Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

DIY: Switchblade Key Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Be sure to b REAL careful when removing the immobilzer chip, as I chipped mine and it no longer works. I just got back from the dealership getting new keys programmed, they're not cheap at all...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-13-2012, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i went to ebay and EVERY SINGLE toyota flip key gives me an error!!!! wtf? they got banned from ebay or something?
Old 09-13-2012, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280743652030
how bout this? bought two.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just arrived today. They look awesome! Like it better than the one in the first post.
The transmitter fits perfectly. It has the hole for the tiny led light. To bad you cant really see it because its right under your finger when you press the lock or unlck button. whatever is on the left side.... Not sure where to put the chip yet.... didnt see any special place for it. I might just glue it somewhere.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well ace hw and lowes did not wanted to copy my keys because of the chip. Took it to the dealer and they made a copy after telling me it won't work without programing. I said ok. only need it to open the doors. Tadaaaaam. Copied it for free

Sent from my Nintendo 64 using Tapatalk 64
Old 09-26-2012, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Tadaaaaam... Toyota dealership made a fresh cut from the vin number (they didnt use my key) aaaaand its not working! It opens the door but its not turning in the ignition. it slides in but wont turn. Missing the chip is not the problem. The original key turns without the chip but the motor wont start. Not sure what to do. My old key is completely broken apart. The chip is already glued in to the new one. Ace hw wont copy anything but their own keys. I went back with the broken apart key and when the manager was about to tell me they wont touch chipped keys I told him I only want to open the door but he said they only make new keys. Not cutting the stuff that I brought there. I might order the other key that everyone ordered. Btw the one I ordered is a little bit thicker. Not sure if thats the problem. But it does slides in the ignition. And as I said it opens the door.

Sent from my Nintendo 64 using Tapatalk 64
Old 09-27-2012, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had same problem with turning, but a little pressure might do it to "break-in" the new cut key to soften the edges....

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-27-2012, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Try some WD-40 on the key. Happend to me also..weird thing is that my key turns ignition but doesn't open the doors..
Old 09-27-2012, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

THANK ALL OF YOU!!! Somebody on facebook mention they tried to dremel it but it didn't work. So i figured i'll give it a shot. I got nothing to lose. After the trimming I sprayed it down with wd40 but did not expect anything. So got in the car and of course it did not turn. Then I applied some force and..... *CRACK* It turned 1/4 way. MORE FORCE!!! BUMM BADA BUMM! car started. I burst out laughing. I was so happy. I already ordered 3 other key. Meh whatever. I will try to sell it locally. Btw toyota cut me 2 keys so I trimmed the other one and actually I ended up cutting too much i was sure it wont work but id DIIIIIIIIIIIID! wohhooo!!!

Here is my pic.. left one * dealership fresh cut from VIN. middle one what I trimmed with dremel and the old (original) key on the right

Old 09-28-2012, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I could use one
Old 09-30-2012, 11:34 PM
SL Member

For those of you who may be experiencing problems with being able to turn the key but not starting, the little transponder inside the key needs to be within 4cm or less, otherwise the black receiver ring around the ignition cylinder cannot pickup the signal between it and the chip in your key. You can double check this by watching the immobilizer light stop flashing when you insert the key and the chip inside being close enough to the receiver. You can also you this information to work on a keyless push button start for keeping your keys for the lock/alarm feature and having a full wireless push button start.

I will be starting my own R&D when I can get some money to do so. I will also include pictures as the development progresses along.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RoboTuner
For those of you who may be experiencing problems with being able to turn the key but not starting, the little transponder inside the key needs to be within 4cm or less, otherwise the black receiver ring around the ignition cylinder cannot pickup the signal between it and the chip in your key. You can double check this by watching the immobilizer light stop flashing when you insert the key and the chip inside being close enough to the receiver. You can also you this information to work on a keyless push button start for keeping your keys for the lock/alarm feature and having a full wireless push button start.

I will be starting my own R&D when I can get some money to do so. I will also include pictures as the development progresses along.

Just to clarify I had no problem with the chip. I couldnt turn the key itself at all.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:20 PM

My brain is hurting trying to figure this out. To me it looks like if I were to put the guts of my key into the one in the OP, the panic button would be on bottom position where there is no button. Is this correct? I have the old 2005 gray/black keys and my lock button has just been torn off completely just yesterday, want to give this a try but not sure. Found some of these key fobs on ebay but they don't say Scion, only a few Toyota makes (Rav4, Corolla, Camery, I think...).
Old 10-23-2012, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

In my replacement key, it deleted the panic button. No, your not going to relocate the panic button anywhere. If the layout on the new key has the panic button at the right spot, you can use it.

Last edited by frankiietc; 10-23-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by frankiietc
No, your not going to relax ate the panic button anywhere.
What? So the panic button doesn't work then? To be honest I don't think I've ever clicked my alarm button before, will try later though. But I just want to be picky and have all my buttons work =/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330813147755?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619
This the key I'm looking at right now. I like how it doesn't say "Toyota" on it. I'd just been picturing in my mind how the guts would fit into the hole of that key and it doesn't seem to line up with the panic button on the top spot. My brain could be wrong though...
Old 10-23-2012, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah the panic button won't work on that key..
Old 10-24-2012, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What are you guys talking about??? All buttons are functional! look at this pic

All you have to do when you replace the inner piece is that you rotate it 90 degrees clockwise. so the upper unlock will be on the right. the bottom lock will be on the left and the left panic will be on the top.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:39 AM

When I look at the "gut" it looks asymmetric, like if you cut it in half both sides wouldn't look the same. There is a cut-out on the side where the transponder is. I didn't think you'd be able to switch it around...
Old 10-24-2012, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you have the key yet? Or you just panicking for nothing? Its should just drop right in. There is ONLY 1 way to install this. You can NOT mess it up.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by CSOCSO
Do you have the key yet? Or you just panicking for nothing? Its should just drop right in. There is ONLY 1 way to install this. You can NOT mess it up.
Who said I was panicking and what's wrong with asking first before throwing away some money? If I already had this key I wouldn't have to ask.

Quick Reply: DIY: Switchblade Key Conversion