Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

New member with a key remote question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 01:52 AM

Default New member with a key remote question

Hi all, I tried to find the introduction thread, but can't seem to locate it. Anyways:

My name is Mike and I hail from Burbank, Ca. I do not own a Scion Tc, but my brother does. I'll be on here to ask a couple questions now and then such as this one

Which remote or key fob will work for a 2008 Scion Tc? I went to the stealership today and the only remote they said will work for the car is the remote with the key built into it. Can any other remotes for previous Tc years work for the 08? I figured the directions on programming the remotes work for all cars anyways, right?

Also, the key will need to be cut. Can I just take it to any other shop and make a copy of it for a few bucks? I dont wanna spend $250 at the dealers, and found one off ebay for like $60 shipped. Let me knows. great to be here =]
Old 12-01-2009, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will this help?

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=162974
Old 12-01-2009, 02:39 AM

Hmm...clever, but I doubt my brother would want me cutting up his key haha. Or were you taking in terms of just having a remote?
Old 12-01-2009, 02:41 AM

I wonder why programming like 04 scion remotes wouldnt work for the 08? If they have the same instruction for programming them, unless both cars have different chips for those certain key fobs
Old 12-01-2009, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well if he has a key that doesn't work, spending $20 and transferring the current key's guts to a new one makes more sense than spending hundreds at the dealer.

So I guess the question is then, why the replacement key?

(and yes, I believe the earlier keys are slightly different in some way)

Programming instructions should be the same throughout the years but that is only for the keyless entry part of it. There is also a transponder chip in each key that comes with the car that communicates with the car when the key is inserted - the car will not start without this chip.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by ack154
Well if he has a key that doesn't work, spending $20 and transferring the current key's guts to a new one makes more sense than spending hundreds at the dealer.

So I guess the question is then, why the replacement key?

(and yes, I believe the earlier keys are slightly different in some way)

Programming instructions should be the same throughout the years but that is only for the keyless entry part of it. There is also a transponder chip in each key that comes with the car that communicates with the car when the key is inserted - the car will not start without this chip.
I shouldve mentioned he doesnt have the key with the remote attached to it. He just has a plain spare. So are you saying that if I were to buy the 08 key fob from ebay, I would still need to install the chip somehow? Or do they come with the chips?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:57 AM

Are there any universal remotes that anyone has used for this car?
Old 12-01-2009, 08:07 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

there is no such thing as a universal remote for keyless entry. each one runs at different ranges.

to get another immobilizer chip... you'll need to spend the money at a dealership.
btw, the non-remote key does have a chip inside of it.

the immobilizer chip must be programmed for the ECU to recognize... a process that only dealerships and very, very, very rare few select specialized locksmiths can do.

looks like you'll be spending $250.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:39 PM

thats such BS. i wish this was some sort of alternative to getting a remote key. btw im trying to do this as a xmas gift for my bro incase your wondering
Old 12-01-2009, 05:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Damn that sucks. I'm assuming that he got the car used and that's all that came with it?

That seems to happen WAY too often. Why can't people take care of their crap...
Old 12-01-2009, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by ack154
Damn that sucks. I'm assuming that he got the car used and that's all that came with it?

That seems to happen WAY too often. Why can't people take care of their crap...
For all I know the girl is probably dead being that it was a roll over car =P. So yea, salvaged

Either way, a friend of ours won it at an auction for $5K and the sold it to my bro for $8k with only 25k miles. So we would have no way to contact the original owner of the car.

I noticed you said up above programming should be the same for keyless entries for all years. Do you think it would be possible to use an earlier keyless remote from another scion tc on this one?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Possibly but the only tC ones are actually on the key. You MIGHT be able to pick up one from an xA or an xB to use only the FOB for the keyless entry - but I can't guarantee that.