Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

HotWires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member

Default HotWires?

I am alittle new to this performance stuff and I was just wondering if a hotwire kit is worth
it or is it just a waste of time and money? ALso, how hard are they to install?
Old 04-07-2005, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: HotWires?

Originally Posted by TCguy8
I am alittle new to this performance stuff and I was just wondering if a hotwire kit is worth
it or is it just a waste of time and money? ALso, how hard are they to install?
Exactly what product are you referring to? From the sounds of it, if you're referring to some sort of spark plug wire kit, then no, defenitely not, since there are no spark plug wires in the tC, lol. The 2AZ-FE uses direct coil over plug, so no resistance element like spark plug wires in the mix, and therefore, couldn't have upgraded spark plug wires.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hes talking about nology hotwires
Old 04-07-2005, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member

yeah, I guess i should have said Nology hotwires. Thanks volktc
Old 04-07-2005, 05:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VoLktc
hes talking about nology hotwires
Oh, I see. In which case, its my understanding that there is very little to be gained from such a product. It sounds nice, but after having someone explain the theory behind the system, and how our current setup works, it seems like a waste. It was oldman who explained it, over on Clubsciontc.com, so, I'll qoute his very informative posts regarding the subject.

I did not say it can't be done, I said I don't see how it can work. i.e. create a hotter longer duration spark, as nothing will deliver more watts then a direct coil (inductor) over plug. Obviously the Nology wire makes a capacitor out of traditional spark plug wire system: essentially making a power loss component (the wire) of a traditional spark system into a zero sum game, but did not and could not and does not ADD more energy then what originally flew out of the coil in the first place. Since the tC has a coil over plug and does away with the energy losing sparkplug wire, I don’t see how the Nology system can work . What you have shown is a system that introduces a loss component and then fixes the loss component by turning it into a capacitor. A zero sum game as no more energy is introduced into the system, nor is a loss component eliminated.

I clearly said IMO, and I don’t KNOW if this will or will not work. I will also add that I have run Nology wires for many many years and that in addition to confusion of OEM ECU, depending on the plug, the recommended silverstones / Beru plugs being the worst, the Nology wires will eat through spark plugs at a high rate. Not a problem on my turbo GS-R as I changed plugs (NGK Copper) ever 5,000 miles and re-gapped about ½ way through, it may not be a big problem on the iridium OEM plug, then again it may and changing iridium plugs every 5,000 miles for a few HP is going become a drag.

All in all I’d go for synthetic oil as the best free HP per buck mod.

Just because this is a new car, does it mean that we need to um, snake oil to be tried and refuted on each and every product? The tC has the best engineered spark system that technology can derive, IMO it can’t be improved upon using a conventional 12V primary system. PERIOD. Now if car makers go to 24V then the exact same setup as the stock tC will still be optimal, just work better.
stock tC system already is optimal, no distributer, no spark plug wires, iridium plugs, Toyota Engineering, one coil per plug. No hyper ground wire, Nology wires where there are NONE, MSD etc is going to make an real power, a few HP and that is pushing it.
there has been a push for a while to goto 24V, not only driven by hybrid tech. My first car was 6 volts... so you get the idea. I just saw (off topic) the BMW 3 series will have a magnesium block!, to IMO some time in the next 5 years we will see 24V systems and then 10 to 15 years down the road your kids will be saying gee dad 12Volts how did you see with 12V headlights? How did you ever get a good sounding stereo? My Alpine is the first that I know of with 18V? Internal to the unit and can really get 240 W out. Runs hot. Lots of magic will happen with 24V base cars, from 110 V car power, to stronger spark, thinner wire, better sound systems, miniature starters and alternators.

The tC has 4 coils, meaning it has 4x the recharge level as a GS-R Integra, it has NO sparkpulg wire so the resistance in the system is all at the sparkplug. Because the valve cover incases the coil lead a lot higher current can be dropped to the plug without EMF. This stock OEM design will deliver far far far far far far far more power to the plug then a full hot rod, external coil, Nology wire, ignition amplifier (or other forms of boosting the base voltage), non-resistor copper plug, hyper ground strap, GS-R AND with no spark scatter, no induction to parallel wires, no EMF, no mechanical complication of a maxed out GS-R Ignition setup. The tC is an OPTIMAL design. Sure if this was a race car, individual coils firing copper plugs sans resistors, change ever few runs through solid core wire fired by a amplifier will deliver a better more consistent spark. For something sub 350 WHP, um I’d look into 5000 mile copper plugs NGK non-resistor gapped to .32 and call it mint. I’m sure tight wound coils (all the rot like higher copper content, oil filled, sinter iron core,, blah blah) for $200.00 will be made for the car, I’m not sure it is needed. Toyota really does know their stuff. ..

I will also note many race systems can’t take hours of spark without overheating, many are designed to work for a few minutes at a time. Many or all cook components that are meant to be tossed ever season or in some cases ever ¼ mile. The find their way onto customer cars, doomed to fry on the next road trip.

I’m teething at the bit too, all this waiting just today a 5.0 beater was giving me the lets have a throw down rev through several stop lights, um I figure he’s a low 15 second car, I don’t feel like making his day. If I was packing a supercharger, well that is as they say another story. I gotta grin and bare it keeping my powder dry for the real parts.

Buy an exhaust we all know it will work with a turbo or supercharger.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

^^^^^agree
Old 04-07-2005, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks, That answered my question and then some.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ can you summarize that for me.
Old 04-07-2005, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by reagulator
^^^ can you summarize that for me.
lol... I can try.

From what I can gather, the just of it is that the Nology conversion kit tries to solve the problem of spark plug wires being a power loss element in a typical ignition system. As Oldman put it, they try to turn the wires "into a zero sum game" by making them a capacitor. Basically, trying to fix a problem that isn't there in our system in the first place, since we have a direct coil over plug setup. Since the system does not add more energy into the equation, nor does it eliminate a power loss component, the sparks will not be any longer in duration nor any stronger. Anyone w/ a better understanding of this, please correct me in any areas that I’m wrong.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
StyleWagons
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Further summary- BOGUS JUNK SCIENCE>