Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

DIY: Switchblade Key Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It will work. Your welcome.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I know it's been years, but does anyone know where to find replacement buttons for this flip key? I'm looking for the smaller panic button, with the lightning bolt. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

So I ordered the keys that were linked a couple posts back. Got them in, replaced all the internals. That all seems like it went fine. Then I went to get them cut... The Lowes around me has a kiosk now, so that was a bust. The home depot refused to look at them. The local hardware store has a policy against cutting coded keys. My local locksmiths refuse to touch blanks that are not theirs. So, I went to the ol' failsafe of Walmart. They cut them for me... However, the keys will turn neither the ignition nor the door locks.

The cut looks somewhat crappy. Everything seems to be in the right spots, but the actual cut seems like it was at a slight angle. I'm going to try to flatten/straighten it out a bit with a dremel and/or file.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Failing that, I'm looking at buying another set of the blanks and trying to get the dealership to cut them for me.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Yoinx
So I ordered the keys that were linked a couple posts back. Got them in, replaced all the internals. That all seems like it went fine. Then I went to get them cut... The Lowes around me has a kiosk now, so that was a bust. The home depot refused to look at them. The local hardware store has a policy against cutting coded keys. My local locksmiths refuse to touch blanks that are not theirs. So, I went to the ol' failsafe of Walmart. They cut them for me... However, the keys will turn neither the ignition nor the door locks.

The cut looks somewhat crappy. Everything seems to be in the right spots, but the actual cut seems like it was at a slight angle. I'm going to try to flatten/straighten it out a bit with a dremel and/or file.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Failing that, I'm looking at buying another set of the blanks and trying to get the dealership to cut them for me.
I just had mine cut at a locksmith and they had to shave the tip of the blank down to better match the original key. Not sure if everyone has this issue, but the blank that came on my flip key was noticeably longer than the stock key. Luckily the smith I went to was legit and cut the blank to fit for only $3.50. You may be able to grind it down yourself, if you're handy, but your best bet is going to be the locksmith.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^
I had same problem. Ended up taking blank out of flipkey, then giving them the key for cutting at Ace hardware
Old 10-07-2013, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yoinx
So I ordered the keys that were linked a couple posts back. Got them in, replaced all the internals. That all seems like it went fine. Then I went to get them cut... The Lowes around me has a kiosk now, so that was a bust. The home depot refused to look at them. The local hardware store has a policy against cutting coded keys. My local locksmiths refuse to touch blanks that are not theirs. So, I went to the ol' failsafe of Walmart. They cut them for me... However, the keys will turn neither the ignition nor the door locks. The cut looks somewhat crappy. Everything seems to be in the right spots, but the actual cut seems like it was at a slight angle. I'm going to try to flatten/straighten it out a bit with a Dremel and/or file. Anyone had any experience with this? Failing that, I'm looking at buying another set of the blanks and trying to get the dealership to cut them for me.
I had something similar...

No one wanted to look at my keys. Took it to Toyota and they cut it for me fresh from VIN. ( They didn't copy my original key) It opened the doors but not turned in the ignition. It was easy to see that the new one had much sharper edges so I filed it down a little bit with Dremel.
It still didn't wanted to turn. So someone told me to put some wd40 on it and force it a little bit. That did the trick. It was scary tho. I was forcing it and forcing it then it popped. Felt like I broke something but actually its working since. Not a single problem.

Take it to a locksmith. Tell them its only a backup key for your doors. They should not refuse that. Take it to another shop if they refuse it.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-08-2018 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr. Badge
Old 04-17-2014, 01:12 AM
5 Year Member

Maybe a little bump here. I'm new, I have a 2014 xB. The key fob is different, its got a panic button to the top left, and the open and lock buttons down the center.

Any ideas? Id post a link, but I cant even find a pic online.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-28-2021 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr Badge
Old 05-16-2018, 05:37 PM
SL Member

Anyone know if you can still get this model with the Toyota stickers and front plate.