Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Installed Ingalls Torque Damper

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 11:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I finally installed my Ingalls Damper today on my 2005 Auto TC after some planning and painting. I decided to ditch my Tanabe Strut Bar rather than dealing with clearance issues, uneven mounting, lack of bolt threading, and honestly it always seemed to be in the way. I also never really felt an improvement in handling with it, so I decided to make room for truly Positive upgrades.

As for the Damper, I custom painted the brackets with High-Temp Black paint & thin layers of spray-on rubberized coating. I also went out and got those cloth reinforced tank bolt washers, Blue Thread-locker, and installed some layers of Dynamat Xtreme under the strut tower bracket.

Overall, the install went smoothly after removing the strut bar and applying the Dynamat. I opted to bypass using the supplied washers on the strut tower bolts as well as the rubber o-rings by using the Dynamat & Cloth Reinforced tank bolt washers. For now the damper is set to its factory 14mm setting which I may adjust after some testing and break-in period.

On startup and while in Park, the damper is almost unnoticed although if you look at it up close it is already balancing engine movement. In Reverse, I noticed minor vibration/noise while accelerating. In my short test run, I observed little to no vibration/internal noise at cruising speed, only becoming slightly more noticeable on stop and start turning. During fairly hard acceleration the damper makes itself known with smoother gear shifts and pull. The braking & cornering also seem to be improved due to less engine sway. So far I am happy with the Ingalls “Stiffy” Engine Damper and will be testing it out on the highway tomorrow. I will update my findings ASAP. Below are some pictures pre & post install.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AZURETCTONY
Well, I finally installed my Ingalls Damper today on my 2005 Auto TC after some planning and painting. I decided to ditch my Tanabe Strut Bar rather than dealing with clearance issues, uneven mounting, lack of bolt threading, and honestly it always seemed to be in the way. I also never really felt an improvement in handling with it, so I decided to make room for truly Positive upgrades.

As for the Damper, I custom painted the brackets with High-Temp Black paint & thin layers of spray-on rubberized coating. I also went out and got those cloth reinforced tank bolt washers, Blue Thread-locker, and installed some layers of Dynamat Xtreme under the strut tower bracket.

Overall, the install went smoothly after removing the strut bar and applying the Dynamat. I opted to bypass using the supplied washers on the strut tower bolts as well as the rubber o-rings by using the Dynamat & Cloth Reinforced tank bolt washers. For now the damper is set to its factory 14mm setting which I may adjust after some testing and break-in period.

On startup and while in Park, the damper is almost unnoticed although if you look at it up close it is already balancing engine movement. In Reverse, I noticed minor vibration/noise while accelerating. In my short test run, I observed little to no vibration/internal noise at cruising speed, only becoming slightly more noticeable on stop and start turning. During fairly hard acceleration the damper makes itself known with smoother gear shifts and pull. The braking & cornering also seem to be improved due to less engine sway. So far I am happy with the Ingalls “Stiffy” Engine Damper and will be testing it out on the highway tomorrow. I will update my findings ASAP. Below are some pictures pre & post install.

[imghttp://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/122000-122999/122100_182_full.jpg[/img]

[imghttp://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/122000-122999/122100_183_full.jpg[/img]

[imghttp://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/122000-122999/122100_185_full.jpg[/img]

Sweet - another member was asking about the performace on an automatic. This is good information.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good stuff. Probably pick one up soon. Where did you guys get yours at?
Old 05-09-2006, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got mine from CORSPORTUSA @ http://www.corsportusa.com for $150. Shipping is free!! Can't beat it.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DynomyteSW
Originally Posted by hunterUnknown
whether or not its feasible, i kind of wish they did both sides of the engine. but its good to hear it works!
if one damper isnt enough then you should get some stiff motor mounts... or solid mounts that would sure cure any motor movement you have lol
haha well i mean, to better distribute force. more evenly, because i just dont like the idea of all the pressure going through one point, on one side. that's all
Old 05-09-2006, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Shifts on the auto seemed more crisp when I had mine installed. Weird thing though was that in the mornings it wouldnt shift into overdrive for a while until it warmed up. I had mine on the stiffest setting and boy were the vibrations strong. I really liked it that way though, it felt kinda racey lol. There are a lot of metal works shops around here in Hobbs, New Mexico so I was thinking about just having a solid bar made to replace the shock so I can get the most stiffness possible.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coppermine18
Originally Posted by stl_tc_king
would the price/ advantage ratio be great enough to justify buying this if I have no engine mods (besides CAI)?
Well it helps to prevent wheel hop which could lead to more broken parts.

Just say 'no' to wheel hop.
Did the damper make accelerating over bumps smother?
Old 05-09-2006, 06:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Schuller
would the price/ advantage ratio be great enough to justify buying this if I have no engine mods (besides CAI)?

I haven't gone out and accelerated over bumps yet - usually only time I do that is on the autox course which I will be hittin' up on the 20th and 21st.

However I happen to have a reaaaalllly bumpy spot on the road by my house- so when I go to each lunch I'm gonna take a lil acceleration trip over it for ya.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Schuller

I haven't gone out and accelerated over bumps yet - usually only time I do that is on the autox course which I will be hittin' up on the 20th and 21st.

However I happen to have a reaaaalllly bumpy spot on the road by my house- so when I go to each lunch I'm gonna take a lil acceleration trip over it for ya.
Its a killer boosting over bumpy roads. I have a tube of 3M window weld I am going to use to fill in the engine mounts to help with engine sway. If that don't help I'll prolly get the stiffy. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

coppermine18, did you use the washers & o-rings that ingalls supplied or did you use the cloth reinforced washers everyone is talking about?
Old 05-09-2006, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member

i agree with the motor mounts....instead of buying something with clearance issues as far as tower braces are concerned (im taking this from this thread) go for all around stiffness with better mounts...
Old 05-09-2006, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DouBLeJ16
coppermine18, did you use the washers & o-rings that ingalls supplied or did you use the cloth reinforced washers everyone is talking about?
I used the supplied ones -
Old 05-09-2006, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just ordered one. I have an auto. Im going to the track after i install it. I will also be installing a NST Underdrive pulley. i ran a 15.6 last time. Ill post when i get results.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice times on that auto! About what I expected when I had all my mods. Saving up for boost now.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't really think this mod will improve track times on an auto.. You don't have any wheel hop to begin with.

The main reason to get this would be to downshift smoother and eliminate wheel hop.. 2 things that don't happen on an auto.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

we shall see. i think im gonna wait until turbonetics releases their kit for the automatic. What kit are you looking at XD40?
Old 05-13-2006, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well my ingalls just came in today. Going to the garage right now to install it. I know its late but i have to really see just how much of a difference i will feel with my tC being boosted.

I'll let you guys know.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

following
Old 05-14-2006, 12:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by BigPinoyTC
Well my ingalls just came in today. Going to the garage right now to install it. I know its late but i have to really see just how much of a difference i will feel with my tC being boosted.

I'll let you guys know.
Sweet - wanna know what it does boosted
Old 05-14-2006, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed this pulley about a week ago and I love it.. no more wheel hop at all. Not even on really hard launches..

You can definately hear it working (the engine sounds louder for some reason) but I barely have any vibration from the dash or the bracket. I can't even tell a difference at idle and mine is set at 11mm.

Quick Reply: Installed Ingalls Torque Damper