Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

tC MAF & Other sensor questions or issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Default tC MAF & Other sensor questions or issues

In response to a number of pm's I've received on doing this swap myself, I thought it would be beneficial to others looking for answers to this issue.
I will post pics of what I'm referring to here for the MAF swap as soon as I can.
I do want to note that this is only for those that already have an 05-06 CAI (specifically Injen Technology brand). And want to install it into a 2007+ model year tC. If you don't already have one....buy the right one. I know it goes without saying..but you'd be suprised.

There are 4 sets of wires in the plug in the harness for the MAF. When I post pics it will make more sense. Unfortunately the color coding between the model years changed.... The only place you can get the wires to do this is through Toyota/Scion dealers.... Once I get some pics & a diagram up here... I can show the location of each of the wires and where they go on the new sensor.
What you will need is an 05-06 tC MAF sensor in good condition. I would check out good late model used/salvage part places. If you get one new from a dealer... well you might as well just sell the CAI and buy the right one for your year of tC b/c MAF sensors new are not cheap.
I also have to note that while this swap is not the biggest thing on the rocket science plate... if you dont have a lot of wiring experience... fork over a couple bucks to your Scion dealer to have them do it... b/c if it's not done exactly right it WILL short out the sensor and fry it.

with that dislcaimer out of the way...lol... I'll get this thread off and going as soon as I can take pics to help explain the process of this swap. Hopefully I'll be able to get some good pics either Sat or Sun....then everything I said above will start to make sense.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:23 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

This is the finalized conversion on my 08 tC with an 06 Injen Technology CAI.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Sweet. Watching
Old 03-07-2009, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mouse

This is the finalized conversion on my 08 tC with an 06 Injen Technology CAI.
Are the sensor values any different for MAF or IAT from the 05-06 vs 07-up? How many miles do you have on the car since this was done? Any CEL's yet? How often do you drive on the highway vs city and at what speeds? I am asking this so others will know before doing this mod to make sure its a CEL free mod if it has to be done. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:06 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

^^ BlackKnight.... I have had zero issues since the swap. The sensor between the model years functions exactly the same..so the values are the same to the ecu. The only difference is that Toyota decided to change the diameter of the opening the part fits into...and change the end connecting plug. This is a completely CEL free mod/swap. This is only for those that have an 06 tC CAI (specifically Injen Technology) other CAI's may follow the same spec's but can not speak on those brands since I havent done one for them.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:14 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

today got to busy... so hopefully Sunday I'll be able to put pics up for the pin locations and swap config.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:41 PM
SL Member

so what did you do ?
Old 03-08-2009, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome this is just the thread I needed!! Thanks alot Mouse looking forward to the updates!!