Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Quick sound deadening question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Quick sound deadening question...

I, like most of the other TC owners probably do, suffer from a ton of road noise in the cabin of my car, especially driving at freeway speeds. I want to try and get rid of some of that noise by sound deadening. Im not worried about weight or anything like that, just want to be able to talk on my cell phone and not have to repeat myself 30 times cause the person im talking to can't hear me while I'm driving down the road.

I don't have the money right now to spend on sound deadening mats like edead or dynamat. My question is, can I use rubberized undercoating in the spray can from my local autoparts store to get the same effect? I've read some about it on other forums but was wondering if anybody has gone this route and acheived satisfactory results.

Thanks in advance for the input!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:56 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

first off, if the other person can't hear you well on the other side.. another factor is it could be your headset..

which one are you using?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

the rubberized stuff will work somewhat,but.........by the time you buy enough to cover any amount of surface to any usable thickness you could of bought the right product and been happy.

buy a gallon of the liquid edead and you can do the entire car.......guaranteed to cut down on all noise.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Squall: for my BT I have a motorally h500. Piece of crap! I know. I rarely use it. I am usually on my headphones that came with the iPhone.

Bzinn: thanks, I didn't realize edead came in gallons I'll probably use that then.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:25 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

yea, you have the jawbone and plantronics has the audio IQ technology.. both are very well at noise cancelling.

whenever i call my friend when he's using his jawbone.. it's so friggin' clear..

too bad it doesn't help him hear me better though.. LOL.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

I did half a gallen on my floorboards,wheel wells inside and rear floor,then i did a bit more in the doors and body panels.....noticable sound differance.then I covered it with 120 sq ft of edead think it was 60mil.....car is quiet.But the liquid goes a long ways and really quiets the ride down a lot.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Look into Second Skin products also.....

Their Spectrum would be Ideal for you, also with their Spectrum spray you can coat the underside of your car and that will help with deadening a lot also.

If you were to use their products to quiet down your ride most effectively I would say use Spectrum spray on your underside and on the outside wheel wells, then use a layer of Deamplifier Pro on the inside of your car, in the hard to reach areas spray Spectrum, and then use Luxury Liner Pro.

The Second Skin Products are a little expensive, however if you can find alternatives for a better price, All power to you.

Basically you will need to look for Closed Cell Foams, to block unwanted noise. Also its good that weight isn't of concern to you because you will need dense objects (that weight a lot) to effectively reduce road noise.

See road noise is on the lower frequency spectrum, and those waves are difficult to isolate, they also do a good job of penetrating. So the most effective way to combat them is by applying mass law. Meaning the heavier or more dense the object, the harder time sound has to penetrate it.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

yep second skin works well on the floorboards and wells.....but yes it is spendy.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, like I said though, I don't have a ton of money to spend. But it seems like I should just save up first then spend on the right stuff
Old 12-04-2008, 11:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Quick sound deadening question...

Originally Posted by xIxAMxHOLLYWOODx
...can I use rubberized undercoating in the spray can from my local autoparts store to get the same effect?
No one should use that stuff except on the outside, underneath the car. It's VERY messy stuff, never really dries completely, stinks and isn't cheap when used in sufficient quantity. Not really worth considering for interior sound deadening/damping at all.

If you simply must use a cheap product, there are some that don't have all the issues mentioned above. There are a couple roofing compounds at Home Depot that work quite well, such as Henry 287 White Roof Coating ($72/5gal) and Henry 289 Solarflex Elastocaulk ($28/gal), although materials intended for the specific application are preferred.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea, I think I will just have to pop for the correct material. I think it will give me the results im looking for. I dont want to half a$$ it and end up having it not work and have to spend more money fixing the problem
Old 12-05-2008, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

A gallon of edead is $50....shipping is like $25 though,but a gallon will go along long way.....
Old 12-05-2008, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

3 layers of eDead v.1 everywhere and i cant hear a damn thing.
$1 and sq. ft so its not to pricy either.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do not buy the edead.

I used the newest butly based stuff and it comes off in the summer heat.....really it wasnt even summer yet and it had peeled off.

yes I cleaned the surface and yes I made sure there were no air bubbles

I installed second skin and its not going anywhere.

The edead will still come off just by tugging on it, the second skin is almost cemented on.

You can tell a big diffrance in product just by feeling it. The edeads backing just feels cheap.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

If I have no experience doing something like this, is it a good idea to do it on my own? I'm not a total moron, but it'd suck to screw something up.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:17 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

Trader
SL Member

id rather be able to take the eDead off if need be than have something thats near impossible to get off.

(i already had to take off some of the eDead to get some holes that i coverd.)

and davedood. yes you can do it by yourself, if youve ever used tape you can use sound deadining manterial.

just peel the backing snd stick where desired. (like i said earlier, all you have to do is make sure you dont cover any holes that will need to have bolts or clips put in them later)
Old 12-05-2008, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

if u need sound deadening buy stuff called 'fatmat' from ebay. same stuff as dynamat and its cheaper; forms really well to anything and you get a lot of sheets for your $ (i've got extra from my hatch install to do the rest of the car all from one order for like $50)
Old 12-05-2008, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

yeah edead would probably not be the best to use in Texas or Arizona where cars get super hot.After reading up on a few sites where they compared all the materials edead would come off in the high high heat.Dont remember what did the best.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

here is the best sound deadening comparison

breaks down everything you need to know about all the top deadeners

be sure to look through all of the categories at the top right

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/