Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

turbotoytas simple kit+GT3071R (vid p 12, final results p 31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default turbotoytas simple kit+GT3071R (vid p 12, final results p 31)

okay, so i have a turbotoyotas's simple kit minus a turbo (yes, i am one of those slubs waiting for parts from todd but that isn't the point of this thread). so rather than p!$$ and moan, i have most of my kit, but i really just need the turbo to get this thing installed. so i told todd i'm just going to order the turbo i wanted from Geoff @ NurSpec, and he can get me the turbo i paid for whenever, and i'll have a spare incase something happens, i can pop the other one in and rebuild the busted one or whatever.

anyway, i planned to order a garrett GT3071R .82 a/r turbo from NurSpec, but then todd tells me that "it has to either have "a B cover, or a 2871 compressor cover" and that he isn't talking about the wheel in the turbine, but the actual compressor cover.

so me and geoff are confused, i keep being the middle man between him and todd. geoff is asking me questions like do i need a slip fit, or what the inlet/outlet sizes are etc, so this wasn't working because i keep asking todd the questions that geoff is asking, and all todd seems to care about is where geoff orders his turbo from, and i don't know why that matters, but it does.

i finally give up on playing middle man, and ask geoff to try and figure out what todd is talking about with this turbo (btw, geoff is the man with all this patience and service he has shown), and todd doesn't tell geoff what he needs to order, but tells him that he'll talk to his vender/distrubtor or whatever, and tell him what i need to order.

why todd can't just give me a part number through email, SL or text is beyond me, but the todd works in mysterious ways, so is there anybody out there with a simple kit and this kind of turbo can tell me what kind of turbo i need to order? i'm trying to wrap this turbo kit up and get it installed this month.

Last edited by draxcaliber; 01-07-2010 at 02:22 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:32 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

i think the reason he says to use a b-cover is becouse of spacing limitations...

the turbo i had with my simple kit was a T3/t4b stage 5wheel .82a/r turbin housing .60a/r compressor housing.

hope that helps any.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This.. http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=GRT

With the 4" inlet anti-surge compressor housing. Get a .63 A/R exhaust housing. Both options are available on that site.. unless Todd is saying that compressor housing won't fit.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, thats the trouble, he really isn't saying anything about the why of the special turbo, but i guess since it is literally the compressor cover, it could be about limited space, but i did just get my slim fans for the radiator this past week.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

waitaminute, where it says "Please select compressor housing Style: 3.00" inlet and 2" outlet (Alternate compact housing used on 2871R)"

so is that what he must be talking about? it has to be...i hope!!!
Old 09-06-2009, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes it is.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great, just forwarded that to geoff, hopefully this will all be resolved on tuesday, and i can have it paid for and shipped that day.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks alot guys, i really appreciate it!
Old 09-06-2009, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay, but geoff still needs to know the following: We need to find out what size and style compressor housing. Bolt or flange and 3 or 4 inch
Old 09-06-2009, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

christian, i didnt know you had a kit laying around, hopefull you can get that ish on the car soon! anyways i didnt know if you were going to install or not but if you ever need a hand, let me know!

p.s i doubt you will ever receive your turbo!
Old 09-06-2009, 06:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

good luck drax. I'm still waiting to hear on my turbo status as well. I unfortunately am missing 80% of my kit so i couldn't even begin to start my own project. Plus i'm broke.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Originally Posted by draxcaliber
okay, but geoff still needs to know the following: We need to find out what size and style compressor housing. Bolt or flange and 3 or 4 inch
compressor inlet should be a 3 inch (coupling for intake pipe should be a tight fit) with a 2 inch outlet (after the intercooler the pipes turn into a 2.5inch). Turbin to manifold is a t3 foot (4 bolt flange).
Old 09-06-2009, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by youngflyer
christian, i didnt know you had a kit laying around, hopefull you can get that ish on the car soon! anyways i didnt know if you were going to install or not but if you ever need a hand, let me know!

p.s i doubt you will ever receive your turbo!
yeah, we'll see, i actually got some parts from him last week, though they are just the slim radiator fans, not a huge deal.

but all i need are injectors, air filter, vacuum manifold, the turbo, and the s-pipe.

i can just order all of those, and then have my shop fabricate a s-pipe rather than just sit and wait and drive around with my rediculous exhaust until i get the rest of my kit.

then if i get the parts from todd, i can either have spares, or sell them off. at this point, i just want the car done.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Geoff from Nurspec is awesome! He gets back to you in a very timely manner. Hope you get your stuff squared away Drax, as we know the reliability of Todd is....is....well...you know...
Old 09-06-2009, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hope it all works out drax. Another turbo TC so close to me
Old 09-06-2009, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mospeedtc
Hope it all works out drax. Another turbo TC so close to me
might have a 4th in a couple of months....seriously debating it!!!
Old 09-06-2009, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, i can't wait, quiet the car down, add another 75 whp and 100 lb-ft of torque.

zack, get the decendant tuner kit, some injectors and a piggyback ecu. Geoff can get you a good price on all that.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

id prob try to find a bnib used turbo kit or something with low miles, that way i could afford a clutch, flywheel, gauges, and a tune! i just have to see what i get from insurance and also what i have save so it will prob be about two months until i find out!
Old 09-06-2009, 05:51 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

yeah, i can't wait, quiet the car down, add another 75 whp and 100 lb-ft of torque.

zack, get the decendant tuner kit, some injectors and a piggyback ecu. Geoff can get you a good price on all that.

I dyno'd stock at 141hp 150tq
after the simple kit and pro tune i ended up with 298hp 301tq @ 11psi

all on the same dyno at the same place but at different times

a gain of 157hp 151tq...

and your going to a better turbo than what i had so idk what the turnout will be...have you ever gotten a dyno run in stock form? its nice to be able to compair and really see what your gains are after turbo.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

anyone local have a dezod kit? then we can do a 4 way run with 4 diff kit if Zac get the decendant one...

Quick Reply: turbotoytas simple kit+GT3071R (vid p 12, final results p 31)