Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

ATTN: Need feedback from tCs with HydraEMS

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 06:20 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default ATTN: Need feedback from tCs with HydraEMS

I am thinking about getting the HydraEMS for tuning my car. I want to get some feedback, especially about the idle.

Dezod states on their website about the AEM EMS that they have the only one that has 100% control over idle:

Originally Posted by [url
http://www.dezod.com/pd_dezod_motorsports_standalone.cfm[/url]]We have come up with a way of allowing for 100% control over the idle despite the fact of the stock PCM having control over the Drive-By-Wire. This is utterly exclusive to the Dezod Motorsports unit, and no other manufacturer can boast this!
I want to know if the HydraEMS can do well with idle control and just in general how well it works with the stock ECU and if the stock ECU fights back at all like it does with piggybacks.

Any input from people that have the HydraEMS will be appreciated!
Old 03-01-2008, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

the hydraems is a standalone system that elminates the ecu it works similar too the aem ems i believe
Old 03-01-2008, 01:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's someone here local running it on their turbo tc... he swears up and down it's better then the AEM EMS... Oh and cheaper...
Old 03-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

thanks for the input, anyone else who is running the HydraEMS? The idle issue would be a big deal with me, plus one thing that is interesting is the whole autotune upgrade for the Hydra.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

we have a local tC running hydra with a custom kit, He idles fine and the car drives very smooth, its the closest ive seen to what a tc would be like with factory boost.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The new version of the Hydra coming out (2.6) will have COMPLETE engine control including idle and DBW.

Right now my Hydra is linked with the stock ECU which handles the DBW. Ive never had an idle problem ever. You will never be able to notice that the Hydra isnt controlling it. At least I dont.

As far as I know no AEM unit can handle DBW by its self. Not sure if the Dezod unit uses another "box" to control I dont know. From what I hear AEM has no plan to make a EMS that will do DBW. To much of a risk.

I could be wrong though.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by yamaha16bw
The new version of the Hydra coming out (2.6) will have COMPLETE engine control including idle and DBW.

Right now my Hydra is linked with the stock ECU which handles the DBW. Ive never had an idle problem ever. You will never be able to notice that the Hydra isnt controlling it. At least I dont.

As far as I know no AEM unit can handle DBW by its self. Not sure if the Dezod unit uses another "box" to control I dont know. From what I hear AEM has no plan to make a EMS that will do DBW. To much of a risk.

I could be wrong though.
Oh really? Sounds like the 2.6 is exactly what I need! Any ideas when that will be released? I still have quite a bit of time till ill be buying it, but I want to plan ahead. Thanks so much yamaha16bw! Its going to be part of my engine build budget. Oh and one more question, how good is the auto tune (atleast for a decent baseline)
Old 03-01-2008, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by equinox2355

I could be wrong though.
Oh really? Sounds like the 2.6 is exactly what I need! Any ideas when that will be released? I still have quite a bit of time till ill be buying it, but I want to plan ahead. Thanks so much yamaha16bw! Its going to be part of my engine build budget. Oh and one more question, how good is the auto tune (atleast for a decent baseline)

I didnt tune my car but the autotune works just fine for me. PM Guru on these forums. He knows more about Hydra's anyone else ive met. He tuned my car.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i talked to andrew at Hydra and he stated that if you purchase the 2.5 version b4 the 2.6 is out you can update it for free. but if you buy the hydra with 2.6 it'll be $185 more which is still cheap.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:00 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by mikescion
i talked to andrew at Hydra and he stated that if you purchase the 2.5 version b4 the 2.6 is out you can update it for free. but if you buy the hydra with 2.6 it'll be $185 more which is still cheap.
wow thanks for that info mike, so then im assuming that the 2.6 is just a software and/or firmware update, rather than a hardware change. If it is hardware too thats cool, seems to me that the hydra is a better choice than the universal AEM. Thanks all!

If anyone else has input or experiences with the HydraEMS feel free to let me know!
Old 03-02-2008, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

+1 for Hydra. That's what I'm going with as well.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ x2. Hydra is tC specific and is proven with great support!

If you want a lil more info on the Hydra, here is a great start!

http://www.turbochargers.com/store/p...oducts_id=1367
Old 03-02-2008, 06:58 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

its a software and hardware change but they said they'll work with who ever purchases it b4 the 2.6 comes out.... yea mine will be ordered next week
Old 03-02-2008, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Mike when you talked to Andrew did he say all we have to do is mail in our units for the upgrade?

I'll upgrade mine as well.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Mike when you talked to Andrew did he say all we have to do is mail in our units for the upgrade?

I'll upgrade mine as well.
X2! I'd be interested in that info as well
Old 03-02-2008, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

we would have to contact them before sendin the unit then they'll take care of you.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

with the aem, and the hyda, you have to keep the factory ecu in the car. the standalone handles all the engine stuff, and the factory ecu handles everything else in the car. i personally, am going with the AEM. and i will be using a BBK throttle body
Old 03-03-2008, 04:16 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by krazylowgsx
with the aem, and the hyda, you have to keep the factory ecu in the car. the standalone handles all the engine stuff, and the factory ecu handles everything else in the car. i personally, am going with the AEM. and i will be using a BBK throttle body
well according to:

I could be wrong though.
the 2.6 version of the HydraEMS will not require the factory ECU.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i read that too, but i he said complete ENGINE control. i was told that the factory ecu is required for everything else... door locks, lights, windows, ect. mayne i was mis informed, but it pretty much makes since to me, since no one has a true pnp standalone yet. even the so called "standalones" require a harness! when i had my dsm... a plug and play was literly... pull the factory ecu, plug the new one in.. no adapter harness needed. if the new hydra will completly replace the stock ecu, and everything in the car still functions like its supposed to, thats bad ___... i may look into that.. and the dbw control with be a huge plus! any idea on a release date?
Old 03-03-2008, 04:34 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Well most of those things you listed work off relays, and not the ECU, but im not 100% sure.

I hope that I can use it to replace my factory ECU.

Quick Reply: ATTN: Need feedback from tCs with HydraEMS