.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:16 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pictures installed:

Review on Clubsciontc.com:
http://clubsciontc.com/index.php?com...&page=1#344206
Old 12-21-2008, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think the scanguage was exaggerating..there is no way the intake got you that much power even at the crank.

Nice looking intake though..diggin the gun metal color
Old 12-21-2008, 10:02 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm confused by the readings as well and would like the reasoning for the jump to be explained. I know an intake will NEVER give you anywhere near that much more power, but what caused the "exaggeration" to happen and still occur?
Old 12-22-2008, 09:19 PM
5 Year Member

Default VERY GOOD

this was a great really it wasi have the same intake
Old 12-22-2008, 11:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i shaved down the little nubs the sensor screws into and cel was gone within half hour of driving. the next day it rained then back on, two days after the rain the cel is off again. im gonna upgrade the filter as everyone eles has. the filter that came with the tenzo was a pain to get on with that soft rubber
Old 12-23-2008, 12:07 AM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have driven about 250 miles so far and 2 days of rain with no CEL. I believe it also has to do with the small gap under the MAF sensor when it mounts to the pipe. I used black RTV silicone to seal it on (just use a razor later if you take it off) and it's an air-tight fit. It has to be one of those 2 spots (MAF or Filter) that are causing the CEL to come on for some.

Quick Reply: DIY: Tenzo R Cold Air Intake installation guide 07+ tC