Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Greddy E-Manage Ultimate and an N/A Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Chaos_Being
Any updates? This is an interesting thread, other than a few reports of N/A tunes with Camcons, this is the first time I've seen someone post up actual gains tuning a N/A with bolt ons engine and actually getting some decent gains. I have seen a lot of "don't do that" comments when people would ask about it though...

Oh trust me, there are gains for sure. The factory tune sucks beyond belief. It runs in the low 11's A/F ratio at WOT (at least my car did when I put an N/A motor back in from being boosted, different motor, not the same one that was turboed). I leaned it out to low 13's and it seems to be the sweet spot. I gauged it against my friends 07 tC with CAI. I have an 06 tC, since I'm waiting for my new turbo kit, I just have a full exhaust at the moment. We ran them side by side, and he would be neck and neck with me, and eventual pull about a fender at higher speeds.

That was with stock ECU only.

Put my E-Ultimate back on the car, leaned it out to 13's, and the difference was pretty drastic. I pulled a car to a car and a half on him after that.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

That's very interesting indeed. I'm curious as to what the OP said about some sort of trick and a "power" mode that his tuner utilized, because that sounds like more was done than simply leaning out the A/F. I always figured that the tC would benefit from a tune N/A, but the majority here said that there wasn't much to be gained. Of course, if you're depending on someone else to tune it for you (which I likely would be, I've never done any tuning,) then I guess the price vs. performance could be sort of bad...

On a related note, what is it about the Ultimate vs. the Blue that would make it better for tuning N/A? Hell, I'd be halfway tempted to get my car tuned by the same people as the OP, but New Hampshire is kinda far away PTuning is close though...
Old 07-11-2009, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

That's very interesting indeed. I'm curious as to what the OP said about some sort of trick and a "power" mode that his tuner utilized, because that sounds like more was done than simply leaning out the A/F. I always figured that the tC would benefit from a tune N/A, but the majority here said that there wasn't much to be gained. Of course, if you're depending on someone else to tune it for you (which I likely would be, I've never done any tuning,) then I guess the price vs. performance could be sort of bad...

On a related note, what is it about the Ultimate vs. the Blue that would make it better for tuning N/A? Hell, I'd be halfway tempted to get my car tuned by the same people as the OP, but New Hampshire is kinda far away PTuning is close though...

Couple of things...

1) PTuning = #1. Their 500+whp Time Attack tC runs the Emanage Ultimate.

2) There is nothing else special to do to tune the N/A'ed motor. As far as tuning it goes. There is no special little trick.

As for the Ultimate vs Blue, they are worlds apart. As for piggy back solutions for the tC go, the order is thus....Ultimate > F/IC > Blue. I don't just simply have the AFR leaned out, I also rev to 6500rpms now. Can't do that with any other piggy back available to us. Since I am building the car for Time Attack, it was crucial that I have the speed limiter removed, and the ability to increase my rev limiter. Other than the Ultimate, only other thing that can do that is a full Standalone. But Standalones won't pass emissions.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Cool, thanks for the info! I've seen you here for a while, so I know that you know what you're talking about Actually, since you mentioned emissions, will having an e-manage (or other piggyback) installed still allow you to pass emissions? (all they do is a scan and a gas cap check here in MD.) I'm not sure if that is a dumb question, but I've been wondering about that for a while.

Upgrading the suspension on my car is definitely next on my list (the stock struts are starting to go anyways, so I have a good excuse to do so.) Then I need to make a decision on what I want to do power-wise...either finish out the simple N/A stuff, pullies, and potentially a tune, or look for a good deal on a used turbo kit perhaps. It all depends on how much $$ I have down the road... My car is an auto though, and it's my DD, so either way I don't want to go too crazy with it...but it definitely needs more oomph.

I'm looking at your time attack thread, nice car btw
Old 07-11-2009, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Cool, thanks for the info! I've seen you here for a while, so I know that you know what you're talking about Actually, since you mentioned emissions, will having an e-manage (or other piggyback) installed still allow you to pass emissions? (all they do is a scan and a gas cap check here in MD.) I'm not sure if that is a dumb question, but I've been wondering about that for a while.

Upgrading the suspension on my car is definitely next on my list (the stock struts are starting to go anyways, so I have a good excuse to do so.) Then I need to make a decision on what I want to do power-wise...either finish out the simple N/A stuff, pullies, and potentially a tune, or look for a good deal on a used turbo kit perhaps. It all depends on how much $$ I have down the road... My car is an auto though, and it's my DD, so either way I don't want to go too crazy with it...but it definitely needs more oomph.

I'm looking at your time attack thread, nice car btw

Correct, you will be able to with a piggy back. They do not control the CEL parameters in the car, so they don't interfere with that. Standalones take over that system, and replace sensors...etc, since they control the whole engine.

They do scans and check the gas cap here in TN as well. I've been passing emissions WITH a turbo kit for the past 3 - 4 years.

PS...Thanks for the props...