Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

2az internals

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member

Default 2az internals

I realy want to know If the tc's internals are realy forged and have piston coolers. And what is different from the tc's 2az and the camry's 2az?
Old 05-28-2006, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 2az internals

Originally Posted by toyo4life
I realy want to know If the tc's internals are realy forged and have piston coolers. And what is different from the tc's 2az and the camry's 2az?
The pistons are not forged and there are no oil squirters if thats what you are referring to.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member

yeah thats what i wanted to know! thanks. cause ive heard that they do.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Turbo is correct, crappy cast pistons, horrid toothpick rods... Not to impressive.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

camry and tc 2az are the same. I think the previa 2az is the same as well but with a 4wd auto tranny. would make an interesting swap for a tc.......
Old 05-28-2006, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think you mean the RAV4, we are looking at a swap to AWD in a year or two;)

The stock rods and pistons have held up well on the tC version of the 2AZ while putting down some very respecable numbers. If you are building a car to actually drive the stock parts are fine for any reasonable amount of power. If you are more concerned with big dyno numbers but not a real car to drive around daily in then you will want at least pistons, the rods can take quite a bit of abuse as they are but if changing the pistons, may as well do the rods at the same time.

Rick

Rick
Old 05-28-2006, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

The previa also have awd
Old 05-28-2006, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought the rods were semi forged, the crank was forged and the pistons were cast with small ring lands for emissions (similar to the new Ford Mustang GT pistons and probably all newer modle cars).
Old 05-28-2006, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...spagenameZWD1V

someone go buy that and put it in a tC.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it was a manual tranny I would buy it right this very minute but it's an auto, bummer. Funny thing is I am moving approx 40 miles from there there the end of July, I will see if they can find a manual tranny one to bring in.

FYI, earlier previa AWDs sold in the US had a different engine and probably different transmission than this one shown.

Uncharted territory here as well, no idea how much power the transmissions can handle, differential would be needed as well and questions about it's durability woul be uncharted territory as well.

Along the uncharted territory line, this could end up being an insanely difficult conversion, at the very least it will be very time consuming and pretty costly even if DIY but sure would be fun, why we are going to look more into it in the future.

Anybody have the time to dig around to see what has been done to the AWD "Previa" in Japan yet, even available in a manual tranny? I do not read Japanese so not much I can do but if somebody here does, that would be cool to have an interpreter!

Rick
Old 05-28-2006, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

The 05 camry 2az is NOT the same as the tC 2az. I dont have all the details, but I know that the bearing/cap assembly is different from what some of the shops have gone through trying to get parts for it. I dont know what else they changed.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

As far as internals, Rick is correct. Take a look at the numbers a lot of people are putting down with stock blocks.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by engifineer
The 05 camry 2az is NOT the same as the tC 2az. I dont have all the details, but I know that the bearing/cap assembly is different from what some of the shops have gone through trying to get parts for it. I dont know what else they changed.
Im willing to bet there the same . I doubt they would cast a completely new block to accept different main caps .
Old 05-28-2006, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only reason I would see for a change is knowing alot of the tC's will be boosted but that is an area that Toyota normally overbuilds most all their engines in. If you split the crancase on all the modern Toyotas I have seen, massively supported crankshafts are the rule.

The rod caps and bearings may be different(that would most likely mean the rods as well)

The pistons are the only real weak link for any concern for longivity but the more critical factor is how you keep it tuned and how you drive it, again for any reasonable power level.

At 10PSI a boosted tC 2AZ that is finely tuned, maintained and not redlined every time you shift should last for quite some time and a used engine is cheap if you break it

Rick
Old 05-28-2006, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by toyotaracer9
Originally Posted by engifineer
Im willing to bet there the same . I doubt they would cast a completely new block to accept different main caps .
It is different. Ask ZPI, who had issues buying parts for the internals because they were not being stocked anywhere back at the time and found they could not simply buy camry parts because they did not all work.
Old 05-28-2006, 08:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I agree Rick. If I remember correctly the bearings and rods were the area they were finding differences in.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I think ZPI bought Solara parts (another one with 2AZ) and they didn't fit.
Old 05-29-2006, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Yep, there ended up being a parts site (cant remember it off hand) that actually listed the tC parts, but I am not sure if anyone has tried them yet. I seem to remember that ZPI did though
Old 05-29-2006, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I guess if I was interested enough I could look in my Camry and tC Microfische files and compare parts numbers

Rick
Old 05-29-2006, 10:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, Rick please do look up the parts no. and description of the bearings, rods and other internals to see if they are reciprocal items. I have a 2004 2AZ Camry and need to boost it up

I need to know if I could use tC parts when I up the booost

Quick Reply: 2az internals