Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

ATTN: Need feedback from tCs with HydraEMS

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by equinox2355
Well most of those things you listed work off relays, and not the ECU, but im not 100% sure.

I hope that I can use it to replace my factory ECU.
No standalone for the tC or modded for the tC will totally replace the stock ECU. The stock ECU will always be needed for the little things in the car that has nothing to do with performance. This goes for the 2.6 Hydra.

Also the AEM isn't really universal if you buy the Dezod AEM EMS. The Dezod AEM EMS is modded from Dezod to work with the tC.

I'm going with the Dezod AEM EMS after talking to my tuner. You should talk to your tuner and find out which he prefers.

BTW, I'm not trying to sway you to buy either of these. In fact I could careless cuz it's not like I get money every time I say to buy one of them.lol
Old 03-03-2008, 05:47 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you contact AEM and ask them if they have a specific standalone for the scion Tc they will tell you "NO" but you can get a universal one and figuer it out... but if you call Hydra they will say Yes we do have one for the scion tc and what ever year you need it for. So my point of this story is Dezod's unit is either a Universal or Modded Honda unit. Unless Dezod copyrighted it as Dezod AEM standalone but i'm not sure AEM would like to see that LOL
Old 03-03-2008, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by mikescion
If you contact AEM and ask them if they have a specific standalone for the scion Tc they will tell you "NO" but you can get a universal one and figuer it out... but if you call Hydra they will say Yes we do have one for the scion tc and what ever year you need it for. So my point of this story is Dezod's unit is either a Universal or Modded Honda unit. Unless Dezod copyrighted it as Dezod AEM standalone but i'm not sure AEM would like to see that LOL
Hence the reason I said...

"Also the AEM isn't really universal if you buy the Dezod AEM EMS. The Dezod AEM EMS is modded from Dezod to work with the tC."

If they have it copyrighted as the "Dezod AEM" is irrelevant. The fact is that it's an AEM (whichever unit) that's modded to work with the tC.

Why do you care if he buys one over the other? If he buys the Hydra he may end up with no tuners for miles around and that's why I say talk to your tuner before you do anything.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Odds are if your tuner is good enough to tune AEM's well, then the tuner shouldnt have any problem tuning the Hydra.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well the drive by wire capability means little to be honest with you. I have tuned 3 Tc's with Hydras and none of them did I need any idle speed control. I just let stock ECU do it's thing with no problems. The Hydra can control every single parameter you wish and works extremely well. A lot of tuners have not seen the Hydra software but it is very impressive and has great datalogging with excel spreadsheet exportable sheets. It also has the 3 bar map sensor built in which is nice. Nothing additional to buy unlike AEM. Lastly, the Hydra is actually made for the Tc and thus is supported by Hydra. THei customer service is second to none. Try getting an AEM rep on the phone at all. Now once you have him on the phone try to have him give you support for a product they don't technically make. Exactly. To be honest with you any tuner that is experienced can work easily with Hydra software. I have helped a few in just making sure he knows where everything is in the software. Once he knows that it's cake. Now in that statement I still do not recommend any novice ever tune their car without some professional help regardless of what EMS they are using.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by yamaha16bw
Odds are if your tuner is good enough to tune AEM's well, then the tuner shouldnt have any problem tuning the Hydra.
Ah I don't think that's true. Yeah I'm sure he could figure it out but if you are getting a standalone you probably have a lot of money into your car and I wouldn't want someone to be figuring anything out with something as important as a tune.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etsnet
Ah I don't think that's true. Yeah I'm sure he could figure it out but if you are getting a standalone you probably have a lot of money into your car and I wouldn't want someone to be figuring anything out with something as important as a tune.
Ditto!

The Hydra seem s very promising from what i've read in his thread and others. buti know people that have the AEM also , and they love it, so i guess it all comes down to what your tuner prefers, and what your budget allows.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

"Also the AEM isn't really universal if you buy the Dezod AEM EMS. The Dezod AEM EMS is modded from Dezod to work with the tC."

If they have it copyrighted as the "Dezod AEM" is irrelevant. The fact is that it's an AEM (whichever unit) that's modded to work with the tC.

Why do you care if he buys one over the other? If he buys the Hydra he may end up with no tuners for miles around and that's why I say talk to your tuner before you do anything.

After seeing what you have to go through to get support for the AEM (AEM does not support it, and Dezod says go talk to a tuner), I think that's enough for me to stick with Hydra.

PS....don't you have to be a certified tuner to tune AEM?
Old 03-03-2008, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by krazylowgsx
Ditto!

The Hydra seem s very promising from what i've read in his thread and others. buti know people that have the AEM also , and they love it, so i guess it all comes down to what your tuner prefers, and what your budget allows.

Hydra is cheaper...
Old 03-03-2008, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In actuality tuning is tuning. Once you know where everything is in the software, it's really the same process. I had to figure out an old Motec M6 one time on a mid 80's Porsche. Once I deduced that the injector on time was measured in duty cycle (yeah wierd) and the x and y axis was flipped from what I normally use, it wasn't bad at all. Hydra software is very intuitive and IMO less complicated than the AEM software. AEM i s used a lot in other applications like Honda and DSM/Mitsu so thus the popularity with a lot of tuners but really talking to tuners that have used both, I have not found one that did not prefer the software on the Hydra.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:54 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

For those that have the hydra or have tuned the hydra, do you know if it provides a base map?
Old 03-03-2008, 03:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Depends on where you get it from. I provide a couple of different base maps for people with either 800cc PE injectors or RC 650cc injectors. I have not set up other injectors so won't have fuel maps for others although you can scale it off one of the above maps rather easily to get you started. If and when I ever finish the bigger project I'm working on I hope to have a 1000cc map.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

After seeing what you have to go through to get support for the AEM (AEM does not support it, and Dezod says go talk to a tuner), I think that's enough for me to stick with Hydra.

I've never once had to call an engine management company to ask anything. I think the problem you have or your friend is that he has to spend money to get a tuner to program and tune it. He probably should of did more research and talked to his tuner.

As for "Dezod says go talk to a tuner" I'm sure that's to tune it but I'm sure if there was a problem they'd help out (and I don't mean a problem like I don't know what I'm doing and can't start my car).

I don't think you need to be certified to tune anything really. Does it help that a tuner is certified? You bet your a$$ it does. Check Hydra website at all the certified tuners they have. 2 and one has no address of where he is on his site and the other is in Puerto Rico and the last time I checked my car didn't float.

My point is talk to your tuner and make your decision. Like I said before "if you are getting a standalone you probably have a lot of money into your car and I wouldn't want someone to be figuring anything out with something as important as a tune" wheather that person is you, a friend or a tuner.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I've never once had to call an engine management company to ask anything. I think the problem you have or your friend is that he has to spend money to get a tuner to program and tune it. He probably should of did more research and talked to his tuner.

As for "Dezod says go talk to a tuner" I'm sure that's to tune it but I'm sure if there was a problem they'd help out (and I don't mean a problem like I don't know what I'm doing and can't start my car).

I don't think you need to be certified to tune anything really. Does it help that a tuner is certified? You bet your a$$ it does. Check Hydra website at all the certified tuners they have. 2 and one has no address of where he is on his site and the other is in Puerto Rico and the last time I checked my car didn't float.

My point is talk to your tuner and make your decision. Like I said before "if you are getting a standalone you probably have a lot of money into your car and I wouldn't want someone to be figuring anything out with something as important as a tune" wheather that person is you, a friend or a tuner.

It wasn't a tunning question he asked them....

Hydra FTW!!

PS....You starting to sound like your taking it personal that a few people are prefering the Hydra over the AEM. No one is bashing AEM or Dezod, just stating opinions thats all.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Guru
In actuality tuning is tuning. Once you know where everything is in the software, it's really the same process. I had to figure out an old Motec M6 one time on a mid 80's Porsche. Once I deduced that the injector on time was measured in duty cycle (yeah wierd) and the x and y axis was flipped from what I normally use, it wasn't bad at all. Hydra software is very intuitive and IMO less complicated than the AEM software. AEM i s used a lot in other applications like Honda and DSM/Mitsu so thus the popularity with a lot of tuners but really talking to tuners that have used both, I have not found one that did not prefer the software on the Hydra.

I get what you are saying about the stuff is all the same but then some poor guy has to pay his tuner more money to figure where everything is (most of the time anyway). Either way both our good from what I hear. If you where here in Florida I would of bought the hydra in a flash.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It wasn't a tunning question he asked them....

Hydra FTW!!

PS....You starting to sound like your taking it personal that a few people are prefering the Hydra over the AEM. No one is bashing AEM or Dezod, just stating opinions thats all.
I could careless. I'm not one of those "I have it so it's the best and I'll never talk bad about it" type of guys. Like I've said before I only didn't get the Hydra cuz my tuner told me to go with the AEM. In fact there are a couple of peeps in this thread I pm'd about the Hydra like a night or 2 before I changed my mind.

Standalone FTW!!
Old 03-04-2008, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Indeed....Standalone FTW!
Old 03-04-2008, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Im lucky enough to live pretty much down the street from Dan(Guru)!

I wasnt even going to do standalone untill he talked me into it. Now its close to the best mod ive done.....standalones worth the money!
Old 04-14-2008, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

I love my hydra too ^^

I got mine from Dan (guru) I just wish he was in florida so he could tune it.

I have the basic tune he gave me for the 800c injectors.

Idle is fine. I tweak it every now and then, and run the datalogger. I personally love it.

Everytime i've called hydra, customer service is great. I've always been able to talk to one of the techs there.

I can't wait for 2.6 to come out, so I can upgrade it!!!!

Good luck choosing your standalone.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has anyone ditch the dbw capability?... Last time I talked to the local dude, he was ditching it for a cable setup...

Quick Reply: ATTN: Need feedback from tCs with HydraEMS