Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

no sound, tried new amp, speakers, and source. Still nothin!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 08:54 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Default no sound, tried new amp, speakers, and source. Still nothin!

OK So i was driving home listening to the new busta rhymes album when my amp cut out. I figured it over heated and the thermal shutdown engaged which it does from time to time. It never came back on. I figured it was a blown fuse. Fuses were fine. Then I figured either the sub died or the amp died. I tried a different sub, still n sound. Theres really nothing left but the amp. Swapped in a new amp. Still nothing. New RCA cables, nothing. New audio source, nothing. The only thing I havent tried is new speaker wire. The existing wire is a 3 foot long undamaged wire. I would think it would have to be a clean cut but we'll see. Any other thoughts?

For those keeping score at home...

No sound, Swapped in diff amp, diff sub, diff RCA cables, diff audio source. AMP gets power, fuses are fine. whats left to check??
Old 06-14-2006, 09:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

"Ground" Always check for proper grounding, without it the amp will not work.
Just a thought
Old 06-14-2006, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yeah I checked all the connections to the amp. The power LED comes on on both amps so everything should be straight.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

make sure the ground to the chassis (not on the amp) is tight and adequate... You can get enough to have the LED come on but the amp still not work because of insufficient ground...
Old 06-14-2006, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I had this same problem not to long ago. I was using an audiobahn amp and it has a layer of protection called a mute circuit. Basically if theres a sudden spike in power it blows this circuit(like a fuse) and you just have to have some one open the amp and reset it. All mine took was a flip of a switch.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Visually checking fuses is not enough. Break out the VOM and start chcking power and ground at the amp. Either you have no power, signal or everything in the car exploded at the same time causing a tear in the space/time continuum and now there is an audio black hole formed which will not allow any future equipment to work either.
Whichever you think is more plausable .
Old 06-14-2006, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

He said the lights on... so hes getting power... could be a bad ground like stated...

What is the amp?
Old 06-14-2006, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there music coming out of your regular speakers?
Old 06-14-2006, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member

yeah its possible that you could have blown a fuse on the oem audio side... check those
Old 06-15-2006, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

that's what you get for listening to busta rhymes...haha j/p

anyone mention to check the blue remote wire? possibly at back of the deck and at the amp? iono, just guessing...
Old 06-15-2006, 04:21 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Im not exactly sure how the amp could power on with a bad ground connection but I double checked it and its fine. Nice solid connection to the chassis.

If the amp had some sort of protection breaker type thing, which Im sure it doesnt because its about 4 or 5 years old, the problem wouldve been resolved when I tried a different amp.

The fuses are fine otherwise I doubt I would get any power.

There is sound coming from the stock system.

Could be the headunit pre-outs but I pretty much ruled that out when I hooked a new source up to the amp.

So... I am getting power, the fuses are fine, the amp(s) are good, the connections are good, the speakers are good and the source is good. Im leaning toward a tear in the space/time continuum.

I didnt really have a much time to really get my hands dirty tonight so Im still at a loss. Ive been messing around with car audio since I was about 15 and I have never seen anything like this lol.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:32 AM
5 Year Member

as stated above.. check the remote wire. That happened to me like a week after putting my stereo in. everything was fine one minute, then nothing! It turned out that I just overtighten the remote wire a little too much so it got mushed. Cut, fixed, and re-tightened and everything was back to bumpin'
Old 06-15-2006, 06:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The remote lead is fine at he amp but I havent checked the head unit. I'll look into it but Im 100% sure my amp will not power on without the remote lead connected so being that it does power on Im guessing thats not it. Im definitly going to double check though and I appreciate your response.

The one thing I havent checked yet is the speaker wire. I figured that there would have to be a clean cut to cause a problem and seeing as how the wire is completely intact I know that isnt the case. What I didnt think of until now is that perhaps there is a crimp in the line somewhere that is allowing the + and - to touch triggering protection circuitry in the amp as soon as it powers on.

Im sure its something silly like that and after I get out there and look at it for a few hours and start losing my temper and throwing things I'll find an obvious resolution that was staring me in the face the whole time.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Indeed... seems to happen that way every time...
Old 06-15-2006, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was thinking that maybe the speaker wire is touching eachother and canceling eachother out. Nevermind you said that 2 posts up as I quick reply. I would check on that