Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

More CEL problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 06:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default More CEL problems

Hey
Im having a bit of trouble. I recently put a cone filter and MAF adapter on my car instead of the stock airbox. I didnt bother to take out the bottom of the box where the paper filter would sit, I figured since the cone filter sits on it perfectly no problem. I reset the ecu by unplugging the battery and it was fine for about 1 hour. After that though the CEL light came right the heck back on. After I have been driving the air filter is pretty warm. Im thinking that maybe since the stock airbox bottom is still on its pulling in cold air as well as hot air and its confusing the MAF. Is this even a realistic assumption? The car is a 2005 Scion tC if it makes any difference
Old 12-13-2005, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Scion Evolution

so ur tellin me that the cone filter is sitting inside of the bottom half of the stock air box...

reset it again. drive it slowly. easy on the gas. push little more, than a little more.idle. turn off turn on
drive normal
if problem still exist
go back to stock. if problem still exist. then u got something up
Old 12-13-2005, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: More CEL problems

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Hey
Im having a bit of trouble. I recently put a cone filter and MAF adapter on my car instead of the stock airbox. I didnt bother to take out the bottom of the box where the paper filter would sit, I figured since the cone filter sits on it perfectly no problem. I reset the ecu by unplugging the battery and it was fine for about 1 hour. After that though the CEL light came right the heck back on. After I have been driving the air filter is pretty warm. Im thinking that maybe since the stock airbox bottom is still on its pulling in cold air as well as hot air and its confusing the MAF. Is this even a realistic assumption? The car is a 2005 Scion tC if it makes any difference
What MAF adapter did you use? Those things are fragile as heck and damage to them is easy to do.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member

what CEL are you throwing?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

A lean mixture in bank 1. I brought it to toyota (w/ the stock intake back on) and they ended up replacing the maf. Oh well ill proably buy that knn that the guy is selling for 60