Notices
Scion tC 1G Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

ZPIracing Stage 1 Short block

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2005, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Here is a better example. You could buy 2 jdm 2az engines, do pistons and a headgasket in them and come with with a spare block and still be under $3k !
Old 10-27-2005, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here's a better example.......

by the time you get everything, and money is spent, you could of had an Evo or STi, or imported a Skyline/Silvia
Old 10-27-2005, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The blocks are really not that expensive, we feel that we price point everything fairly. We buy these brand new from Scion and then disassemble them and reassemble them with upgraded parts.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Not sure what you consider expensive and mabey your budget is many moons above ours "and I make plenty of $$$" but for a block with just forged pistons, $3500 is.... very pricey "trying to keep my tone down haha" Heck that is pricey for a built long block ready for track day.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by desertheat
Not sure what you consider expensive and mabey your budget is many moons above ours "and I make plenty of $$$" but for a block with just forged pistons, $3500 is.... very pricey "trying to keep my tone down haha" Heck that is pricey for a built long block ready for track day.

Couldnt have said it better myself my man
Old 10-27-2005, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The problem is that probly like 75% of the people driving tC's are young newbs that dont know anything about this and are willing to pay the money cause someone said that its worth it and now my motor is able to handle whatever I put into it...I hate to be the one who said it but theres gonna be a lot of 2az rebuilds goin around from kids tryin to push it too far w/out doing proper engine work.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you know i will have to agree on this. $3500, is quite steep. basically for the stage 1, you have to spent $7-$8k once its all said and done...and that's insane! Practically half the cost of a 2006 tC!

Maybe you should reconsider the price, afterall, you are just giving us a new block with forged pistons. no bore increase, no rods, no new nothing but pistons. I would maybe kick it down to $2000 or less. $3500 for the works.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
but theres gonna be a lot of 2az rebuilds goin around from kids tryin to push it too far w/out doing proper engine work.

i could of sworn I said you would need to do engine work for a stage 1+ for our car...

hmm
Old 10-27-2005, 10:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Just to add, please do not take offence to this, I am just trying to point out what some companies with deeper pockets can easily overlook....
Old 10-27-2005, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is it not possible to sell just the pistons?

And the rods later when they come out for stage 2?

I don't know.. maybe a lot of people would be more willing to buy if these were staged upgrades components rather than a brand new block.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So a Brand new short block for a tC is 2700 but 3500 is to expensive for one with forged pistons?

It is not like there are an overabundance of engines out there. We are offering this you can by all means by the pistons from us and install them into your own block.

If Scion would give us blocks cheaper then we could pass that savings on to you.

We sell 8-12k dollar blocks for Subarus so I am not sure why this is so out of budget. It may be a little high but so is the OEM parts comparatively
Old 10-27-2005, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I just dont see any reason to sell a whole block w/ just piston upgrades...re sleeve the cyls, change the rods do something other than just adding pistons to the same non reinforced block that your trying to sell to people that they already have...and on another note...dont compare subaru powertrain to Toyota powertrain dealing w/ price.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

yeah it's pricey......but it takes the guess work out....figuring compression ratios and all, torque specs. I can figure that stuff out...but for somebody that just has cash and the "want it now" attitude. It would be cool to look into.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

You would be much better off just selling
pistons for a stage 0

pistons and rods as a stage 1

pistons, rods and custom metal headgasket as a stage 2

And then for the magic stage 3 then sell a complete bottom end with pistons, rods, sleeved block, upgraded crank bearings and arp all around.

99% of everyone on here does not need a new block in order to run higher levels of forced induction in a reliable manner.

Any subaru members that would pay $12,000 for a block are not in the same world as is scion owners. In fact I have never met a subaru guy even that would pay close to that "since you can buy a complete long block from fuji heavy industries for $5000" How do I know this? I come from owning and racing many subaru's and also own / operate the subaru legacy international forum and been into everything subaru since well before the wrx craze "building legacy turbo's, svx's, old impreza's.... Not to say there is not a sucker born every day though haha!
Old 10-27-2005, 10:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My only question is why the heck go to the massive expense of a new block when our engines are so new..? Hell for $2200 you could have block bored, custom pistons made from arias, custom rods from carillo and all assembled! Man I hope you sell a million and I am not trying to be negative but damn, I do not know very many tuners at all that are going to just fork over $3500 for a bottom end with forged pistons.

If someone is going to that extreme for boost, why not just sell pistons, ring and headgasket combinations. or mabey add rods.
First off, you can not have these blocks bored. At all. They have iron ductile cast in floating sleaves and you can't do much more then touch hone them. After that, they are trash. Just so you know. However, with the engines being so new, you could just dissasemble, touch hone them and reassemble them with the new forged pistons. However, the stock pistons are forged, along with the rods, and the crank, so Im not sure why this is even an issue. Of course the cast rings that are put on them could pose a problem with these boosted applications. I'd be willing to bet thats where people start seeing problems first.

Charles
Old 10-27-2005, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Agreed I honestly have not had a 2az apart yet but if they are ductile iron then yes, if your under 20K miles of normal use then just hone them and put in whatever pistons you want.

The quickes method would be to order in or have custom made a 2mm headgasket "depending on stock gasket thickness, anyone know the stock thickness..?" If stock is the normal toyota 1.2-1.3mm then a 2mm gasket would get us down into the 8.9:1 or 9:1 area which is my choice for low to mid levels of boost "up to 15 psi" on a non fi engine design. Would really help make things safe. Mabey cometic will make somthing for us.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I understand the concern about the price but it is what it is. We will have a stage 2 with rods and pistons and a stage 3 blocks that will be fully sleeved. The price will increase

We are not saying that you will need this on a stage 1 turbo kit. We are saying if you want to run 400whp daily this is recommended. The pistons are the weak spot on these engines the rods appear to be able to handle any amount of abuse that we have thrown at them thus far. The head bolts are the other weak link and we have already developed studs for them.

You can always just buy the parts and install yourself. This will always be cheaper in anything from changing your oil to building a house.

We compare Subbie parts to Scion parts because these are the two cars that we specialize in.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

From a technical standpoint, what areas are the "weak link" in the stock piston design..? I have not had them in hand which is why I am wondering. Is the pin to small? crap cast design even though everyone says they are forged? Not ceramic coated from toyota? are the skirts coated at all..? Have you guys had non-detonation related issues with the stock pistons on your turbo cars or r&d cars..? Are the piston rings the main culprit..? Any info would be great!
Old 10-27-2005, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes and give us a price for the pistons both of the sets with rings

please!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-27-2005, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

3500 msrp not bad.... this would actually sell to people who don't want to or don't have enough knowledge to build the block themselves... but u should also sell rods and pistons seperately to the people who want to build their engines by themselves

Quick Reply: ZPIracing Stage 1 Short block