Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Unichip now available for the 2007 and 2008 scion tc

Old 06-09-2009, 07:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey thanks man! I had a feeling that that's what it was but I wasn't sure..awesome article to! thanks for the link!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey guys here are some more reviews of the Unichip up on there website of the product, also I would like to tell you that if anyone has any questions call Marinus at Unichip and he will be glad to answer them.

http://www.unichip.us/vehicle/vehicles/3269

Thanks
Old 06-10-2009, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm great reviews posted on a web site run by the people trying to sell you somthing. You know those must be true. I also looked for consumer reviews on the interweb and found nothing but nutral to negative. Some people found it did nothing or lost power. This guy was issued a refund and others saw a small gain but felt it was not woth the money. The bottom line is the dyno is shady along with the reviews and until they are willing to prove their results no is going to buy this thing. In my experience they only way your are going to get people to fork over that kind of money for a product with no shred of proof is to start a religion not a business. / End thread
Old 06-10-2009, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Kizale
hmm great reviews posted on a web site run by the people trying to sell you somthing. You know those must be true. I also looked for consumer reviews on the interweb and found nothing but nutral to negative. Some people found it did nothing or lost power. This guy was issued a refund and others saw a small gain but felt it was not woth the money. The bottom line is the dyno is shady along with the reviews and until they are willing to prove their results no is going to buy this thing. In my experience they only way your are going to get people to fork over that kind of money for a product with no shred of proof is to start a religion not a business. / End thread
I understand your point, but as far as engine management systems go, unichip hands down beats any others for the money. I'm mean for $450 you get a lot more then the others can give for that price. And I'm not saying the AEM, Greedy and others are bad systems because I know there not, but for the money it really is hard to beat unichip.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I need to help out by summarizing and clarifying a little bit.

The whole point of a dyno is to demonstrate a change. Run a baseline, then make your change, then run it again. While things like "which gear," octane, temperature, humidity, elevation, etc. all WILL impact the numbers... it's assumed that they would impact both the baseline and the final numbers equally.

If one stock tC shows up to dyno day... and another tC with a single modification also shows up... could we say that one's a baseline, and the other's the final? Absolutely not. Again, individual cars may make 1-2 more hp than others anyway (sometimes in oil change status ALONE)... not that it really matters when pulling a 3000lb car.

Bench racing two cars across the country is scientifically unsound, as well as just plain stupid.
-----------------------------------------------

Now... for the unichip to be a viable option it must prove it's worth. I'm fairly sure that a company which took its time in extensive R&D to make the "best product out there," wouldn't mind taking a few hours to bring in a tC, install the "super easy plug-n-play port," and do a proper before/after dyno.

Things that would qualify as proper displaying of results-

Video of dyno run.
Raw data of a dyno chart with extensive pictures of the setup.
A great reduction in smoothing.
Displaying numbers showing actual wheel HP, not estimated crank.
How about a timing graph?
How about an AFR throughout the run?
etc. etc.

Lots of bogus tuning companies just draw up graphs on excel to make something look good. Not that Unichip is bogus... they've been around a very long time... but if they cannot be "bothered" to come out and display proper proof of performance, then they run the risk of losing business.

---

In addition, I realize that Iowa is a regular member just like everyone else... but considering you're pushing this product HARD, and defending every single post from every angle... it almost looks like spam.

I'm not accusing.. just pointing it out. Low post counts starting threads pushing a product are just inherently fishy.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by senseiturtle
I think I need to help out by summarizing and clarifying a little bit.

The whole point of a dyno is to demonstrate a change. Run a baseline, then make your change, then run it again. While things like "which gear," octane, temperature, humidity, elevation, etc. all WILL impact the numbers... it's assumed that they would impact both the baseline and the final numbers equally.

If one stock tC shows up to dyno day... and another tC with a single modification also shows up... could we say that one's a baseline, and the other's the final? Absolutely not. Again, individual cars may make 1-2 more hp than others anyway (sometimes in oil change status ALONE)... not that it really matters when pulling a 3000lb car.

Bench racing two cars across the country is scientifically unsound, as well as just plain stupid.
-----------------------------------------------

Now... for the unichip to be a viable option it must prove it's worth. I'm fairly sure that a company which took its time in extensive R&D to make the "best product out there," wouldn't mind taking a few hours to bring in a tC, install the "super easy plug-n-play port," and do a proper before/after dyno.

Things that would qualify as proper displaying of results-

Video of dyno run.
Raw data of a dyno chart with extensive pictures of the setup.
A great reduction in smoothing.
Displaying numbers showing actual wheel HP, not estimated crank.
How about a timing graph?
How about an AFR throughout the run?
etc. etc.

Lots of bogus tuning companies just draw up graphs on excel to make something look good. Not that Unichip is bogus... they've been around a very long time... but if they cannot be "bothered" to come out and display proper proof of performance, then they run the risk of losing business.

---

In addition, I realize that Iowa is a regular member just like everyone else... but considering you're pushing this product HARD, and defending every single post from every angle... it almost looks like spam.

I'm not accusing.. just pointing it out. Low post counts starting threads pushing a product are just inherently fishy.
I was just trying to help clear some things up for some people, for instance I put my dyno up on one of these thread with the unichip on it so people could see that the product was legit way to tune and increase hp and tq. If I was spaming I would be sending mass emails out to everyone, but I understand your point.

Thanks

thanks
Old 06-12-2009, 09:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Iowa_TC1
I was just trying to help clear some things up for some people, for instance I put my dyno up on one of these thread with the unichip on it so people could see that the product was legit way to tune and increase hp and tq.

Thanks
But the dyno you showed us is bogus and missing important parts for it to even be considered as any kind of proof. You already proved this point by making excuses as to why its a crappy sheet for showing us the unichip does anything at all.

Also if people only have bolt-ons like you, unichip is not worth the money one bit. Because it can only adjust ignition timing and injectors; unless you have nitro, turbo, or a serious NA setup with rebuilt internals, you are only going to gain a couple horse and be only a tenth faster in the quarter if you are lucky.

This isnt just for the unichip but other managment systems. The gains from tuning with only bolt ons really is not worth the investment.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:16 PM
SL Member

Fail, got my answer. unicrap, im good ill stick wit my bolt ons till i can pony up the change to get a turbo.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by silverclown
Fail, got my answer. unicrap, im good ill stick wit my bolt ons till i can pony up the change to get a turbo.
Unichip is not a bad nitrous management system at all, but others are right it is not going to give you a massive amount of horse power, but it will give you a descent gain and it is great for tuning your car, which really is something you should do any time you add anything. There is a pic of my dyno with the unchip were I have 173hp and 176 torque to the wheel with just strait bolt ons and the unichip. This is not a crazy big # or anything, but with bolt on and a tune its not bad.

A lot of people will say its crap, but if your serious about tuning your car to get the max out of what you have then it is a nice add on to purchase. But again that is just my opinion.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:42 AM

glad i read this thread, i was about to throw away $500 bucks lmaoo
Old 12-29-2009, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

if i were to buy a turbo what would i rather have running my car, Unichip, AEM, or E-Manage (tuner availability is not a problem)
Old 12-29-2009, 11:40 PM
SL Member

$700 for 20-30 whp??? add another $100 and u can buy my supercharger kit
Old 12-30-2009, 12:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

AEM Stand alone.... but thats just my opinion.... as for the unichip.. In the 14 years I have been tuning cars and as far back as I can remember.. Everyone I have known thats used it... either in person or on a forum has said pretty much the same thing...

"Yeah... it did a little something...... blah... if I knew then what I know now I would have saved my money."

Its kinda like an eBay part... it works well enough that you cant rip it apart... but not well enough to make it off the pages of ebay.....

Remember ... just because you can... does not mean that you should..
Old 12-30-2009, 09:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Threads like this really tick me off. You people have absolutely no clue what you're talking about. The unichip is one of the cheapest, and most powerful solutions we have available for our car. The plug and play kit is 500 bucks brand spanking new. Contrast that with the e-manage or FIC which both cost about 400 dollars brand new, and then 200 for the plug and play harnesses to make em work. Not only that, but then you have to go get a tune which costs about 100 dollars an hour. The unichip comes pretuned, according to your own mods and specifications with TWO switchable maps, which neither the emanage or the FIC can do. Secondly, the unichip is way more powerful than either of those option, neither the FIC nor the emanage can advance timing, which the Unichip can do, moreover the unichip can raise or lower rev limiter, which only the emanage ultimate can do, the FIC and the emanage blue cannot, typically only standalones can do that on our cars. It can also tune part throttle, which only the FIC is able to do, not the emanage.

The problems you guys are griping about, is the fact that in general a tune on a stock tc doesn't yeild much power. This isn't unichips fault, they offer a great product, that's a consequence of the car we own. The purpose of a unichip is to maximize the effectiveness of the modifications which you use, safely, and to that end it does its job perfectly and cheaply. Moreover, for the guys with boost or heavy modifications this thing is completely tunable, and can make big power due to its timing capabilities, and also increases fuel efficiency due to its ability to tune part throttle, which e-manage blue cannot, though the FIC can. You get a new mod, these guys let you send the thing in to get a new map loaded to better take advantage of your new part, and they only charge like 25 bucks I mean come on, who else even comes close.

In the forced induction thread a supercharged guy just added a unichip and got it tuned for his setup (NST 9.5 lb pulley, Weapon R supercharger intake, exhaust) and he yeilded around 30 whp, on TOP of the mods, safely. His tune is now available for all supercharged guys, so we no longer have to rely on the crummy TRD reflash, which fights pretty much all other piggybacks and makes them useless. The unichip was the only solution powerful enough to pwn the TRD reflash. Heres the thread https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174631.

Moreso than that, they offer their "Flux" product, which is so unbelievably cool. It turns your PDA or windows mobile phone into a wireless controller for the unichip, connecting via bluetooth and allowing you to switch between up to 5 custom maps. Moreover, it turns your phone into a freakin OBD2 scan tool, so you can pull and clear codes, had a virtual dyno, and monitors RPMS and all that engine info good stuff, tell me that ain't just ****?

Bottom line is this is an awesome, plug and play mod for our car which has fantastic potential. Don't go whining that it doesn't add 40 whp to your car when all you've got is an intake, that's ridiculous, no product will. If you don't wanna fork out 500 bucks for a piggyback, then just go home because you're not even in the game. This isn't something that everyone needs, it's only for the serious modder looking to maximize his mods power potential, safely, and keep the car running like stock.

I'm not affiliated with unichip in any way, but I just can't stand idly by watching morons bashing a great product, merely because they don't understand the correct way to use it.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 09TC5M
I, like someone stated previously, noticed that the run was performed in 3rd and not a 1:1 gear. This will affect the numbers. Also i suspect that the numbers are corrected to the crank hp. Dyno numbers from many stock 07+ tCs indicate that toyota should have rated the 2AZ at over 170 hp. I too would like to see some independent numbers before I would be serious about buying.

There are however, a few things to consider with regard to some of the arguments above. One is that a higher octane gasoline can be beneficial even on a 9.6 to 1 engine if timing advance is being employed. Most piggyback units cannot advance timing on our ecus, and i have not seen evidence of the unichip doing this. Heat can play a role, and my stock tC performs better in the low ranges with 89, when the ambient temps are above ~105 because it prevents some heat related pinging that would cause the ecu to pull timing.

Another thing is high atmospheric humidity. The greater the humidity, the less available oxygen there is in the atmosphere for combustion. As a result output will be lower. I dont think that you can tune for humidity since our engines do not employ forced induction and timing cant be advanced with available tuners. In Iowa there is probably little need for greater than 87 octane fuel since the OAT rarely exceeds 95 and the humid air will have a very slight cooling effect on the fuel charge.

BTW it CAN advance timing, unlike the other piggybacks available, as well as rev-limiter. This thing is like a miniature standalone. In that supercharged tc thread I posted, the guy even got a 2nd more conservative tune with 3 degrees less timing specifically because he lives in a place that gets hot in the summer, and his main tune adjusts A/F ratios and advanced his timing. I'm positive of this, I've even been in touch with the guy at unichip to ask around about it's capabilities.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheLowDown
if i were to buy a turbo what would i rather have running my car, Unichip, AEM, or E-Manage (tuner availability is not a problem)
If you don't have trouble finding a tuner, Unichip is infinitely more powerful than the others. Problem is, and I have found this to be true, there really are hardly any tuners for the unichip. This sucks if you have a really custom setup like turbo. The nearest tuner to me is like 3 hrs away which almost made me decide not to get a unichip at all until they recently began offering a preloaded tune for the supercharger w/ 9.5 lb pulley. I'll be buying as soon as I swap pulleys and intake. The ability to advance timing = power which the FIC cannot make, and the e-manage blue can't even dream about. The ultimate can however advance timing, but it's way pricier. Moreover, the part throttle tuning of the unichip takes away any other advantage the FIC has. Couple that with the fact that the unichip comes with plug & play harness, is cheaper than FIC + harness, has the ability to switch between maps w/out a laptop, and can modify rev limiter (can lower revs for a makeshift valet mode, or lower them to 0 for an engine immobilizer, as well as raise them if youve got some serious engine work) and I just can't justify getting any other piggyback.....ever.

I think they need to change the name on this thing, the name "unichip" has these lamens thinking this thing is like an ebay chip or something, when in reality it's essentially got many of the abilities of a standalone, with a piggybacks ease of install and price.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all this reading...unichip or not, I doubt many scion owners will fork out 500 bucks for something that doesn't make a loud sound.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Or that isn't lime green or orange. Agreed.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hear this is a good part and want to get one. I feel like it will do the job it is supposed to do and have to agree with FreeRadical. Besides, some people paid like 350 plus on an axle back exhaust and probably won't yield the hp gains the Unichip will give for an extra 150 bucks. If you want to modify your car, this is just another option and a good one at that (at least it seems)!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^hmm...isnt the purpose for the unichip to aid aftermarket mods? So the 350 dollar exhaust would be part of the reason for getting the chip.