Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion tC 1G Forced Induction (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-forced-induction-1645/)
-   -   Any blown motors from F/I? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-tc-1g-forced-induction-1645/any-blown-motors-f-i-59613/)

msdbsptc 05-19-2006 05:35 PM

Any blown motors from F/I?

I mean has anyone blown a tc motor and say 10psi or less. SC or turbo. I'm planning on going f/i this summer. I just really have to be carefull as this is my daily driver. So I want to feel safe about doing this. I plan on running low boost 7-10 psi and Im wondering, if anyone has had problems or blown a motor or anything yet.

Stu_Gotti 05-19-2006 06:04 PM

I have had issues with my motor, but it was N/A.. thats a long story, if interested, just read the thread in my sig named "Gotti's Saga".. you will learn all the garbage I went through.

I dont think there has been many issues, maybe a handful of engines that have had issues with both s/c and t/c. I think the majority of the issues were in fact mfgr errors or improper tuning, or too much boost for the stock block.

Hope that helps your questions some.

dgHotLava 05-19-2006 06:15 PM

there were a few peeps that had problems with the SC.

but it was because they never had the ECU reflashed.

msdbsptc 05-19-2006 06:16 PM

yea i read gottis saga. total crap wha happened to u btw. but regarding FI thats all I've noticed so far. So as long as I get it properly tuned and stay in the 'safe' boost range I guess I'll be fine.

Stu_Gotti 05-19-2006 06:22 PM

Yeah, def sucked..

Exactly though.. just remember, you can go faster, just cost more, and you can do a crappy tune or not do one at all, and watch the problems kill your car.. just do it right the first time, and service it.. only thing you would have to worry about then would be bad parts poppin up on ya.. like me :P

DTRUONG_112 05-19-2006 08:38 PM

i think munch has blown his motor...

yamaha16bw 05-19-2006 11:18 PM

With the Turbonetics kit? I dont remember seeing that. Didn't his kit blow a bearing in the turbo though?

WiCkEd_TrInI 05-19-2006 11:22 PM

up to how much horsepower can the stock motor handle?

tC9o9 05-19-2006 11:29 PM

i would say about 300hp for a DD

pollup 05-20-2006 12:17 AM

im sitting at 265whp for a DD and im not having any problems besides my driving. its hard to get used to FI with a drive by wire system. alot of weird things happen when you hit bumps :(. Im running 10psi by the way, on stock everything. If i change out my exhaust i can free up a buttload of hp, but local laws are preventing me, i dont need any tickets.

tC9o9 05-20-2006 12:57 AM

laws???

what the hell are laws? :P

pollup 05-20-2006 12:58 AM

this is a link to my previous vehicles, i damn near paid their values in tickets.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/132933
i live in a commonwealth, therefore we have retarded laws. altered suspension, headlights, taillights, exhaust. any mods to those right off the bat, your hit with a ticket. no questions ask. no shaving no bags nothing!.. sucks ___.

tC9o9 05-20-2006 01:06 AM

dumb laws...

sux more than cali

pollup 05-20-2006 01:26 AM

virginia is one of the worst states for customizing cars. on that geo i use to have a set of the lights on the hood for the windshield washer fluid, i just put them in and didnt even wire them up, i got pulled and ticketed. apparently your not allowed to have lights above your headlights on your vehicle. and it went through in court! i want to move to florida.

MytC 05-20-2006 03:09 AM

i live in VA and i have an exhaust nothing happened to me

pollup 05-20-2006 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by MytC
i live in VA and i have an exhaust nothing happened to me

this is not an attack on fairfax but lets be honest, there is no reason for the police to be aholes there considering you dont get alot of tourist traffic. if you think im lying ask mtxgalant (whose in training to be part of va police) and gmoney. i live at the beach area, and norfolk is not as bad. also if youve been watching the news there was a big bust in norfolk where 80+ tickets were handed out for people sitting in a parking lot. i was there, i left with my tint ticket, others werent so lucky. some got impounded, others got multiple tickets for altered equipment.

MytC 05-20-2006 03:24 AM

ah true true. But i have takin my car down to Norfolk close to ODU and nothing happened and cops saw me at the gas station

pollup 05-20-2006 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by MytC
ah true true. But i have takin my car down to Norfolk close to ODU and nothing happened and cops saw me at the gas station

well i can tell you from experience, they are no slouches here for stupid tickets. ive lived here my entire life, they are no joke.

then you have people who have out of state plates (alot of navy folks) and think they wont get ticketed for their stuff. i had a buddy with a 95 eclipse slammed with green lights near the rear license plate and a custom exhaust. he had florida plates, got 3 tickets, went to court to fight them , told the judge he wasnt stationed here that he was only passing through, judge replied ignorance of the law is not an excuse, pay your ticket and get out of my court room. they dont play games here. not every cop is gonna get you every time.
example of that, me and a few buddies were messing around, we were doing 85 in a 55 down a long stretch of road. a cop pulled up within 1/4 mile behind me before i noticed him and i was still doing 85. i slowed down and the little rsx next to me slowed down. cop gets behind him and follows him (big chrome exhaust hanging out the back). instead of following me which he had to know i was speeding because he caught up to my ___ with the quickness he decided to follow the rsx. so its not an every case deal.

rhythmnsmoke 05-20-2006 12:04 PM

On topic

The only tC motor I've seen blow on f/I was pushing 500+whp on a stock block. So, to answer your question, for others on low PSI, I have yet to see any blown motors. (I'm not sure if Munch blew his motor. I thought he just bought another one for the purpose of building it?)

3min3m2 05-20-2006 05:31 PM

THats the benefits of living in Wext Virginia, not Virginia...the only thing that is really illegal on cars is flashing blue/red/white lights when your driving, speeding, and no cat onverters....but no one even notices that.

one time i drove my old S-10 with blue neons for about 50 miles with the neon lights on....passed 4 cops, 2 on the interstate....never even paid attention....but i think that was a fluke

Sorry to hear the VA cops were not giving you a break