Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

S/c tC compared to other cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 05:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Default S/c tC compared to other cars

A while back I posted a thread asking about what it would take ot build a tC to run with "fast" cars (I dont mean supercars here, just fast as a loose term, lol) such as WRX's. Most people said go turbo and you'll be good to go. Well.....

After much reading and research, I believe that I've decided to go s/c. I'm not trying to beat anyone and racing is def not my thing, but I was just wondering, if I s/c my car how will I compare to cars such as the Impreza WRX (not STi), Mustang GT, Civic Si?? (All of these cars in their stock forms of course). I'm just wanting to get an idea of how I'll match up. My car is auto, and obviously no one has an idea of how the s/c auto does yet, but just make comparisons based on the manual version if you can. My engine is stock except for Injen CAI (which I guess I lose when I s/c) and Borla exhaust. I want to know how I'll compare with JUST the s/c, and then what the difference would be if I did the pulley and BPV (and yes...I realize that'll kill the warranty).

Thanks guys. Can't wait to see some s/c auto responses, it'll be interesting to see how they do. If its well, then f/i here I come!
Old 04-04-2006, 12:27 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I think it would do pretty well against most of those cars. I mean the WRX may still get you but it won't be my much if it does. The Civic IMO is over rated and personally I wouldn't worry too much about that. The mustang is a V-8 so it has the advantage and once it gets moving well you get the idea.
If you're looking for something to add power to the car and you're not trying to go drag racing every weekend then the S/C is probably your best bet. I think that's what most people with the S/C want anyway. Oh and lately it seems that adding the pulley is causing more problems that just warranty issues. So I'd stay away from that but it's your call.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It would fair well against those cars.

My "guess" is that it would pull an Si slightly from a roll-get pulled slightly by a WRX from a roll (off the line the rex would kill you)-and dont even think about a GT. Doesnt matter if the GT is a 5A or 5M the end result would be the same. It would kill you off the line and from a roll. I mean kill you. Not a chance in hell, not even with a pully upgrade.

The TC is Toyota backed cant go wrong with that!

The Si is the slowest of the bunch till you throw it on a race-track. It would probably take the GT on a track. Pulls over .90 G's on the pad.

I have owned 2 mustang GTs in the past and they have both caused me alot of debt, time and trouble.

The REX can be as fast as you pocket book will make it, same with the GT.

All 4 are awesome cars and they are all 4 of the hottest rides in their respective price ranges. I would be a happy owner with either one in my garage. Currently I own a new Si, but I'm not biased and am a huge scion fan. I am very happy with my car. I would love to have a tc with a blower, but you cant have it all.
I also own an RS 3.0 xb and love it too!
Old 04-07-2006, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A supercharged tC is cabable of doing a ~14.7(give or take a tenth) in the quarter mile. With this in mind, go to a respectable car mag website(road and track, car and driver, I prefer the latter) and do a search on the car your want to compare it to.

For instance, Car and Driver got a 2005 Mustang GT, at $27,570, to do 0-60 in 5.2, the quarter mile in 13.8, and pull 0.87 g's on the skidpad.
The previous generation Mustang GT, which are more common, did 6.3 and 15.1.

A 2002 WRX did ~5.9 and 14.7 with a 0.81 on the skidpad, whereas a 2005 is ESTIMATED to be slightly faster.

Search.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I will walk on a WRX from a roll with no problem, I can beat an Si in pretty much any gear but probly 5th lol, and I dunno what I would do against a stock GT but I doubt he would blow me away that badly...Im also not stock though but with the few mods I have Im still way under the prices of the WRX and the GT.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
...Im also not stock though but with the few mods I have Im still way under the prices of the WRX and the GT.
Exactly!! I wish more people could grasp this concept.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

from a roll...

SC tC > STOCK 04 WRX

The 05's probably run neck and neck...
Old 04-08-2006, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
from a roll...

SC tC > STOCK 04 WRX

The 05's probably run neck and neck...
That is correct. I drove a stock 04 WRX, and my tC will eat it from a roll. The WRX gets its 0-60 from its launch ability. www.car-stats.com has a great database of tested cars, check it out for comparison purposes. Keep in mind that some magazines (C&D) use correction factors to establish their e.t.'s. In other words, they estimate what a car can do under ideal conditions. Magazines like Sport Compact Car typically just use raw data.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Wyatt_Herb
...Im also not stock though but with the few mods I have Im still way under the prices of the WRX and the GT.
Exactly!! I wish more people could grasp this concept.

very TRUE!...thats why i bought my tC. first time i test drove this car, i knew its got potential to go fastER. I wanted the o6 Si, but it was a big fat car. And also, when you turbocharged a tC to be on the same price range...its over! ...EVO and STI claims their stock car runs 13 flat on 1/4mile, but real life it runs low 14s. The turbocharged tC runs high 13s. --> am i right?
Old 04-08-2006, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Ehh, I thought the s/c tC ran high 14's (without pulleys and such). And, I thought the STi and EVO actually did run 13's, I've ridden in both of them and they are really fast...But, I could be wrong, as I dont own STi or EVO, and I havent gotten or ridden in a s/c tC yet (YET, HAHAHA).
Old 04-08-2006, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

first of all a turbocharged tc (depending on what turbo u get) will definately not kill an STI or an EVO. Those cars are sick fast ive been in both. and they definately do run 13's. 0-60 in like 4.5 for a stock 03 EVO. they are also like $30,000-$35,000. turbo a tc and u will be happy for a lot cheaper. but an EVO is still sick and a turbo tc will probably just keep up. they are all wheel drive and they will destroy a tc off the line .
Old 04-09-2006, 12:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ufcknockouts
first of all a turbocharged tc (depending on what turbo u get) will definately not kill an STI or an EVO. Those cars are sick fast ive been in both. and they definately do run 13's. 0-60 in like 4.5 for a stock 03 EVO. they are also like $30,000-$35,000. turbo a tc and u will be happy for a lot cheaper. but an EVO is still sick and a turbo tc will probably just keep up. they are all wheel drive and they will destroy a tc off the line .
Have you seen stock evos and stis ran 13s on tracks?? cuz just being in both cars and say that theyre fast, doesnt conclude they run 13s, as it always feels like it. They do run 13s when they ran it as a prototype (like the info from car mags that you get). Ive seen stock EVO and STI(my frend has one) at the tracks running low 14s, cant even hit 13.999, LOL. And some guys here with turbocharged tC are running high 13s...as they say, dont know if theyre bull____ting? i cant tell, i dont have a turbo, but im just saying from the info on this forum
Old 04-09-2006, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

yea well Sti's and Evo's that are stock wont beat a turbonetics tC setup as my friend proved this at the track a few weeks ago when he took home 2 trophies and some cash at Englishtown running in the 13.0-13.99 street class, beating out every STi and Evo.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea well Sti's and Evo's that are stock wont beat a turbonetics tC setup as my friend proved this at the track a few weeks ago when he took home 2 trophies and some cash at Englishtown running in the 13.0-13.99 street class, beating out every STi and Evo.
I'm glad he stuck with the tC. What was his E.T.?
Old 04-09-2006, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Hahaha why do I have video of my sc tc with pulley, header, s-pipe and sport 110 bypass valve ripping 2 different mustang gt's "2006 models" at firebird in the top end? They got me off the line bairly but by 1/2 track I was all over them and then passed. Won each time by a tenth. All depends on the driver. These guys were not so hot but I am now running a consistant 14.3 unless they make a good run I beat them every time. Most gt's I have seen run around a 14.3-14.4 especially the auto's. The TC with a sc slightly modified rips most cars on the road. I saw a stock lancer RS 2 weeks ago hit a 12.8 but the guy was hammering the car so bad off the line, he eventually broke 4th, why 4th gear I have no idea, but the last run the car would not shift at all into 4th or 5th gear.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Shoelesscraig
Ehh, I thought the s/c tC ran high 14's (without pulleys and such). And, I thought the STi and EVO actually did run 13's, I've ridden in both of them and they are really fast...But, I could be wrong, as I dont own STi or EVO, and I havent gotten or ridden in a s/c tC yet (YET, HAHAHA).

Stock sc -tc with a good driver runs 14.7 or so, I now run a consistant 14.3. With some good tires, delete my 18" bling rims and finish the exhaust "just a header and s-pipe" and add the intake then I put money I will be running a 13.9X or so. Only time will tell That time is getting close !
Old 04-09-2006, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by ryno379
I'm glad he stuck with the tC. What was his E.T.?
he ran a best of 13.7 @ 102mph I think...with a 2.6 60 ft time